Ampoliros

Venture Bros Season 4

Post by Ampoliros »

Starts tonight!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Redstar

Re: Venture Bros Season 4

Post by Redstar »

Thanks for the post. I would have totally missed it... Set it for record.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Go Team Venture!

Recorded it, but haven't watched it yet. :sad:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Well I recorded it, watch the first 15 minutes, and after the commercial break the show looped back to the beginning... I only saw the first 15 minutes and missed the ending. I'll have to catch the rest online.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I had to watch it twice, WTF!

and WTF

and WTF WTF WTF!

:shock:
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I just watched this online because I haven't had TV at home since I moved last, but DAMN that was sweet and weird.

I can cross "Stab Hitler to death off the list of cool crap I thought I never get to do".
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

"Waaaaait, you guys are Nazi's!"
"Nein, we're not!"
"Yes you are and that's the worst fake German accent I've ever heard."
"This is und outrage!"
"Yours is worse..."
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I may have enjoyed it better if I didn't have to watch the last 15 minutes on Youtube, but it was kinda a let-down...

I feel it revealed too many things at once. SPHINX was clearly a big twist, really something I did not expect to be anything more than a background concept from the OSI flashbacks. I'm looking forward to figuring that out.

Unfortunately, the revelation that Hunter Gathers did not have a sex-change seems like a cop-out. It was an interesting and thoughtful representation of transexuality that became nothing more than a ruse. Didn't appreciate that.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm pretty sure Hunter did have the sex change and just had it reversed. The same doctor is still working for him so if they went into it prepared there is no reason that they couldn't reverse it (in the Venture World)

Besides, Brock would know if it was fake, he saw him on the table and double-checked, he had seen Hunter feature dance at the strip club, and we know he found Hunter's Keys which were very obviously hidden in a forward cavity.

Also apparently this is the 7th episode produced for season 4 and it takes place over a period of 8 months so its possible that parts of Season 4 are supposed to happen in between events in this episode.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I'm not questioning whether the sex change happened or not, but the reasoning behind it. Lots of the dialogue given to Hunter even before and after his given sex change (years, sometimes as long as a decade) suggests he's a transexual. The premiere suggests it was all a ploy, and he wasn't really interested in being a woman. If that's how it works out, then it was taking one of the few good representations of transexuality in major media and making it something that a real man wouldn't actually do.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

He still did the change to get out of OSI. I'm sure he enjoyed being a woman, he worked in a Strip Club. These changes also helped him infiltrate the Blackhearts. I hope we learn through the rest of the season why and how he got to where he did, but unfortunately I think most of that will be in the second half of the season which isnt airing till next year.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Well, again, Youtube brought down the impact. Once I can ease into it I'm sure I'll accept and enjoy a lot of this.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Last episode, The Revenge Society... Is now my favorite. The entire thing was hilarious. This show has really reached its pinnacle in this season.

But. Anyone else feel things are going a little too fast? The Monarch lost arching Dr. Venture and went through several other arches in only a few episodes, then culminating in gaining Dr. Venture, Jr. as an arch. Brilliant, right? Well, that only lasted one episode. Wouldn't it have been great if we had a season-long arc of the Monarch arching Dr. Venture, Jr. and then climaxing in his gambit to regain his true love-hate?

And now, four episodes into season four, the ORB has been revealed to be a dud... When it was introduced in the final few episodes of last season. (I'm thinking this is just to throw us off, but we'll see)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Isn't there a rule about only speaking English on this board?

:?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Isn't there a rule about only speaking English on this board?

:?

HBJ
TRANSLATION: But. Anyone else feel things are going a little too fast? The Monarch [a Monarch Butterfly-themed supervillain] lost arching ["arching", as in "arch-rival"] Dr. Venture [a bald, red-headed and jaded "super"-scientist that doesn't invent anything. Has father-issues and emotional trauma due to being a child adventurer in the style of Jonny Quest]] and went through several other arches [the Monarch's girlfriend accepted his proposal only if he promised to stop arching Dr. Venture] in only a few episodes, then culminating in gaining Dr. Venture, Jr. [Dr. Jonas Venture, Jr. is the other Dr. Venture's twin brother, whom he had absorbed in the womb and later "gave birth" to] as an arch. Brilliant, right? Well, that only lasted one episode. Wouldn't it have been great if we had a season-long arc of the Monarch arching Dr. Venture, Jr. and then climaxing in his gambit to regain his true love-hate? [The Monarch has a... rather strange, sexual kind of obsessional hate for Dr. Venture]

And now, four episodes into season four, the ORB [the ORB is a spherical-device worked on since the dawn of civilization, with each great mind adding something to it. No one knows what it does, yet it was feared it had power beyond human understand] has been revealed to be a dud... When it was introduced in the final few episodes of last season. (I'm thinking this is just to throw us off, but we'll see)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah. And there you have it.

Actually, I haven't ever understood anything in this thread, never having seen any of the show. :)
Redstar wrote:[The Monarch has a... rather strange, sexual kind of obsessional hate for Dr. Venture]
Strangely, I can relate to this....
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Watching the Venture Bros will make you hate KJA even more. Okay not directly, simply through the fact that Venture Bros is probably the best written and most creative show ever made, even better than BSG. If you do choose to watch it, try to find the first season because the series does have spoilers and quite a brilliant evolution in the overall story line. [adult swim] posts most of the episodes online but you might have to dig for episodes from Season 1.

Seriously, how can you not watch and love a series that features a super-villain who actually pulls off a butterfly theme. The Monarch belongs in every Top 5 Best Villains Ever list.

The Revenge Society was probably one of the best episodes of the season and probably of the series.

"Why can't I hear them?"
"Because you are SANE!"

"...! I wanna go back in my bag!"

Also, I seriously doubt the story of ORB is over.

There is a lot of hope that AS will give Venture Bros an hour long slot for Season 5. So far 4 of the 5 episodes from Season 4 have dropped the intro in order to squeeze a few more seconds of story in. Also Season 4 is 3 episodes longer than usual, so if the story seems to be going faster don't forget we're getting much more out of the season. The waiting is the hardest part, this is the first season that I've actually been paying attention to the broadcast dates, I've had the luxury of watching every other season on DVD without having to wait.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I like Home Movies.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Ampoliros wrote:"Why can't I hear them?"
"Because you are SANE!"

"...! I wanna go back in my bag!"
There were so many great parts of the episode, such as Sergeant Hatred telling Hank about the birds and the bees... and the little eggs, but I definitely :laughing: when "Revenge" was introducing the other members of his team.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Thanks for the translation Redstar. :) There wasn't a sentence in your original post that I could even infer the meaning of.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Made perfect sense to me. :shifty:

:laughing: