KJA has brought in younger readers to Dune.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: KJA has brought in younger readers to Dune.

Post by SandChigger »

Futar wrote:FH Dune too complex? I read GEoD first and still came back for more...
Yes, but you have hairy palms. And what have we told you about cleaning up after yourself?

FREEEEEEEAK! Dammit, he has SHED all over the sofa and cushions in the main sietch lounge again. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

man, freaking stoopid ISP...I'm missing all this

ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME? KJA DOES ONE THING AND THATS FUCK UP EVERY UNIVERSE HE TOUCHES. EVEN HIS OWN!

Read some of the questions/comments here or in the reviews on Amazon. Please, please respond to those in a logical manner. "To Build Tension" doesn't work.

KJA teaches youth one thing: consistency doesn't matter, only getting your name on 86-point font of a recognized fanboygasm property matters. Ignoring criticism matters. Sending Fanboys to fight his battles matters.

I'll say this here because I'm to polite to post it on Amazon: If you like KJA and actually consider him an intellectual writer then you have several connections in your brain that are not working right. Liking him for mindless action is fine, thats what he writes. DUNE is not mindless action, no matter how many attempts KJA gets at re-writting it as a napkin for fan-boy drool.

KJA does not bring younger readers into Dune. Anyone who liked KJA's nuDune enough to read more wont understand what hits them when they read Frank Herbert. Anyone of the level that can get and understand DUNE will realize that KJA is a cheap rip-off.

You know why I hate KJA? Its cause I write better than he does. I'm an aspiring writer, yet I'm still learning because I know my own writing in its current state sucks fucking ass. KJA has no talent, he only got where is by adopting a parasitic mentality that allows him to detach his own success from the massive label DUNE and STAR WARS or X-FILES on the cover.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Futar

Post by Futar »

SandChigger wrote:
Futar wrote:FH Dune too complex? I read GEoD first and still came back for more...
Yes, but you have hairy palms. And what have we told you about cleaning up after yourself?

FREEEEEEEAK! Dammit, he has SHED all over the sofa and cushions in the main sietch lounge again. :twisted:

i know im sorry im not one of those hairless futars :tissue2:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Futar wrote:one of those hairless futars
They have those now, too?! :shock:

I WANT ONE!!! :lol:

(Just kidding about the mess, though. At least you're not CRAPPING on the board like some of the other new "members". ;) )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Re. bringing young readers:

It does not freaking good if those readers become anaesthetized against Franks points. Sandworms completely undercuts Frank's point about heroes, for instance.

I have had arguments with adult KJA fans (Byron included) who were unable to read "You could never distrust a machine". If you are going to read Dune that way, why even bother?

PS: And then there was the guy who thought "island" could mean "space station".
Schu

Post by Schu »

Well, I for one hold out hope that some people can read KJA's overly-accessible novels as an overture, come to Frank's novels, realise that what KJA writes is utter trash and keep reading the real dune. I think most of the people that would fall into that category would go straight for dune though.

And Bijaz, thirded, brilliant.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I'm gonna throw in my two cents, because I am a "young reader" (I'm fifteen). NuDune is shit. I've read the originals many times and their depth is wayyyyy beyond that of the crap one-level weak-story-lined things that pass as "DUNE" in bookstores. God Emperor I can just open up to a random page and find an awesome passage, and before I know it, I'll be twenty pages in after that passage. It is my favorite Dune book in fact. Currently, I'm reading Ulysses, by James Joyce, probably one of the three most challenging books written in the twentieth century. Give it a whirl, KJASF! I'm serious. Try it.

Anyway, now my point. The only kids stupid enough to appreciate NuDune, don't read. They watch movies and listen to iPods, but never venture into books beyond school reading. Trust me. I know kids who are among the smartest in the school who still consider reading beyond their attention span. If I admitted I read books twenty times harder than the crap we read for school, for fun, nobody would believe it. Yeah, KJA sucks.

(I will agree that Heretics is a bit unengaging in the beginning, but the scenes after the first few more than make up for it..the Teg scenes=bloody brilliant.)
Leto

Post by Leto »

Sandwurm88 wrote: (I will agree that Heretics is a bit unengaging in the beginning, but the scenes after the first few more than make up for it..the Teg scenes=bloody brilliant.)
I agree, the beginning of HoD is difficult, you doubt about the quality of it (especially after GEoD), but the legacy of Leto, the Teg controversy about his link to the BG, his transmutation, aso... shift the thing!
If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets
Gurney Halleck
KJA ? Keep Just Away?
Filo
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I thought the beginning of Heretics was amazing. I loved how he dropped you in the future and you had no idea which side was more powerful anymore.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Schu

Post by Schu »

Hey KJASF, how many of Frank Herbert's Dune books have you read?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Ampoliros wrote:I thought the beginning of Heretics was amazing. I loved how he dropped you in the future and you had no idea which side was more powerful anymore.
Same here. After four books in the same time period, Heretics was really something fresh. It felt really "modern", in a way.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Redstar wrote:
Ampoliros wrote:I thought the beginning of Heretics was amazing. I loved how he dropped you in the future and you had no idea which side was more powerful anymore.
Same here. After four books in the same time period, Heretics was really something fresh. It felt really "modern", in a way.
I hated HoD and CH:D at first, but they have really grown on me with re-reading. I especially like the inside view of the BG.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:I especially like the inside view of the BG.
I like this as well. It gives Frank a chance to look a humanity from yet another viewpoint.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity