Georgia Flood '09

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Georgia Flood '09

Post by Freakzilla »

I never thought I'd see a flood in Georgia. How the hell does it flood where it's so hilly? Well, creeks and streams made those hills...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/21/southe ... nnSTCPhoto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've had 12 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, almost two feet since last week.

The road that my neighborhood is on, Baker's Bridge, is washed out, the nearest state highway, GA 92, is flooded in both directions and five people are dead.

My back porch ceiling is leaking, running down the wall and into the basement, but it's not bad.

The schools were closed today and will be tomorrow. I didn't go to work today and I'm not sure about tomorrow.

Forcasts call for more rain tonight.

:shock:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Re: Georgia Flood '09

Post by Seraphan »

Christ! Looks like you're into hell tonight. The worst that's happened around here is the low temperatures.
Either way, be careful man, and i know how fixing leaks can be a royal pain in the ass.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Dune Nerd

Post by Dune Nerd »

The rain is causing flood watch conditions but we have not had anything major yet. The only annoyance I have had is the fact that it rains everytime I start my mower up. I am concerned to go into the backyard for fear of a wild boar attack.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:I never thought I'd see a flood in Georgia. How the hell does it flood where it's so hilly? Well, creeks and streams made those hills...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/09/21/southe ... nnSTCPhoto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've had 12 inches of rain in the last 24 hours, almost two feet since last week.

The road that my neighborhood is on, Baker's Bridge, is washed out, the nearest state highway, GA 92, is flooded in both directions and five people are dead.

My back porch ceiling is leaking, running down the wall and into the basement, but it's not bad.

The schools were closed today and will be tomorrow. I didn't go to work today and I'm not sure about tomorrow.

Wasn't it last year at this time when you were posting pics of dry lake beds after a serious drought?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sorry. man. Was thinking about you today when I saw the flooding in GA

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Nekhrun wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:I never thought I'd see a flood in Georgia. How the hell does it flood where it's so hilly? Well, creeks and streams made those hills...

Wasn't it last year at this time when you were posting pics of dry lake beds after a serious drought?
Yes, we're still four feet below full pool, unbelievably. 10% of the state is still in a drought condition.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

Yes, we're still four feet below full pool, unbelievably. 10% of the state is still in a drought condition.
What a mess. We're in the strangest summer weather pattern I've ever seen up here as well. Drought down here, too much rain ruining crops in the North.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Dont get me started about CA.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:Dont get me started about CA.
At least you have legal marijuana.

:obscene-smokingweed:
~Pink Snowman
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Speaking of bad weather, a few days ago, weeks, i saw and heard the greatest thunder storm in my life.

It was around 06:00 here when what i can only describe as an explosion, literally made me jump off my sleep. It was insane, every single thunder roared like it was hiting just outside my window, my dog and my birds were all in an uproar.
It was the craziest shit. :shock:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've never hear thunder like I did last night, I didn't sleep at all. It was nearly constant and there were several lightning strikes I swear had to be in my yard.
~Pink Snowman
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Power has gone off and on most of the week due to rains here in Missouri, too. Glad it's not 93, and I'm not near the River.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Oh yeah, Pauldng county is under a Boil Water advisory, they called us at the crack of dawn. I guess the sewers have backed up into the supply. :(

I feel a lot better about my insignificant basement leak after watching the local news, it's bad out there.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

E. LeGuille wrote:Power has gone off and on most of the week due to rains here in Missouri, too. Glad it's not 93, and I'm not near the River.
That line of storms is due here this weekend.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Maybe it's the End Times or something.

Everyone I know has weird weather stories from this year. Example: we had some thunder back in June, like for three days in a row, that really did sound like Thor and his buddies were finally entering their Ragnarok phase.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:Maybe it's the End Times or something.
I asked mom if we should start building an ark. :P
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Power is out for 28,000 Georgia residents.

I just saw on the news that Sweetwater Creek is now flowing over I-20. That was the only open road I know of to get to work.

Bummer. :P
~Pink Snowman
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Wow Freak.

Please be careful.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:Wow Freak.

Please be careful.
Thanks, if the county police are asking people to stay home tomorrow, I will.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

Lanier, which is still four feet low, has risen 1.5 feet since midnight. Alatoona, the other major reserviour has risen 8 feet in the past two days.
~Pink Snowman
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

All I know is that this winter is going to be really bad. I literally had my car, frozen in a block of ice, above ground, about 3 years ago.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

The death toll is up to 8.

I tried to go to work this morning. I sat in traffic for about an hour and a half and didn't get out of my city. I gave up and went home. The news reports I-20 is now open, will try again tomorrow.

State insurance commisioner estimates $250 million in damages.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Make that 10.
~Pink Snowman
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Crazy stuff, Freak. Even with more rain tonight, I don't expect the whole Georgia situation to get too out of hand. At least it's not a hurricane closing in on your state.

Weather has been just about as wacky this summer as it has in the last few years. Although I definitely wouldn't call it a scorcher. Instead of sunny days or rainy days, we had sunny hours and rainy hours. Lots of rapid changes but nothing distastrous. Ah, except that tornado in Toronto:

"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

We get lots of tornados and hurricanes. The lack of recent hurricanes and tropical storms is what caused our recent drought. Never do they flood us though.
~Pink Snowman