Georgia Flood '09

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

KJA Special Forces

Re: Georgia Flood '09

Post by KJA Special Forces »

I had no idea there was so much floods. Lets hope its not as badd as Rain Storm Katrina was a couple years ago.
"I always had this non-stop drive. I had to keep sending stories out and every once in awhile I'd get something accepted or get the little trickle of positive feedback. " KJA
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

KJA Special Forces wrote:I had no idea there was so much floods. Lets hope its not as badd as Rain Storm Katrina was a couple years ago.
No, not even close. However, people in Georgia are not used to these types of things.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
KJA Special Forces

Is Atlanta under sea level?

Does Atlanta have the levies?
"I always had this non-stop drive. I had to keep sending stories out and every once in awhile I'd get something accepted or get the little trickle of positive feedback. " KJA
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

KJA Special Forces wrote:Is Atlanta under sea level?

Does Atlanta have the levies?
Atlanta is about 1,000 feet above sea level, the area that was hit hardest is about 2,000 feet above sea level.

We do not have levies but we have a multitude of hills with creeks and streams between. The ground was saturated by a week of continuous rain, then we got over a foot of rain in one night. It had no place to go but up. Those that lived near the streams were flooded, many roads and bridges were flooded or washed away.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
KJA Special Forces

Thanks freakzilla, I had no idea any of this was happening, or why it happend.

Appreciate the civil response.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

KJA Special Forces wrote:
Playing the victim in this thread too?
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

KJA Special Forces wrote:Thanks freakzilla, I had no idea any of this was happening, or why it happend.

I have been nothing but civil to you.
~Pink Snowman
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Freakzilla wrote:
KJA Special Forces wrote:Thanks freakzilla, I had no idea any of this was happening, or why it happend.

Hey Special Forces, this is not the thread for your B.S.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Yes, we are still drying out here in GA. I was told today that my phone would be out for 3 to 5 more days. Thank god the DSL line is still up!

Freakzilla wrote:

I know. I really appreciate it Freakzilla. You are a classy fellow!
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Freakzilla wrote:

Freakzilla might be a bit misguided: P , but he is always polite, and extremely knowledgeable about Dune. I was hoping to meet him in person at the DC Dune Panel but I had to cancel my plans to attend. Maybe next year.

Did you ever host your recording of it?

Post by Freakzilla »

Freakzilla wrote:

~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Freakzilla might be a bit misguided: P , but he is always polite, and extremely knowledgeable about Dune. I was hoping to meet him in person at the DC Dune Panel but I had to cancel my plans to attend. Maybe next year.

Did you ever host your recording of it?

Misguided... in that he's passionate about a serious work of literature and sad to see if reduced to pulp (and poorly done pulp at that) by KJA? Doesn't sound misguided to me.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:Did you ever host your recording of it?
It is taking me some time to get it down to manageable sized files, but it will be up soon.
~Pink Snowman
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Freakzilla wrote:
It is taking me some time to get it down to manageable sized files, but it will be up soon.
Great - I am interested to hear what was said...

redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
I am as well looking forward to hearing this discussion.

One thing that KJA has done, that I think is valid, is he has been able to make Dune more accessable to a younger generation of readers. I think this is a valid addition to the dune fan base. The reason that younger readers can handle KJA more so then FH is as you guys point out often, FH used far more advanced vocabulary and story telling techniques that can be confussing for younger/less experienced readers.

Valid point Freakzilla?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

What county are you in red'? I'm in Paulding.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

One thing that KJA has done, that I think is valid, is he has been able to make Dune more accessable to a younger generation of readers. I think this is a valid addition to the dune fan base. The reason that younger readers can handle KJA more so then FH is as you guys point out often, FH used far more advanced vocabulary and story telling techniques that can be confussing for younger/less experienced readers.

Valid point Freakzilla?
Wrong topic, for one thing.

I read Dune when I was 13.

Try again.
~Pink Snowman
KJA Special Forces

Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Valid point Freakzilla?

Try again.
But can I assume you are a more advanced reader then most 13yr olds? Il make a new topic ok Freakzilla?
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Valid point Freakzilla?

Try again.
I read Dune just a few years ago - but when I was 8 I read (and comprehended) The Lord of the Rings, so I'd say kids can handle a decent amount of advanced vocab. :roll:

Dune is SERIOUS literature, dumbing it down to a preschool level doesn't do anyone any good, and it certainly doesn't help young readers get into REAL Dune, because KJA has contradicted the originals SO MANY TIMES that when people start with his books and go on to the originals they are TOTALLY LOST. I saw tons of people logging in at DN who had become so confused by the contradictions that reading KJA's books first entirely ruined their experience with the real Dune.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

ImageImageImage
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
KJA Special Forces

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:

Valid point Freakzilla?

Try again.
I read Dune just a few years ago - but when I was 8 I read (and comprehended) The Lord of the Rings, so I'd say kids can handle a decent amount of advanced vocab. :roll:

Dune is SERIOUS literature, dumbing it down to a preschool level doesn't do anyone any good, and it certainly doesn't help young readers get into REAL Dune, because KJA has contradicted the originals SO MANY TIMES that when people start with his books and go on to the originals they are TOTALLY LOST. I saw tons of people logging in at DN who had become so confused by the contradictions that reading KJA's books first entirely ruined their experience with the real Dune.

I made a topic for it casue Freakzilla did not want it in ths topic
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Thanks
~Pink Snowman