Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

Post by Freakzilla »

Posted: 6:53 am EDT September 15, 2009
Updated: 7:38 am EDT September 15, 2009

BALTIMORE, Md. -- Baltimore police say a Johns Hopkins University medical student armed with a samurai sword killed an intruder in his garage.

Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi says campus police and an off-duty city officer responding to a call for a suspicious person heard screams to call police around 1:20 a.m. Tuesday.

Guglielmi says the student told the man he found in his garage to leave and the man accosted him. That's when Guglielmi says the student defended himself, cutting off the man's hand and causing a severe laceration to his upper body.

He says the man died at the scene, but police are not yet releasing his name.

Police are interviewing the student and others and are talking to prosecutors about whether to file charges.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Swordmaster, was that you? :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

Post by SandRider »

cutting off the hand, huh ?

musta been a real sword. I've got a "decorative" kantana, steel unsharpened blade,
hanging up now, but I used to wear it to reenactments back after that Tom Cruise
"Last Samurai" movie - had an elaborate story for the hardcore nay-sayers.

anyway, the blade is blunt, but you could surely beat the hell out of somebody with it.

shock effect of pulling it out might help, too.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Pretty much what would happen if I caught somebody breaking into my home, except replace "samurai sword" with ".45" and "cut of his hand" with "shot him in the face."
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

I saw this on the Kendo world forum. As a practitioner of Kendo, Iaido and Niten I float around on those sites and when I saw this I could completely understand why he did it. I mean they had already been broken into before, but its things like this which means I have to pay a yearly licence fee and over the top customs import charges to get my Iaito (blunted Katana) in order to practice Iaido a charge I have to pay every time I go to a seminar outside of the UK (roughly $100). But hats off to the guy for defending himself I'd have done the same.

Actual Artical
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 7961.story
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

How much does a non-blunted one cost?

Genuine Antique - $10000 AU: http://www.genuine-antique-swords.com/g ... katana.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New (as cheap as) - $100 US: http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/masahiro ... rd265.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

A real katana is going to cost at least several thousand dollars, they are extremely labour intensive to make and sharpen (sharpening one takes weeks and costs a lot). The ones you can buy for cheap are probably cut out of a sheet of metal and ground to shape - a real katana starts off as a perfectly striaght blade, and gets it's curve from the difference in how they temper the cutting edge and the back edge (they mostly harden the cutting edge only, and leave the back softer, this allows the sword to have a little "give" and is what makes it so much stronger than western swords).
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Those I liked to claimed to be hand-forged.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

It would be interesting to find out if they got a proper katana forging though, hand forged could just mean they beat it into shape and simply quenched the whole blade. Tough to say. High carbon steel is definitely a good sign though.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Well, I guess now that they're taking the guns away from citizens, a sword is the next best self-defense option for your home :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've always advocated making hand-guns for private citizens illegal,
(despite my hatred and loathing of the government & police - it's a quandry)

what is illegal and shouldn't be are short-barreled pistol-grip shotguns for "self-defense".

then again, my idiot brother has a fucking arsenal, including an illegally converted AR-15
and some kinda Russian sub-machine gun, several 9mm pistols & so on, and is a complete
pussy, away from his fantasy life where he's John Wayne.

I've got 2 1862 Springfield replicas I really can't be bothered to fire any more,
a 410 shotgun for skunks and an axe handle under the seat of the pickup truck.

I've busted more heads open with that axe handle over the years than black people
my brother has claimed he's going to shoot, one day, you just wait ...

of course, one of his sons, the stupidest of my idiot nephews, blew a 2 foot hole
in the floorboard of his truck with a shotgun last year. Shot himself in the foot with
a revolver a few years back, and killed a cow when he was a teenager, shooting arrows
up into the air.

my point being, I guess, that if you think you need a gun for "self-defense", well more
power to you ... I've never felt the need.
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

You are my hero again. :D
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

what the fuck do you mean again ?
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

You worry about it.

I'm busy with pavers today. :P
Bijaz

Post by Bijaz »

Laphtiya wrote:I saw this on the Kendo world forum. As a practitioner of Kendo, Iaido and Niten I float around on those sites and when I saw this I could completely understand why he did it.
I'm sure Iwami-sensei would only have needed a bokuto :wink:
They may take yairrrr Frreedom, but they ken nivverrrr take yairrrr Duuuunnne!
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

@Sandrider

What about this for a short barreled pistol grip shotgun:

cos I own one.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

The sad fact is that we live in a world that is increasingly more and more violent with each passing day. With each day that goes by, it becomes difficult for an honest, upstanding citizen to purchase a firearm, whether it is for fun, sport, hunting, or protection. It gets easier for the criminal to come across weapons in an illegal fashion.

I own several firearms- an H&K USP (9mm), S&W 1911 (.45), Ruger MKIII (.22) and a Remington 870 Express 12-Guage Shotgun.

Have I ever shot anyone? No, I haven't. Nor do I want to. But the thought of someone breaking into my house to hurt or kill my family is enough that I feel I need that extra protection. I am not a small guy...against an unarmed and untrained opponent I feel like I would do well with my bare hands. But if an armed intruder breaks into my home I want every advantage I can get to ensure that my family are the ones that walk away from the incident. Violence doesn't always approach in a home setting, either. Two years ago in KC a man walked into Ward Parkway mall and starting shooting at people randomly. He killed two people he didn't even know. Violence can reach out and touch anyone at any time, and if it comes for me, I want to be ready.

Do I think it makes me tough? Not at all. You can definitely tell the people that buy weapons to compensate for...well, you know what.

I will get down off my soapbox now...

"Guns are great for when the zombies come, but remember that knives don't run out of bullets."
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

smugetsu wrote:The sad fact is that we live in a world that is increasingly more and more violent with each passing day. With each day that goes by, it becomes difficult for an honest, upstanding citizen to purchase a firearm, whether it is for fun, sport, hunting, or protection. It gets easier for the criminal to come across weapons in an illegal fashion.

I own several firearms- an H&K USP (9mm), S&W 1911 (.45), Ruger MKIII (.22) and a Remington 870 Express 12-Guage Shotgun.

Have I ever shot anyone? No, I haven't. Nor do I want to. But the thought of someone breaking into my house to hurt or kill my family is enough that I feel I need that extra protection. I am not a small guy...against an unarmed and untrained opponent I feel like I would do well with my bare hands. But if an armed intruder breaks into my home I want every advantage I can get to ensure that my family are the ones that walk away from the incident. Violence doesn't always approach in a home setting, either. Two years ago in KC a man walked into Ward Parkway mall and starting shooting at people randomly. He killed two people he didn't even know. Violence can reach out and touch anyone at any time, and if it comes for me, I want to be ready.

Do I think it makes me tough? Not at all. You can definitely tell the people that buy weapons to compensate for...well, you know what.

"Guns are great for when the zombies come, but remember that knives don't run out of bullets."
Do you mean if you'd been there you would have shot back at him in a mall full of people? :shock:

Maybe if guns weren't so readily available there wouldn't be so many people getting shot at when they're out shopping.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
smugetsu wrote:The sad fact is that we live in a world that is increasingly more and more violent with each passing day. With each day that goes by, it becomes difficult for an honest, upstanding citizen to purchase a firearm, whether it is for fun, sport, hunting, or protection. It gets easier for the criminal to come across weapons in an illegal fashion.

Do you mean if you'd been there you would have shot back at him in a mall full of people? :shock:
Not with a handgun, I would with a rifle. One shot, one kill.
Maybe if guns weren't so readily available there wouldn't be so many people getting shot at when they're out shopping.
Yeah, and maybe if we took away all the spoons we wouldn't be obese. :roll:
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Freakzilla wrote:
chanilover wrote:

Do you keep your rifle in your manbag?
You don't use cutlery in McDonalds, but it doesn't stop these tubs of lard from getting even fatter.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

chanilover wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
chanilover wrote:

Do you keep your rifle in your manbag?
Don't own one.
You don't use cutlery in McDonalds, but it doesn't stop these tubs of lard from getting even fatter.
And people would still commit murder without guns.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

^^^

Agreed, but guns make multiple murders much easier. I'd rather my chances in outrunning a maniac with a knife than a maniac with a gun. The 'take away the spoons' comment doesn't really carry much weight, for the same reason. All the gun does is give the person with the intent to commit murder a much more efficient way of taking out as many people as possible. It's all about containment, and giving up the right to gun ownership as a means of trying to reduce the murder rate is pretty low-down on the scale of fundamental human rights. Guns increase the murder rate, they don't decrease it, just as plying weak-willed people with overlarge portions of high-fat food turns them into fat slobs.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Really? Explain this: 25 years murder-free in 'Gun Town USA'. Crime rate plummeted after law required firearms for residents

As the nation debates whether more guns or fewer can prevent tragedies like the Virginia Tech Massacre, a notable anniversary passed last month in a Georgia town that witnessed a dramatic plunge in crime and violence after mandating residents to own firearms.

In March 1982, 25 years ago, the small town of Kennesaw – responding to a handgun ban in Morton Grove, Ill. – unanimously passed an ordinance requiring each head of household to own and maintain a gun. Since then, despite dire predictions of "Wild West" showdowns and increased violence and accidents, not a single resident has been involved in a fatal shooting – as a victim, attacker or defender.

The crime rate initially plummeted for several years after the passage of the ordinance, with the 2005 per capita crime rate actually significantly lower than it was in 1981, the year before passage of the law.

Prior to enactment of the law, Kennesaw had a population of just 5,242 but a crime rate significantly higher (4,332 per 100,000) than the national average (3,899 per 100,000). The latest statistics available – for the year 2005 – show the rate at 2,027 per 100,000. Meanwhile, the population has skyrocketed to 28,189.

By comparison, the population of Morton Grove, the first city in Illinois to adopt a gun ban for anyone other than police officers, has actually dropped slightly and stands at 22,202, according to 2005 statistics. More significantly, perhaps, the city's crime rate increased by 15.7 percent immediately after the gun ban, even though the overall crime rate in Cook County rose only 3 percent. Today, by comparison, the township's crime rate stands at 2,268 per 100,000.

This was not what some predicted.

In a column titled "Gun Town USA," Art Buchwald suggested Kennesaw would soon become a place where routine disagreements between neighbors would be settled in shootouts. The Washington Post mocked Kennesaw as "the brave little city … soon to be pistol-packing capital of the world." Phil Donahue invited the mayor on his show.

Reuters, the European news service, today revisited the Kennesaw controversy following the Virginia Tech Massacre.

Police Lt. Craig Graydon said: "When the Kennesaw law was passed in 1982 there was a substantial drop in crime … and we have maintained a really low crime rate since then. We are sure it is one of the lowest (crime) towns in the metro area." Kennesaw is just north of Atlanta.

The Reuters story went on to report: "Since the Virginia Tech shootings, some conservative U.S. talk show hosts have rejected attempts to link the massacre to the availability of guns, arguing that had students been allowed to carry weapons on campus someone might have been able to shoot the killer."

Virginia Tech, like many of the nation's schools and college campuses, is a so-called "gun-free zone," which Second Amendment supporters say invites gun violence – especially from disturbed individuals seeking to kill as many victims as possible.

Cho Seung-Hui murdered 32 and wounded another 15 before turning his gun on himself.
~Pink Snowman
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

chanilover wrote:Do you mean if you'd been there you would have shot back at him in a mall full of people?
Apparently you don't live in Kansas City...Ward Parkway mall being "full of people" would never happen!

On a serious note, no. This isn't the wild west and even in serious situations, there are rules and procedures in place to keep yourself and innocent bystanders as safe as possible even in dangerous situations. Knowing these procedures, following them, and most importantly practicing them can greatly reduce the chances of tragic loss of life.
The fundamental NRA rules for safe gun handling are:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.

When using or storing a gun, always follow these NRA rules:

Know your target and what is beyond.
Be absolutely sure you have identified your target beyond any doubt. Equally important, be aware of the area beyond your target. This means observing your prospective area of fire before you shoot. Never fire in a direction in which there are people or any other potential for mishap. Think first. Shoot second.

Know how to use the gun safely.
Before handling a gun, learn how it operates. Know its basic parts, how to safely open and close the action and remove any ammunition from the gun or magazine. Remember, a gun's mechanical safety device is never foolproof. Nothing can ever replace safe gun handling.
Sorry for hitting you with a wall of text, but the bold parts should be enough. If the mall is crowded and there is no way to eliminate the threat without possibly harming an innocent person, then your safest bet is to flee.* I would never undertake any action that might result in harm to an innocent civilian. I don't think I could live with myself if I accidentally killed someone by mistake. If your shot isn't clear, you don't shoot. Period. I would try my best to avoid a fight at all. I'm just saying that if I were cornered and didn't have a choice, I would do what I had to in order to make sure that I'd be the one walking out of the mall.

* Actually, studies have shown that finding a cover and/or a hiding spot is actually safer in an active shooter scenario than running away. By running, you make yourself visible, which makes you a target. I get the joy of designing and implementing active shooter plans for some of our accounts, and making sure that they are put in action by our people should the extremely unfortunate situation arise.

Source - http://www.nrahq.org/education/guide.asp
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Don't run, you'll only die tired.

:P

Some of us have been professionally trained to kill. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

chanilover wrote:^^^

Agreed, but guns make multiple murders much easier. I'd rather my chances in outrunning a maniac with a knife than a maniac with a gun. The 'take away the spoons' comment doesn't really carry much weight, for the same reason. All the gun does is give the person with the intent to commit murder a much more efficient way of taking out as many people as possible. It's all about containment, and giving up the right to gun ownership as a means of trying to reduce the murder rate is pretty low-down on the scale of fundamental human rights. Guns increase the murder rate, they don't decrease it, just as plying weak-willed people with overlarge portions of high-fat food turns them into fat slobs.
Dude, just walk away. Walk away. I've tried before, there is absolutely NO use in trying to convince him that a hand gun free country is safer (which it of course is). He's prepped with statistics that "prove" it (and yes, I know, we have just as many stats that prove the exact opposite, like your country and Japan as examples) - but it's a pointless arguement. He's already decided that his proof is better than our proof, as we've decided the opposite.