Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

Post by Freakzilla »

Eyes High wrote:
SandRider wrote:
chanilover wrote:
SandRider wrote:for another cookie, tell me how England ended up gun-free ....
We're not gun-free, the gun control laws are just a lot tighter in most of the UK than in the US. The right to bear arms used to be part of English common law, and it was pretty common for people in urban areas to carry guns right up to the beginning of the 20th century. Restrictions were imposed throughout the 20th century on the right to own guns, and now for the majority of people in the UK gun ownership is a non-issue. Gun-ownership is usually associated with hunting in the countryside.

Northern Ireland is a bit different from the rest of the UK. Gun-ownership is more common there, and it's the only part of the UK where self-defence is accepted as a valid reason for issuing a gun licence.
no cookie.

and you fail your citizenship test.

(not saying you're not partially correct, but there was a specific event ...)

The American Revolution :mrgreen:
Death to tyrants!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Laphtiya

Post by Laphtiya »

Bijaz wrote:
Laphtiya wrote:I saw this on the Kendo world forum. As a practitioner of Kendo, Iaido and Niten I float around on those sites and when I saw this I could completely understand why he did it.
I'm sure Iwami-sensei would only have needed a bokuto :wink:

HAHA so true!
Freakzilla wrote:How much does a non-blunted one cost?

Genuine Antique - $10000 AU: http://www.genuine-antique-swords.com/g ... katana.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New (as cheap as) - $100 US: http://www.swordsoftheeast.com/masahiro ... rd265.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I order mine from a site called Tozando and it cost me about £650 at the time. Everything is priced in Japanese Yen so it depends on your exchange rate, actual REAL swords from Tozando made by one of the 5 original sword smiths in Japan has no price, you simply sill out a request form and what you plan to use it as, so Iaito, Shinken or Tamashigiri (test cutting).
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

SandRider wrote:
chanilover wrote:
SandRider wrote:for another cookie, tell me how England ended up gun-free ....
We're not gun-free, the gun control laws are just a lot tighter in most of the UK than in the US. The right to bear arms used to be part of English common law, and it was pretty common for people in urban areas to carry guns right up to the beginning of the 20th century. Restrictions were imposed throughout the 20th century on the right to own guns, and now for the majority of people in the UK gun ownership is a non-issue. Gun-ownership is usually associated with hunting in the countryside.

Northern Ireland is a bit different from the rest of the UK. Gun-ownership is more common there, and it's the only part of the UK where self-defence is accepted as a valid reason for issuing a gun licence.
no cookie.

and you fail your citizenship test.
:lol: Oh God, the UK Citizenship tests! Typical half-baked Labour brainfart idea to try to cope with the fact that the left's experiment in multiculturalism has failed. I just tried the on-line version and scored 11 out of 14. I got the questions about the origin of Father Christmas and where he lives wrong. :oops: I loved the question about what you should do if you spill someone's pint in the pub. :lol:
(not saying you're not partially correct, but there was a specific event ...)
A specific event? No, I don’t buy into that idea, it’s not the way things have worked in the UK. Changes tend to happen gradually over a period of decades or even centuries, and the most recent major restriction in the types of guns people can own was in the 1990s after the Dunblane school massacre.

There have been a few specific events which resulted in restrictions on gun ownership, but I’m not sure which one you’ve picked out as being “the” specific event. Laws were passed to control ownership after the First World War, and I think from memory from some war or other in Victorian times (Crimean?), where ex-soldiers brought weapons back to the UK with them. Then there were the shootings of police in Ireland after the Easter Rising in Dublin, back in the day when all of Ireland was part of the UK, and the general social unrest of the 1920s caused Parliament to further restrict gun ownership.

Recently, there were a couple of massacres which resulted in further restrictions – Huntingdon in the 1980s and Dunblane in the 1990s.

As I said, gun ownership is a non-issue in the UK. No one really believes they’d be more independent of government if they had a gun. Governments tend not to oppress their populace with physical means these days, it’s easier to gradually erode people’s rights through legislation, and a gun isn’t going to stop any government from doing that.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.