Marijuana farming rebounds in economic hard times

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Marijuana farming rebounds in economic hard times

Post by Freakzilla »

Finally, some good news...
By ROGER ALFORD, Associated Press Writer Roger Alford, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 57 mins ago

BARBOURVILLE, Ky. – Machete-wielding police officers have hacked their way through billions of dollars worth of marijuana in the country's top pot-growing states to stave off a bumper crop sprouting in the tough economy.

The number of plants seized has jumped this year in California, the nation's top marijuana-growing state, while seizures continue to rise in Washington after nearly doubling the previous year. Growers in a three-state region of central Appalachia also appear to have reversed a decline in pot cultivation over the last two years.

Officers in those areas, the nation's biggest hotbeds for marijuana production, have chopped down plants with a combined street value of around $12 billion in the first eight months of this year. While national numbers aren't yet available this year, officers around the country increased their haul from 7 million plants in 2007 to 8 million in 2008.

"A lot of that, we theorize, is the economy," said Ed Shemelya, head of marijuana eradication for the Office of Drug Control Policy's Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. "Places in east Tennessee, eastern Kentucky and West Virginia are probably feeling the recession a lot more severely than the rest of the country and have probably been in that condition a lot longer than the rest of the country."

Growers in Appalachia are often hard-luck entrepreneurs supplementing their income by growing marijuana, authorities say. Troopers thrashing through the thick mountain brush there typically find plots that could easily be tended by a single grower, while officers in the two western states have focused on larger fields run by Mexican cartels with immigrant labor.

The demand for domestically grown marijuana is at a record high, in part because stricter border control has made it more difficult to import pot from Mexico, said Dave Keller, deputy director of the Appalachian High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area. Keller said growers large and small across the country are trying to fill the void.

The ailing economy isn't stopping users from spending money on pot. In fact, Shemelya said the demand appears to be rising with the unemployment rate.

"I've never seen any decline in demand for marijuana in bad economic times," he said. "If anything, it's the opposite. People always seem to find money somewhere to buy drugs."

The number of plants destroyed in California has increased over the last three years, said the assistant chief of the California Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, Kent Shaw. The total increased from 4.9 million plants in 2007 to 5.3 million in 2008. Already this year, Shaw said, California authorities have exceeded last year's total.

To the north, authorities in Washington have seen the numbers jump from 295,000 plants seized in 2007 to 580,000 in 2008. Lt. Rich Wiley, commander of the Washington State Patrol's narcotics unit, said his officers have confiscated 540,000 so far this year and that he expects to meet or exceed last year's numbers.

In the heart of Appalachia, ground forces have cut more than 600,000 marijuana plants this summer in Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia, and they should end the year with a significantly higher total, Shemelya said. The plants' street value of about $2,000 each creates an often irresistible draw in communities where long-standing poverty has been fed over the years by the shuttering of factories and coal mines.

In Appalachia and the two western states, authorities said the amount of resources put into eradication efforts has been constant over the past several years.

Judge Kelsey Friend, whose jurisdiction includes some of the most isolated mountain communities in Kentucky, said he believes a huge chunk of the Appalachian marijuana is grown by people so hard-pressed that they're willing to risk freedom to improve their standard of living. The ill-gotten gains, Friend said, show up in the form of new pickup trucks, boats and even homes.

However, only an estimated 20 to 40 percent of the growers in the region manage to harvest and collect their payoff without being detected by modern day G-men assisted by spotters in helicopters.

Last month, Trooper Mac McDonald descended a mountainside near Barbourville with a load of freshly cut marijuana bundled on his shoulder, sweat dripping from his brow. McDonald and his co-workers had trudged up mountains as steep as they were remote to search dense Chinese silvergrass and expansive patches of thorny blackberry briars to find the typically small, scattered plots.

A crackdown begun six years ago had convinced many growers to give up, rather than contend with the helicopters constantly crisscrossing the region in the summer months, authorities said. But the number of growers appears to have picked up since the economy turned sour.

The amount of marijuana confiscated in Kentucky, Tennessee and West Virginia fell from more than 1.2 million plants in 2003 to just more than 700,000 in 2007. But in 2008, with the economy faltering, narcotics officers witnessed another marijuana boom in the mountains, and they again confiscated more than 1 million plants in the three states.

"The economy or lack of economy has always driven the marijuana trade," Shemelya said. "It still is the cash cow as far as illicit drugs. It offers the greatest return on investment."
If we legalized pot, maybe it could cover Obama's spending. :wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Dune Nerd

Re: Marijuana farming rebounds in economic hard times

Post by Dune Nerd »

Estimates I heard on income from pot were only in the 10's of billions, no where near enough :wink:
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Dune Nerd wrote:Estimates I heard on income from pot were only in the 10's of billions, no where near enough :wink:
It could be a good faith payment on the interest. :shock:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

Cool. They'd tax the shit out of it of course :(.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sandwurm88 wrote:Cool. They'd tax the shit out of it of course :(.
It'd still be cheaper than buying it now from a dealer. The whole idea only works if they undercut the dealers prices.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
Sandwurm88 wrote:Cool. They'd tax the shit out of it of course :(.
It'd still be cheaper than buying it now from a dealer. The whole idea only works if they undercut the dealers prices.
Yeah, otherwise we'd be dealing with a whole new set of bootlegging penalties. Although that's really only a concern if you're growing and/or selling.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
A Thing of Eternity

If we legalized pot and prostitution right now we could fix up so much of the mess that is our society, get rid of so much crime and violence and take in so much tax revinue we might actually be able to fund some decent social improvement projects. But noooo, we'd be sending the wrong message to the kids by making those things legal (or whatever the current rightwing excuse for this idiocy is). Fools.

One more reason to keep religion and conservatives out of power. Progress is impossible under their stoneaged mentality and lack of common sense.

At least they haven't shut down the safe injection site in Vancouver yet like they've been threatening to(probably in part thanks to Bush no longer being president and trying to interfere with our affairs), which appears to be working exactly as planned and doing a lot of good. Maybe, just maybe, the conservatives can learn something and let this project continue.

(sorry, I'm in a hate the government mood at the moment)
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Testify, brotha'
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

When they confiscate pot how do they get rid of it? By burning? :P
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:If we legalized pot and prostitution right now we could fix up so much of the mess that is our society, get rid of so much crime and violence and take in so much tax revenue we might actually be able to fund some decent social improvement projects.
Prostitution IS legal in some cities/states, and so far as I know there were no repercussions. A lot of your Christian right-wing God-first peeps will try to tell you that legalizing it leads to other crime, but as far as I know it didn't increase in, say, Nevada.

That being said, I'm not sure illegal prostitution went down (you know, statistically...ahem), either. Those numbers would be interesting to see...I'm sure I could find them if I had some more time.

As for marijuana, I've never tried it (only hung out with nerds in high school, you understand) so I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Being a virgin in that sense, I really can't say if I would be for or against it.

I smoke and I drink (and also shoot guns from time to time, in case the ATF is interested) and those are stimulants of a certain variety. They're legal and regulated, though they carry certain inherent health risks, as marijuana does. Still, the government found a reasonably effective way to limit access to those materials with taxes, age-restrictions, and the like.

I suppose marijuana would be the same...as long as there were regulations on its sale and certain rules governing its use (no driving under the influence, etc) then I guess it could be a viable source of income for Big Brother. Not only income, but they could actually save revenue by reducing the amount of cases that have to be seen in court.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

SadisticCynic wrote:When they confiscate pot how do they get rid of it? By burning? :P
Yep, it's burnt. In a very careful way, mind you...respirators, gloves and the like. I suppose someone downwind could get jacked up...just a matter of being in the right place at the right time, I guess!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I just had visions of it being dumped in a field and set to light in a stiff breeze. :lol:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Marijuana is ILLEGAL under FEDERAL law, even though states like California and Alaska may not enforce it strictly. THe Feds can still bust you.

The government wouldn't have to undercut illegal dealers because no one would take the risk of buying it illegally if they could get it at the corner drug store. The black market dealers would have to undercut the government and it would cease to be profitable.

Hemp is the largest biomass producing crop.

If someone gave you seeds and told you if you planted it you could make paper, cloth, oil, fuel, medicine, etc... out of the crop, what would you say?

Besides "Fuck You" to the big pharmeceutical and petrochemical companies, of course.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

That picture was taken just across the road from where I work - they busted it a few months back.... if only we'd known :(
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I saw a documentary that said the stuff they're growing in the UK is super-mega-ultra-potent compared to the rest of the world's crop.

:banana-stoner:
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"Weed?
No, it's not normal weed. It's fucked-up skunk, Class A, I-can't-think-let-alone-move shit.
Doesn't sound very good to me.
Neither me - depends what flicks your switch. The light is on and burning brightly for the masses.
"

:)

I wonder why destruction of pot plants has never been considered an environmental issue. I suppose detachment from such an issue is likely politically motivated. Green candidates probably don't want any negative association with pot when it comes to the voters, but here it seems like most voters are in favor of legalization now anyway. I guess this is just one more reason why the "war on drugs" is a sham.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I've never understood how they could make a plant that grows wild in all fifty states illegal. :crazy:
~Pink Snowman
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Freakzilla wrote:I've never understood how they could make a plant that grows wild in all fifty states illegal. :crazy:
Bureaucracy is a strange beast, and it all comes from the wording of the law. The plant itself is a natural thing, but possessing it, cultivating it, or harvesting it is illegal. You can usually tell which plants are wild and which ones are clearly being taken care of.

I do sort of wonder what would happen if a police officer was driving past a farm and noticed a wild plant growing in a farmer's field, then stopped to ask him about it. Assuming the farmer had no idea it was there in the first place, I guess they'd just confiscate it. The officer wouldn't need a warrant because the plant was in plain view, and as such they wouldn't need the farmer's permission to take it.

But would they press charges? The law varies wildly from state to state, and even from city to city.
A Thing of Eternity

smugetsu wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:If we legalized pot and prostitution right now we could fix up so much of the mess that is our society, get rid of so much crime and violence and take in so much tax revenue we might actually be able to fund some decent social improvement projects.
That being said, I'm not sure illegal prostitution went down (you know, statistically...ahem), either. Those numbers would be interesting to see...I'm sure I could find them if I had some more time.
I think illigal prostitution would likely be shrunk to only child prostitution. If our police could concentrate all their anti prostitution efforts on only child prostitution they would be much more effective at that, and I think that that concept alone makes anyone anti-legalization of prostitution a little bit shaky in the brain function department.
Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

I have many friends who are like connosieurs (sp?). They know about all the different kinds and shit. :? Any experts here?
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Freakzilla wrote:I saw a documentary that said the stuff they're growing in the UK is super-mega-ultra-potent compared to the rest of the world's crop.

:banana-stoner:
Apparently ~80% of the UK supply is home-grown - so now we're not leaving it up to johnny foreigner... of course it's the best in the world. :wink:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

DuneFishUK wrote:... 80% of the UK supply is home-grown ...
"We grow copious amounts of ganga ... "

"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

It's all homegrown, just depends on where you live. :wink:
~Pink Snowman
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

TheDukester wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:... 80% of the UK supply is home-grown ...
"We grow copious amounts of ganga ... "

"We don't look like your average horti-fucking-culturalists."
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

"Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels"...

I haven't seen that movie in forever... I loved that movie, too.
Long Live the Fighters.