inhuien

Re: The South Will Rise Again ....

Post by inhuien »

Fare thee well. :)
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

May your cot be firm and your fire warm. Have fun Papa Bear!
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

SandRider wrote: I am only posting this because either last year or the year before
when I did the big-ass Fall Campaign, y'all thought I'd died ....

no such fucking luck ....
Well... chances are you'll "die" several times over the course of the campaigns.
:tissue2:
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

heading down to san marcos in about an hour; shoulda left yesterday, my route's taking me
thru fredericksberg ... I'll hit luckenbach about 10am, which is certainly close enough to noon
to stop and drink .... so I won't make up over the hill til sometime late tonight, be stinking,
shitfaced drunk, and will wake up friday morning on top of all my cargo I just dumped out
and didn't set up and there will be hundreds and hundreds of heathern publik skool chilluns
running around and screaming and I'll sic the heelers on'em and then police will be called,
and I'll try to rally the confederate artillery into a 'come & take it' stand-off, but them shitheels
is all pussies, so I'll spend the weekend in jail and have a talk w/the judge monday morning,
which will put me back on the road and hitting luckenbach about 10am, which is certainly close
enough to noon to stop and drink ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Stuff the camp and stay in town, they seem welcoming enough!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandRider wrote:heading down to san marcos in about an hour; shoulda left yesterday, my route's taking me
thru fredericksberg ... I'll hit luckenbach about 10am, which is certainly close enough to noon
to stop and drink .... so I won't make up over the hill til sometime late tonight, be stinking,
shitfaced drunk, and will wake up friday morning on top of all my cargo I just dumped out
and didn't set up and there will be hundreds and hundreds of heathern publik skool chilluns
running around and screaming and I'll sic the heelers on'em and then police will be called,
and I'll try to rally the confederate artillery into a 'come & take it' stand-off, but them shitheels
is all pussies, so I'll spend the weekend in jail and have a talk w/the judge monday morning,
which will put me back on the road and hitting luckenbach about 10am, which is certainly close
enough to noon to stop and drink ....
surprisingly, this is very close to what actually happened ...
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

wanted to share this with y'all .... a little preface:
Taylor Tomlin is either 19 or 20, I think he will be 20 this year if not already;
he is an extremely good-looking kid, about two years ago he started getting
all kinds of film-consulting jobs for all the movies they are filming in Texas,
for historical-accuracy things and stunt-riding horses & such, and he grew
his hair out (straight & coal-black) and a little beard-mustache thing that
all of a sudden made him look like Captain Jack Sparrow (who apparently is
THE sex-symbol for women 16-32) .... he is a very serious kid, almost entirely
self-educated on Texas history, and was one of the lead-people on the
state-wide 175th anniversary of the Texas Revolution this year ....

he rarely talks, esp. among mere acquaintances or the "public",
and when he does, it is in one of those soft, low voices you have to strain
somewhat to hear ... but what he always says makes you pay attention ...
I've heard more wisdom fall out of that boy's mouth in a handful of words
than I could produce in a dozen tl;dr's .... if it sounds like I got the "proud-
papaw" thing, or even a man-crush on Taylor, it's true ... ever'now & then,
a young person will come along that gives me hope for the Future, and also
wonder "where the FUCK did this kid come from ? cause, y'know, I know
his daddy-n-them, and they's idiots like the rest of us ..."

anyway, this little quote has been just exploding around the facebooks of the
couple of hundred History Living folk; it seems to've hit a central nerve in all
of us with it's hard-core truth :
Taylor Tomlin wrote: "Re-enactors are an interesting subculture. Besides all of the obvious characteristics
it is the the only group in which loners associate in mass and in the public eye."
~ Taylor Tomlin
also, grammartarians (grammarians ?): I'm wondering if the quote would be made better
and "more correct" if "associate in mass" was replaced with "associate en masse" ?
something is telling me that that is the proper phrase for what Taylor is expressing here,
altho he (and I) might think that's just a little too highfalutin language ....
ImageImage

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

You are correct.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Imma be gone about a week or so ... y'all don't scare off Jimmy again, y'hear ?
ImageImage

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We'll try not to. :angelic-halo:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandRider wrote:Imma be gone about a week or so ... y'all don't scare off Jimmy again, y'hear ?
Have fun!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

@the SandChigger:

whenever you get some time, I'd like to look over this kid's website,
in particular the "Southern Language" page:

http://southernnationalist.com/blog/southern-language/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this video on the "Reflexive Datives" :
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFx2Onb5 ... r_embedded[/youtube]

is Mike correct on the things he is saying here ?
(and on the page in general, and any of the other videos you might care to watch ...)

and I mean from a linguistic perspective, of course ... is his terminology
right and is he applying the terms and ideas correctly ? I'm looking for any kind
of technical criticism I could pass on to him to either confirm his efforts or
offer corrections .... Mike's a brilliant and almost level-headed kid, the other content
on this site and his youtube videos are sometimes right-on-the-edge of batshit insanity,
but for the most part, even tho he's often talking of theory and totally improbable
and impossible scenarios, he is almost always on very solid legal and philosophical
ground ... and he realizes this, too ...

he's been a minor bit-player in the League of the South Drama over the past few years
(that's where I first ran across him) where he voiced support in theory for the
League's goals, and also provided them with a bunch of much-needed actual legal
opinion .... and also ran afoul of the core leadership by pointing out the holes in their
philosophy and proposals ...

early on in his young life, Mike came to the same conclusions I did (albeit much later) -
that the secessions of 1861 were legal and (1789) constitutional, that the actions of the
Federal Government from 1861 thru 1865 (and beyond) were (1789) unconstitutional,
that both Southern & Northern politicians concocted some outlandishly illegal horseshit
during Reconstruction, that post-Reconstruction thru Desegregation Southern politicians
concocted some even-more outlandishly illegal horseshit (which the Federals responded
to with a whole pile of (1789) unconstitutional horseshit) .... that the Yankee dominated
Federal Government and "media" purposefully embarked on an on-going agenda to mock,
marginalize and ultimately destroy the unique "Southern Culture" ... and so on, but the
main point of similarity between Mike and myself was the realization and acceptance of
all of the above as "true", coupled with the "and so what?" attitude ....

he never acts like he's "discovered" some huge "hidden conspiracy" (fuck, it's not hidden,
at all; he doesn't get "enraged" and hysterical, just says "here is what happened,
is happening" &etc.

and ultimately is on my side of the "debate" - fuck what the Federal Government does
or makes other people think ... until they decide to round us all up and execute us in
concentration camps, we (as hardcore "Southerners") will continue to live as we have ...

in example, I have no "issue" whatsoever with any government level, Federal, Union
State, Union State County, city or local, making any "law" they want about the display of
"Confederate" flags on public property (meaning government property) ... I'll not
get riled-up if some little piss-ass town like, say, Palestine, Texas, has a huge televised
"controversy" over raising the First National Confederate Flag over the Anderson County
Courthouse on Decoration Day ... I can neither support nor oppose either side of the
"controversy", the Progressive Whites and Pissed-off Blacks, or the Conservative Rednecks, and Sons of Confederate Veterans
because I truly donot give a fuck what flag the government flies over its
own fucking buildings .... period.

anyway -
sidebar aside, I'm just wanting the SandChigger's professional opinion on Mike's
amateur linguistical musings, because above all else, I want the information on
Mike's website to be correct first, and so does he ...
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:lol:

He's fun. :D

And spot on in what he's saying in the video you linked to here. (I'll look at some of the others later, but he doesn't impress me as someone who could get one right but screw up the rest.)

Looked at the vocabulary stuff on the other site; we actually use all those where I grew up except "coke" (we'd probably say pop or soda for the generic) and "cut on/off" (the lights); I've heard people use the "that dog don't hunt" one, and "dinner" was lunch only on Sunday.

And of course I say "you'ns" instead of "y'all". ;)

We don't use the double/triple modals, but I've heard my friend from Texas use them. It's weird. :lol:

For the pronunciation, we also pronounce "pin" and "pen" the same (like the former), so we say "ink pen" and "stick pin" when we need to distinguish them. (In the sentence [sin tense? send tins?] "Vince cleans vents", the first and last words are pronounced the same.)

For me, "caught" and "cot" are not pronounced the same. (The vowels in "cot caught" are the same as in "hot dog". :P )

Anyway, I'm babbling....
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I must admit I had previously thought the reflexive datives to be an ignorant affectation myself, not that we get many southern dandies in Glasgow. :lol:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

guessin' I might needs to remind you that the vast, vast majority of Southern Folk are pure Ulster-Scot .... ?
ImageImage

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Ma dear fellow, you need do no such thing.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

We should all skype (or something) someday, so we can hear all the accents.

I spoke to Eyes and her hubby a couple times, they sound just like one of my uncles from SC. You know, back when we had the fanfic contest, I picked Eyes' submission out right away, based on her use of "might would". I don't hear too many people say that anymore, but it is definitely a Southern thing.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:We should all skype (or something) someday, so we can hear all the accents.

I spoke to Eyes and her hubby a couple times, they sound just like one of my uncles from SC. You know, back when we had the fanfic contest, I picked Eyes' submission out right away, based on her use of "might would". I don't hear too many people say that anymore, but it is definitely a Southern thing.
My brother called Mandy once, and I just had to jump on for a moment to hear if she was a true southern gal. She was.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I giggled so much, I'm not sure how you could tell :)
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Mandy wrote:I giggled so much, I'm not sure how you could tell :)
Cuz it was southrn gigglin'.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:For me, "caught" and "cot" are not pronounced the same. (The vowels in "cot caught" are the same as in "hot dog". :P)
I had to smile at this. For me, the first sentence holds, but the second doesn't. I pronounce the vowels in the word "hot dog" the same, but the vowels in "cot caught" differently :)

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Mandy wrote:We should all skype (or something) someday, so we can hear all the accents.

Would love to talk to you again.

Isn't it funny how we can use a regional dialect, even in our writing, and not even notice it.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I might would do that :)

(srsly, I should call you sometime)
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Spiff might surprise you and give you a ring.

I lost my voice Sunday and haven't been able to talk to anyone (other than in a wisper) for three days now. :crying-yellow:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

..Alabama still collecting tax for Confederate vets

By JAY REEVES - Associated Press | AP – 5 hrs ago..

MOUNTAIN CREEK, Ala. (AP) — The last of the more than 60,000 Confederate veterans who came home to Alabama after the Civil War died generations ago, yet residents are still paying a tax that supported the neediest among them.

Despite fire-and-brimstone opposition to taxes among many in a state that still has "Heart of Dixie" on its license plates, officials never stopped collecting a property tax that once funded the Alabama Confederate Soldiers' Home, which closed 72 years ago. The tax now pays for Confederate Memorial Park, which sits on the same 102-acre tract where elderly veterans used to stroll.

The tax once brought in millions for Confederate pensions, but lawmakers sliced up the levy and sent money elsewhere as the men and their wives died. No one has seriously challenged the continued use of the money for a memorial to the "Lost Cause," in part because few realize it exists; one long-serving black legislator who thought the tax had been done away with said he wants to eliminate state funding for the park.

These days, 150 years after the Civil War started, officials say the old tax typically brings in more than $400,000 annually for the park, where Confederate flags flapped on a recent steamy afternoon. That's not much compared to Alabama's total operating budget of $1.8 billion, but it's sufficient to give the park plenty of money to operate and even enough for investments, all at a time when other historic sites are struggling just to keep the grass cut for lack of state funding.

"It's a beautifully maintained park. It's one of the best because of the funding source," said Clara Nobles of the Alabama Historical Commission, which oversees Confederate Memorial Park.

Longtime park director Bill Rambo is more succinct.

"Everyone is jealous of us," he said.

Tax experts say they know of no other state that still collects a tax so directly connected to the Civil War, although some federal excise taxes on tobacco and alcohol first were enacted during the war to help fund the Union.

"Broadly speaking, almost all taxes have their start in a war of some sort," said Joseph J. Thorndike, director of a tax history project at Tax Analysts, a nonprofit organization that studies taxation.

Alabama's tax structure was enshrined in its 1901 Constitution, passed after Reconstruction at a time when historians say state legislators' main goal was to keep power in the hands of wealthy white landowners by disenfranchising blacks and poor whites.

The Constitution allowed a state property tax of up to 6.5 mills, which now amounts to $39 annually on a home worth $100,000. Of that tax, 3 mills went to schools; 2.5 mills went to the operating budget; and 1 mill went to pensions for Confederate veterans and widows.

The state used the pension tax to fund the veterans home once it assumed control of the operation in 1903. The last Confederate veteran living at the home died in 1934, and its hospital was converted into apartments for widows. It closed in 1939, and the five women who lived there were moved to Montgomery.

Legislators whittled away at the Confederate tax through the decades, and millions of dollars that once went to the home and pensions now go to fund veteran services, the state welfare agency and other needs. But the park still gets 1 percent of one mill, and its budget for this year came to $542,469, which includes money carried over from previous years plus certificates of deposit.

All that money has created a manicured, modern park that's the envy of other Alabama historic sites, which are funded primarily by grants, donations and friends groups. Legislators created the park in 1964 during a period that marked both the 100th anniversary of the Civil War and the height of the civil rights movement in the Deep South.

Nothing is left of the veterans home but a few foundations and two cemeteries with 313 graves, but a museum with Civil War artifacts and modern displays opened at the park in 2007. Rebel flags fly all around the historic site, which Rambo said draws more than 10,000 visitors annually despite being hidden in the country nine miles and three turns off Interstate 65 in the central part of the state.

While the park flourishes quietly, other historic attractions around the state are fighting for survival.

Workers at Helen Keller's privately run home in northwest Alabama fear losing letters written by the famed activist because of a lack of state funding for preservation of artifacts. On the Gulf Coast at Dauphin Island, preservationists say the state-owned Fort Gaines is in danger of being undermined by waves after nearly 160 years standing guard at the entry to Mobile Bay.

The old Confederate pension tax that funds the park has never been seriously threatened, Rambo said. Backers were upset this year when Gov. Robert Bentley's budget plan eliminated state funding for historic sites because of tight revenues, he said, but the park's earmarked funding survived.

"Once I informed the public what was going on the support just rose up," said Rambo, the director since 1989. Two heritage groups, the Sons of Confederate Veterans and United Daughters of the Confederacy, led the charge, but ordinary citizens complained too, he said.

"Some were people who don't belong to those organizations who really like the park and come out here for picnics and all and were really upset," he said.

State Rep. Alvin Holmes, a black Democrat who's been in the Legislature since 1974, said he thought funding for the park had been slashed.

"We should not be spending one nickel for that," said Holmes, of Montgomery. "I'm going to try to get rid of it."

Holmes may have a hard time gaining support with Republicans in control of Legislature and the governor's office.

In the meantime, a contractor recently measured the museum for a new paint job, and plans calls for using invested money to construct replicas of some of the 22 buildings that stood on the site when it was home to hundreds of Confederate veterans and their wives.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman