I wanna build a space probe

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

othaderak

I wanna build a space probe

Post by othaderak »

Really. You know, like the Voyager probe. I figure I could do it for a couple hundred bucks using only a satellite dish, common components and a bored electrical engineer.

Any suggestions on where to start?
lotek

Re: I wanna build a space probe

Post by lotek »

build a rocket first no?
:)

edit: you expose yourself to plenty of stupid jokes with your use of the word "probe" let me tell you that :mrgreen:
Last edited by lotek on 27 Aug 2009 04:16, edited 1 time in total.
Spice is the worm's gonads.
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

Make sure that the CIA doesn't try to track you down for terrorism.

Oh, who am I kidding? What are they going to do? They have enough dealing with Congress right now for... uh... wanting to kill terrorists. And that makes Pelosi mad, because they mad princess look bad. And she says they were liars. So...
:text-threadjacked:
... Sorry.

Seriously, get a basic engineering idea down on paper, as far as what you want it to do. Figure out how to ensure geo-synchronous orbit, and read up on propulsion methods for small rockets.

Or, stick it on a kite and fly it up really, really high, then call the U.S. Government, and tell them your aircraft needs to be registered with the FAA as a delivery system.
Long Live the Fighters.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I think you should check the environmental operating ranges of the circuits you intend to use. Those things don't cost millions for no reason (besides government waste).

What's going to happen when a piece of dust hits it at 25,000 mps?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I would think the delivery system would be your biggest stumbling block. The parts and materials would be difficult to come by, especially the fuel/engines to reach the altitude you'd need to deliver your probe into space. I think the government would kinda frown on a civilian (I assume you're a civilian) purchasing the materials to build a rocket...since a lot of the same parts could be used to construct a missile.

Having a probe that could transmit a signal strong enough to be received by us here on Earth would cost a fortune, not to mention the equipment necessary to receive the transmissions.

Can I ask a question, though? What type of thing is your probe going to be looking for? Is it going to orbit the Earth or do we need to figure out how to give this thing escape velocity so we can throw it past Saturn?
Slugger

Post by Slugger »

Watch "The Astronaut Farmer."

I'd have to agree that you're biggest hurtle would be delivering it into a stable orbit.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

It costs something like $10,000US to put a single kilo into orbit, last I checked.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

If you build it upside-down you can just drop it into the sky.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ludichrist speed!
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

I'll let someone else, namely an aerospace engineer, figure out how to get it into orbit. Given that I haven't picked a degree yet and still have time to do so, that aerospace engineer could be me.

Here's what I've got so far on how to build a Voyager series probe:
1 parabolic satellite dish, approx. 2-4 m in diameter (pref. C-band)
2-3 (?) printed circuit boards
1 400+ w portable generator
or
3 12 volt car batteries (two for aux. power)
1 soldering gun
1 PC-grade microprocessor
Several GB of solid-state memory
radio broadcaster/receiver array

Steps

1.) Assemble CPU
2.) Attach sattelite dish
3.) Connect power source(s)
4.) Program simple commands into CPU, i.e. radio-frequency ping/response
5.) Ping/response test

Objectives

1.) Acquire and respond to radio signals
2.) Build something cool
That doesn't count the materials I'd need for the equipment housing and insulation, but I think that gives you the general idea.

And yes, I know there are jokes and implications with the word "probe", but I've used them all myself and am therefore immune :P
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

smugetsu wrote:Having a probe that could transmit a signal strong enough to be received by us here on Earth would cost a fortune, not to mention the equipment necessary to receive the transmissions.
If this thing ever gets into orbit, that would be a miracle in and of itself. Assuming it did, its orbit would likely be a pretty close one, maybe a couple hundred miles up, where its signals could be sent to the ground and received with a radio telescope. Basically, you'd be able to pick up its signals with a standard satellite dish.
smugetsu wrote:Can I ask a question, though? What type of thing is your probe going to be looking for? Is it going to orbit the Earth or do we need to figure out how to give this thing escape velocity so we can throw it past Saturn?
My main objective is to build something cool. If I could attach a camera and takes pictures of stuff from orbit or something, that'd just be a plus.

Edit: fixed quote tags
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

othaderak wrote:
smugetsu wrote:Having a probe that could transmit a signal strong enough to be received by us here on Earth would cost a fortune, not to mention the equipment necessary to receive the transmissions.
If this thing ever gets into orbit, that would be a miracle in and of itself. Assuming it did, its orbit would likely be a pretty close one, maybe a couple hundred miles up, where its signals could be sent to the ground and received with a radio telescope. Basically, you'd be able to pick up its signals with a standard satellite dish.
smugetsu wrote:Can I ask a question, though? What type of thing is your probe going to be looking for? Is it going to orbit the Earth or do we need to figure out how to give this thing escape velocity so we can throw it past Saturn?
My main objective is to build something cool. If I could attach a camera and takes pictures of stuff from orbit or something, that'd just be a plus.

Edit: fixed quote tags

I vote that we program it for a lunar flyby to get proof of the moon landing, and after word it can float out of the solar system with copies of the FH Dune books, taking the OH message to the rest of the universe. Maybe we can aim it at something Dune apropos.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

:lol:

When I read the OP I assumed a delivery vehicle.

And if the government frowned on purchasing rocket parts no one would have claimed th X-prize.
~Pink Snowman
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

Apjak wrote:I vote that we program it for a lunar flyby to get proof of the moon landing, and after word it can float out of the solar system with copies of the FH Dune books, taking the OH message to the rest of the universe. Maybe we can aim it at something Dune apropos.
I thought about putting an MP3 player on it, kinda like the Pioneer golden disk. Maybe I'll just load it up with Dune audiobooks instead of Earth's musical heritage :P
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

othaderak wrote:
Apjak wrote:I vote that we program it for a lunar flyby to get proof of the moon landing, and after word it can float out of the solar system with copies of the FH Dune books, taking the OH message to the rest of the universe. Maybe we can aim it at something Dune apropos.
I thought about putting an MP3 player on it, kinda like the Pioneer golden disk. Maybe I'll just load it up with Dune audiobooks instead of Earth's musical heritage :P
Just don't put KJA on it, aliens will quaranteen us and we'll never reach the starts.

"These people are morons!"
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

for inspiration:

book....Dean Ing...."The Big Lifters".

Old TV show....."Salvage One"
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

You could try putting KJA *in* it, but then you'll *never* get the thing into orbit.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

Hunchback Jack wrote:You could try putting KJA *in* it, but then you'll *never* get the thing into orbit.

HBJ
Maybe we can just launch the Jacket into the Sun...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

othaderak wrote:"probe" ... I've used them all myself

To bravely go.... :shock:

But there's the brave lad, admitting it in public! The exploration of outer space should always follow that of inner. :lol:
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

othaderak wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:You could try putting KJA *in* it, but then you'll *never* get the thing into orbit.

HBJ
Maybe we can just launch the Jacket into the Sun...
What is the Jacket everyone refers to? Is it the brown blazer?
Long Live the Fighters.
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

SandChigger wrote:

But there's the brave lad, admitting it in public! The exploration of outer space should always follow that of inner. :lol:

Mid-quote ellipses: cruise control for quotational hilarity :P

And yes, that blazer is the Jacket. May it die a fiery death in the belly of the Sun!
E. LeGuille

Post by E. LeGuille »

I don't get it. Someone point it out to me? I'm a preek, I don't want to think.
Long Live the Fighters.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That's GOOD. Sarcasm will set you free. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
lotek

Post by lotek »

Talking of sarcasm, I'm amazed that no one has yet made even a subtle hint to another kind of famous space probe...
SandChigger wrote:

As for The Jacket well apparently he has only one so Capital Letters Baby!!
Spice is the worm's gonads.
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

lotek wrote:Talking of sarcasm, I'm amazed that no one has yet made even a subtle hint to another kind of famous space probe...
You mean V'Ger, right? :D