Cassette Tape Transfer to Computer.

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

inhuien

Cassette Tape Transfer to Computer.

Post by inhuien »

Is anyone able to offer some advice on the transfer of old demo tapes to my PC, I've read guide on the hows and where-with-alls and it seems straight forward. The only thing is these tapes are all around 15 years old is there anything that I should do before the transfer, I reckon a FF and RW to ensure equal tape tension isn't a bad idea but what about temperature treatment, should I let them sit at room temp of what.

Thanks for reading.
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Cassette Tape Transfer to Computer.

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

No clue, I'm sorry though, I should know stuff like this but I never work with tape (damn my generation!) so I can't tell you much. I could give you some advice on cleaning the audio up afterwards though, depending on what software you're using to record it.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I have a Frank Herbert interview that I would like to make available to all, so if anyone has a clue how to do this, please let me know too.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^ I was just going to use http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Cassett ... o-Computer guide and DL audacity cause it's free. AToE can you suggest another program that may be better:) And thanks for your offer of assistance.
A Thing of Eternity

inhuien wrote:^^^ I was just going to use http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Cassett ... o-Computer guide and DL audacity cause it's free. AToE can you suggest another program that may be better:) And thanks for your offer of assistance.
All the programs I would suggest are actual recording programs like Cubase, and will require a good audio interface.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:^^^ I was just going to use http://www.wikihow.com/Transfer-Cassett ... o-Computer guide and DL audacity cause it's free. AToE can you suggest another program that may be better:) And thanks for your offer of assistance.
Nothing wrong with Audacity. I've know people to use it for recording fire alarm voice messages. I think it even came with some panel software.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Thanks for that freak, unfortunatly I couldn't justify purchasing Cubase just for this one off use. I have however just got my sticky paws on a rather nice Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme soundcard. :)
A Thing of Eternity

inhuien wrote:Thanks for that freak, unfortunatly I couldn't justify purchasing Cubase just for this one off use. I have however just got my sticky paws on a rather nice Sound Blaster X-fi Extreme soundcard. :)
Oh, I don't blame you at all, even the cheap version of Cubase is over a hundred bucks, and you simply don't need it at all, it'd be overkill. Anything that will record is fine, it's all 1s and 0s anyways, so the software has no effect on tone unless something goes wrong or it converts it to a shitty format.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Thats good to know, and at least my tapedeck has a play back head that let me tweak the azimuth.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

inhuien wrote:tweak the azimuth
:shock:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:Thats good to know, and at least my tapedeck has a play back head that let me tweak the azimuth.
Isn't that what killed Robert Downey, Jr. in Less Than Zero? :D

Goodnight Golden Path!
semuta

Post by semuta »

i do this all the time from a mac. if you copy me the tape and post it to a safehouse where i can collect it I will do you a copy & upload it to the net although it might take a while for me to get around to it, i already have a backlog.
sorry I dont have any advice to offer regarding pc, I have an aversion to microsoft.
That's how I wrote the novel, wanting you to participate with the best of your own imagination. I did not aim for the lowest common denominator and 'write down" to anyone. You and I have a compact and my responsibility is to entertain you as richly as possible, always giving you as much extra as I can. I assume you are intelligent and will enlist your own imagination. You'll see that when you read the Dune excerpt and the other stories in this collection.
FH, Intro to Eye
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

semuta wrote:if you copy me the tape and post it to a safehouse where i can collect it...
:laughing-rolling:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

SandChigger wrote:
semuta wrote:if you copy me the tape and post it to a safehouse where i can collect it...
Is that anything like "general delivery?"

Goodnight Golden Path!
semuta

Post by semuta »

Omphalos wrote:
SandChigger wrote:
Is that anything like "general delivery?"
nah its cos theres no way in hell i am going to put a trace on my actual wherabouts into the internet
That's how I wrote the novel, wanting you to participate with the best of your own imagination. I did not aim for the lowest common denominator and 'write down" to anyone. You and I have a compact and my responsibility is to entertain you as richly as possible, always giving you as much extra as I can. I assume you are intelligent and will enlist your own imagination. You'll see that when you read the Dune excerpt and the other stories in this collection.
FH, Intro to Eye
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

semuta wrote:nah its cos theres no way in hell i am going to put a trace on my actual wherabouts into the internet
Like anyone cares. :laughing:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

doesn't the FBI & MI6 & the Men in Black already know where he lives ? :roll:
{certainly the local mental health authorities have a bead on him}
{I hope}

and why can't you plug a cord w/ RCA jacks into a cassette player,
the RCA plugs into a mini-jack adaptor, and plug that into the mic input
on a PC ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

SandRider wrote:and why can't you plug a cord w/ RCA jacks into a cassette player,
the RCA plugs into a mini-jack adaptor, and plug that into the mic input
on a PC ?
By Jove, I think he's got it. :)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

semuta wrote:i do this all the time from a mac. if you copy me the tape and post it to a safehouse where i can collect it I will do you a copy & upload it to the net although it might take a while for me to get around to it, i already have a backlog.
sorry I dont have any advice to offer regarding pc, I have an aversion to microsoft.
Thanks for the offer semuta, but I'll just do it myself.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Sterling. Good man. Stiff upper ... something or other. :P

(Moral: never accept an offer of help from a loon that requires far more effort than doing it yourself.)
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

You can''t go wrong if you've got a stiff anything in my book.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, cheers. ... That's um ... good to know? :?
inhuien wrote:Thanks for the offer semuta, but I'll just do it myself.
Probably hears that all the time as well from bints tired of him hitting on them? :P

(What are your sexual harassment laws like over there?)
semuta

Post by semuta »

inhuien wrote: Thanks for the offer semuta, but I'll just do it myself.
aw man, everybody says that to me :character-ariel:
FH, Intro to Eye
semuta

Post by semuta »

SandChigger wrote:(What are your sexual harassment laws like over there?)
if you work for the police, council, army, or any church, then you're covered. the pedophile who raped me as a kid is still walking and considered a local hero because he sells dope. the cops won't touch him for that either because he isn't the sort of fucker they want having influence in their prisons, and because he belongs to the same coven as half of them and those other groups I mentioned.

Although I really do not like the ethics of the BNP (british nazi party) (because i am a free liberal who considers this to be one tiny planet that would unite if all borders were removed) they were useful to me 2 years ago because somebody female & attractive quite high in their organisation is an ahem close personal friend :o despite the difference we have in politics and she and the BNP don't like pedofiles much either. the guy had it coming.

that's one good reason for me not making my address public on the internet.
Last edited by semuta on 18 Aug 2009 17:57, edited 1 time in total.
FH, Intro to Eye
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

semuta wrote:
SandChigger wrote:(What are your sexual harassment laws like over there?)
if you work for the police, council, army, or any church, then you're covered. the pedophile who raped me as a kid is still walking and considered a local hero because he sells dope. the cops won't touch him for that either because he isn't the sort of fucker they want having influence in their prisons, and because he belongs to the same coven as half of them and those other groups I mentioned.
Dude...seriously? Even if that did happen...don't you think that's way too personal to just throw out there on the internet? Rape is a terrible thing that scars its victims for life; not funny to joke about.