Bryan Singer re-re-re-rebooting Galactica?

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

GamePlayer
70mm God

Bryan Singer re-re-re-rebooting Galactica?

Post by GamePlayer »

This is certainly odd news.

Singer Helms A "Galactica" Reboot Film?
"Battlestar Galactica" may be making the jump to the big screen, but not in the way you'd expect.

HitFix reports that "X-Men" and "Superman Returns" director Bryan Singer may just be producing and possibly directing a new "Battlestar Galactica" feature film.

However, like the upcoming "Buffy" reboot, the film will NOT be based on the recent Sci-Fi Channel series that ran from 2004 to 2009 but rather a reworking of the original concept from the original late 70's TV series.

Nearly a decade ago now, Singer and producer Tom DeSanto came close to reviving the property with a 'sequel' to the classic show that would've kicked off with a $14 million backdoor pilot. Development was well underway when 9/11 happened and the network got cold feet which ultimately scrapped the project.

Two years later Ron Moore and David Eick came up with their own 'reimagining' of the concept which became the critically acclaimed but often ratings challenged cable series that served as the network's cornerstone show for the past few years.

Now comes this news that Universal still sees money in the property and plans a new cinematic interpretation, one that may not draw the critical raves of the recent show but could certainly open the franchise to a much larger audience more demanding of space battles and less of bleak meditations about faith and humanity.

The hiring of Singer, a solid action director with a noted passion for the material, is also a good PR move as ardent fans of the recent show might be more receptive to the property with a director many in that community consider one of their own.

The news comes nearly half a year after word that original show creator Glen Larson had signed a deal with Universal to develop a "Galactica" film that was not tied to any previous version. This would have to be the same project.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
A Thing of Eternity

Re: Bryan Singer re-re-re-rebooting Galactica?

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Sounds very odd, I haven't seen the originals, but I do have a book based on the first episodes of the first series, and it is very weird. It might have seemed like serious SF at the time, but today it would be pretty comical, I'd be interested to see what direction they take this in, more lighthearted or more serious.

I can't see them trying to compete with BSG reimagined for seriousness though, that would be tough to win.

(I'm going to rent BSG season 4.5 right away, so I'll finally know how the hell it ends! Best SF series ever IMO, though there are several I haven't seen so I'm probably full of shit)
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

I just remembered an original character from the first series of BSG in the eighties. One of the cylon leaders was "Lucifer", and when I think about it I now realize where KJA got his "inspiration" for the Erasmus character.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Good call, Serkanner, I think you might be right about Erasmus.

Yeah, it's hard to imagine coming up with a more pedestrian reboot of Battlestar Galactica after the BSG series. I didn't like the series unconditionally, but it was pretty damn good, and it was very successful at taking the same basic premise as the 70s series but making something completely different. (i.e. *not* just pew pew pew).

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

open the franchise to a much larger audience more demanding of space battles and less of bleak meditations about faith and humanity.
DANGER, WILL ROBINSON !! DANGER !!

and while the new BSG certainly worked (y'all know I was a fan - the only serial TV
show I've followed in many a year) and I was happy with the idea of the Cylons being
human-created robots that run amok & evolve, in the original series, the Cylons were
an alien civilization & the silver robots were just their tools ....

maybe that's the direction these folks are thinking ....

and lots of PEW! PEW! PEW!
{huge explosion}
{breathless, narrow escape}
PEW! PEW!
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Admittedly, I'm a little short when it comes to being up-to-date on my BSG. I never watched the original (a little bit before my time) and I've only seen the first two seasons of the new SyFy (grrr) series. What I have seen I really did enjoy, and I'm hoping I can one day finish at least modern series.

It seems odd to me that they would reboot it so soon after the series concluded, with completely new actors and a new feel to the film. It almost seems like a slap in the face to the creators of the newer TV show.

At any rate, I probably don't have any room to talk, so I guess I'll have to wait and see!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I fucking HATE Hollywood.

I seriously want that whole part of California to be hit by a large-enough meteor and sink into the Pacific. Fuck. :evil:
a much larger audience more demanding of space battles and less of bleak meditations about faith and humanity
Fuck. If this is a common perception in Stupidwood, it seriously does not bode well for Dune 2010(11?12?13?). ...

Hmmm. :idea: :?: :!:

:P

Hey, THIS IS FANTASTIC! GO HOLLYWOOD! GO PEW PEW PEW!!! :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:... large-enough meteor ...
Bear-shaped?

With a KJA-sized indent already in it?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Hmm ... that would require a crust recoil bounce kinda thingy, no? Increases the improbability of the whole thing rather a lot, no?

Nah, let's keep 'em separate. We only need a smallish one to take out The Hack. But Follywood is a bigger job. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I thought maybe it could just be a perfect carom. First, squash KJA at just the right angle, then continue in one bound over to Los Angeles.

It does increase the odds, I'll grant you that ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Hey, KJA could be in Hollywood when it happens. And if it landed right where he happened to be standing, technically it would hit him first and THEN California...right?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ah, a solution! :lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

open the franchise to a much larger audience more demanding of space battles and less of bleak meditations about faith and humanity.
OMG... :shock:

So they wanna rape the recent series by giving in to the lowest common denominator... :doh:

I feel kind of sad about all that dumbness from Hollywood...I hope District 9 will shake things up a bit to write orginal stuff... :pray:

In the meanwhile...FUCK HOLLYWOOD
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Confirmed. It's happening:

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/confirmed- ... ger-to.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Thanks, KJA, but I've already seen that story. No need to add to it, thanks.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
trang

Post by trang »

the original BSG started as a theatrical Movie, then became a TV series. This was the same for Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, a theatrical movie, then the TV series (Glen A. Larson Productions).

How does that relate? well I think it would be a travisty at this point, because of the success of the New BSG on SyFry, and the upcoming Caprica series, just no continuity.

It is another idiotic hollywood attempt at money grabbing. Sad Sad Sad and fraking sad.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm almost completely baffled by this news, but I am certain of one thing: I don't like the sound of this film and I'm very skeptical.

Truth be told, I thought the ending to BSG was good at the time I finally saw it but, upon reflection and a repeat viewing, I'm actually rather disappointed with the finale. I know a lot of it is my own fault for not accepting many of the themes that came out strongly in seasons three and four. The ending shouldn't have been any kind of surprise for someone who was watching the series, but it was for me. Mostly because I was ignoring a lot of the religious/theist subtext and themes because they just don't interest me. I think that's why third season was a little bit of a chore to get through. The ending did finish the series with a grand close, but too many open threads were given religious/theist explanations. As I said, it wasn't my kind of thing and almost felt a bit like a ID pitch when all was said and done. So someone else could certainly do no worse than the ending, if not the rest of the well-created show.

On the other hand, I'm trying to figure out what the hell is so good about Singer and DeSanto's conceptual ideas for Battlestar Galactica that they justify an unlinked feature film coming on the tail end of a successful and critically acclaimed re-imagined series. So big space battles and optimism is going to sell another re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica? Wouldn't that just be like, Abram's Star Trek? I'm also concerned about Singer's creative direction post-X-Men. His last two films (Superman Returns and Valkyrie) were anything but engaging and are noted more for their over-produced near-mediocrity. Singer seemed to work much better when the projects were directing his path and he had to work to make the subject speak with his own voice. Now that Singer has his pick of anything, it's almost like vanity projects and not-quite-interesting choices. Sadly, this Battlestar Galactica feature film sounds like more of the same from Singer: yet another film that no one was really asking to see.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

GamePlayer wrote:This is certainly odd news.

Now comes this news that Universal still sees money in the property and plans a new cinematic interpretation, one that may not draw the critical raves of the recent show but could certainly open the franchise to a much larger audience more demanding of space battles and less of bleak meditations about faith and humanity.
Hmmm...don't know about this. The bleak outlook on faith and humanity is one of the parts of the show I really liked, because it isn't common on television.

Happy endings (in stories, for those of you with dirty minds!) are great and all, but not every story needs to end with sunshine and roses. The path to any goal isn't always easy...sometimes it's dark and the going is rough.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm almost completely baffled by this news, but I am certain of one thing: I don't like the sound of this film and I'm very skeptical.

Truth be told, I thought the ending to BSG was good at the time I finally saw it but, upon reflection and a repeat viewing, I'm actually rather disappointed with the finale. I know a lot of it is my own fault for not accepting many of the themes that came out strongly in seasons three and four. The ending shouldn't have been any kind of surprise for someone who was watching the series, but it was for me. Mostly because I was ignoring a lot of the religious/theist subtext and themes because they just don't interest me. I think that's why third season was a little bit of a chore to get through. The ending did finish the series with a grand close, but too many open threads were given religious/theist explanations. As I said, it wasn't my kind of thing and almost felt a bit like a ID pitch when all was said and done. So someone else could certainly do no worse than the ending, if not the rest of the well-created show.

On the other hand, I'm trying to figure out what the hell is so good about Singer and DeSanto's conceptual ideas for Battlestar Galactica that they justify an unlinked feature film coming on the tail end of a successful and critically acclaimed re-imagined series. So big space battles and optimism is going to sell another re-imagining of Battlestar Galactica? Wouldn't that just be like, Abram's Star Trek? I'm also concerned about Singer's creative direction post-X-Men. His last two films (Superman Returns and Valkyrie) were anything but engaging and are noted more for their over-produced near-mediocrity. Singer seemed to work much better when the projects were directing his path and he had to work to make the subject speak with his own voice. Now that Singer has his pick of anything, it's almost like vanity projects and not-quite-interesting choices. Sadly, this Battlestar Galactica feature film sounds like more of the same from Singer: yet another film that no one was really asking to see.
you know, I've thought this before, but never said it:
when it comes to writing film criticism, you're very good.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008