Hacks coming to Pittsburgh...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Slugger

Hacks coming to Pittsburgh...

Post by Slugger »

...actually Oakmont, in a book store called "MYSTERY LOVERS BOOKSHOP". I went to the DuneNovels website after discovering in a thread here that they updated the site, and just happened to click on the "Events" page.

Now, the reason I bring this up is because I live about 1/2 hour away from Oakmont (never been to that shop but frequent the bakery there quite often), and was considering driving down on Friday. The store's website says they will be talking/signing WoD. Is this worth spending gas money to see? Has anyone else been to one of these signings? I really have no intention of buying WoD in hardcover, and I'm not sure what size turn-out to expect. Is it good for a laugh? Can I shoehorn them into signing Dune7?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Re: Hacks coming to Pittsburgh...

Post by SandChigger »

Never been to one of their do's so can't tell you what they're like, but Omphalos has.

They seem not to mind signing people's copies of their other books, that get brought in for just that purpose. (If it were a bookstore I went to often, I'd buy another book—not one of theirs, of course!—but if you don't use them, screw 'em for making a fuss over two hacks. :twisted: If you don't feel right about it, get a paperback by Ian M. Banks, China Miéville or Ursula K. Le Guin and make sure KJA sees it when they're signing! :lol: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

If you have any of their crap I would just give it back to them and with black filtpen written on the front: "this is NOT Dune!!!"
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Someone else brought this up first, so I can't take credit for it, but it's effing brilliant:

Have them sign one of their books and when they go to hand it back to you, say, "No, you keep it. It's a piece of shit and I don't want it."

Then calmly exit.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Yes, you must resist the urge, no matter how strong it gets, to grab one of their "books" and wing it at them. You know, like that guy in Iraq with his shoes did to W.

No matter how awesome that would be (pix or it didn't happen...or a YouTube vid) KJA isn't worth getting arrested for!

Plus you know KJA's TheJacket probably gives him book-dodging superpowers.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Book-Dodging +5 (30% Chance)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nice.

Plus a saving throw vs. Talifan.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

As far as I've heard they'll sign anything.

What I'd do if I were you is - take a nu-dune book... but where it says "DUNE" on the inside title page (where they'll sign it) put a big sticker over the word DUNE and write "SHIT" or "NOT DUNE".

Get some pics yeah :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

No - you should see if KJA will sign a copy of Dune itself. That would be arrogance, and something we could point to for years to come.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

There was a BH signed copy of Heretics on ebay a while back. But he did write "For Frank Herbert" (or similar) - I don't think even the hacks are that stupid...

(could be worth a try, although it will ruin your copy of Dune :? )
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Yuck. I can't see letting either one of those morons touch a copy of Dune.

(Not that there's any proof that either one actually ever has, of course ...)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

TheDukester wrote:Yuck. I can't see letting either one of those morons touch a copy of Dune.

(Not that there's any proof that either one actually ever has, of course ...)
LOL! Nice one :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

If someone did in fact throw a book at Kevin and got arrested, would we even know about it? It could reach local TV evening news, but would Kevin Blahg about it?

If they are still writing Dune for years to come, I will one day go to one of their book signings. When they are speaking about their latest atrocity, when the question and answer session starts, I got my question scripted in exactly the following words: "Omnius being taken away by Norma. Is this REALLY what Frank had in mind?" while holding up my copy of Sandworms.

The question does not address all my disappointments, but it sums up quickly how I feel.
lotek

Post by lotek »

there's this belgian guy Noel Godin who got famous for throwing cream pies to the face of the self conscious famous people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No%C3%ABl_Godin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Noël Godin (born September 13, 1945) is a Belgian writer, critic, actor and notorious cream pie flinger or ‘entarteur’. Godin gained global attention in 1998 when his group ambushed Microsoft CEO Bill Gates in Brussels, pelting the software magnate with cream pies (an invention he made with his long-time friend Jean-Pierre Bouyxou). After bombarding Gates, Godin allegedly said, "My work is done here."
This one on NS before he became :( president
http://www.wat.tv/video/entartage-nicol ... 7to8_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Would you get arrested for that?
Spice is the worm's gonads.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yes, you probably would. And rightly so.

How's about we can the talk of people throwing things at people?

And instead hope for a fortunate meteorite strike. :D
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I really think the only legitimate question that can be asked of them,
and I guess really only of Brian, is about Frank's notes.

anything else is too convoluted for the short time you'd have.

now, I couldn't do this, of course, but I think you should be as calm
and civil as possible, and say something like :

"There seems to be alot of controversy surrounding the "Dune 7" notes,
and other notes you say you have possession of. Shouldn't those notes
be turned over to the Fullerton Archive & made public for the sake of
Frank's Legacy ?"
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

SandRider wrote:"There seems to be alot of controversy surrounding the "Dune 7" notes, and other notes you say you have possession of. Shouldn't those notes
be turned over to the Fullerton Archive & made public for the sake of
Frank's Legacy?"
Amen to that.

And all jokes aside (even the ones about meteors), I would never seriously suggest that anyone cause harm to someone intentionally. In fact, it's my job to stop things like that.

Still...it's fun to think about, no?

If something were to throw a book at KJA, it might make the local paper. Unless it was captured on video, I can't see something like that making the evening news. If it were captured on video, I can't see YouTube ever letting that go.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Fun to think about, but if you joke about it here one of the idiots currently watching will take it an quote it out of context and blah blah blah.

People with little minds are such a joykill. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

For a couple of rat-fuckers who like about all kinds of shit, they will treat you politely as long as you do. I tell you what though, if you have taken the time to watch any one of those ubiquitous fucking You Tube videos of them you have already seen 90% of the lies that they tell at each signing. Its scripted and never spontaneous (I've seen two - identical). They should be willing to sign whatever you want, as long as you buy a book.

If you go, tell them that Omphalos wants to know why they ditched pulp era motifs for prog music themes. Tell them I though that was what he was doing with Terra Incognita. Why are they polluting Dune with it too, and what's next?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

SandChigger wrote:Fun to think about, but if you joke about it here one of the idiots currently watching will take it an quote it out of context and blah blah blah.

People with little minds are such a joykill. ;)
Don't want to add fuel to the fire, eh? Understood. 8)
lotek

Post by lotek »

here in france people take this kind of stuff in a different view it seems, and I really thought that a cream pie was only lethal for the ego :roll:
but I understand your point of view and I wouldn't want to "add fuel" to your/our disgressors rantings, considering the few arguments they can come up with, no need to help them
Spice is the worm's gonads.
HoryThory

Post by HoryThory »

Fuck it. Throw...something at KJA! A nasty word will do. How about handing him a book to sign and have on the inside cover some of that fake puke you can buy at gag shops. Tell him, "I tried to read it and this is what happened, dickhead."

But I wouldn't throw anything at him. Really. Not because I wasn't tempted but because it'd only add PR to his fire. He'd turn it around and use it against you, probably...somehow.

I did see previously where someone had KJA sign the back of a shirt that the idiot had no idea what it said on the front. That was brilliant!
Image"One tended to believe power could overcome any barrier . . . including one's own ignorance."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Kevin would love for some crazy talifan to come ranting into one of the signings and throw shoes and books at him because that would prove his image of us.

If you want to throw something, make it a question. Search this site, we've got tons of em.

Granted it would be pretty sweet to start talking to Brian about Frank, and when KJA interjects shut him down with

"Listen, I've READ your books and you don't know shit about Dune. So, Brian, as I was sayin..."
Last edited by Ampoliros on 14 Aug 2009 11:50, edited 2 times in total.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:"Listen, I've READ your books. You don't know shit about Dune. So, Brian, as I was sayin..."
:lol: I'd love to tell him that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Ampoliros wrote:"Listen, I've READ your books and you don't know shit about Dune. So, Brian, as I was sayin..."
Oh, man, that's good.

And, seriously, nothing would hurt Kevin more than that. That Great Author being ... dismissed ... by a Talifan?!?! He would be reeling.