Matter by Iain M. Banks

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

GamePlayer
70mm God

Matter by Iain M. Banks

Post by GamePlayer »

Just finished reading the latest Banks book and I wrote a brief review for those who are interested.

Matter (2008)
By Iain M. Banks

In this addition to Banks now famous Culture universe there is once again a grand operatic landscape serving as the backdrop to a series of very personal, character stories set in a familiar science fiction universe. The main thrust of the book follows three noble-born children from a primitive people. The princess Anaplian is recruited into the Special Circumstances section of the Culture and taken away from her world and family. Youngest sibling Oramen unexpectedly finds himself in possible line to inherit the throne of his land. Elder sibling Ferbin, with his servant Holse, finds himself on the run after witnessing a dreadful conspiracy against the kingdom. Now years after her adoption into the powerful space-faring Culture, a death in the family draws Anaplian back to her ancient artificial world. There, Anaplian must walk again amongst the primitives and uncover a mystery that could affect the fate of not only her own people, but also numerous alien races bound to the artificial Shellworld of Sursamen.

Matter, at some 586 pages, is one of Banks larger books in the Culture catalogue. This novel definitely indulges in details and includes dozens of characters and locations (though there is thankfully several glossaries for quick reference). Banks maintains the elegant complexity for which he is known and lays out his story in Matter with an engaging interweaving structure. Character development is strong in Matter and despite the fantastic nature of the fiction, the reader can easily relate to nearly all the characters, protagonist and antagonist alike. The events of Matter are grand, including wars and mysteries, personal tribulations and mind-blowing discoveries. The book is dense, but not incomprehensible, mostly thanks to Banks grounded prose and clever contemporary dialog. Banks is comfortably within his element and yet always makes certain the reader feels the same by using vivid descriptions and helpful explanations of both the technology and the worlds he creates.

As the eighth story (seventh book) in the Culture universe, Matter is surprisingly accessible without writing down to the audience. Matter is also near-flawlessly intriguing and each new chapter leaves the reader ever curious for more. In Matter, Banks also affirms, in violent detail, his tough and ruthless devotion to story. The characters of Matter are vulnerable to any fate at any time and Banks fearlessly ensures they are written to serve the story at whatever cost. The reputation Banks earned with his earlier Culture stories is maintained in Matter and he proves yet again that he is ever the risk taker now as he was when Consider Phlebas was published some 22 years ago. Matter is just as gritty as any Culture novel and remains as challenging in its dire imagery and tense danger as any of his non-sci-fi fiction novels.

Where fault is found in Matter it is in the somewhat excessive exploration of socio-political themes. While the book is rarely dull, the story does indulge its characters in ponderous and sometimes pedantic pontification. Ruminations upon politics, religion and existentialism grow organically from character development in Matter, but often the book dwells on such thoughts for far too long at the expense of pace. It is easy to find oneself tiring of such ruminations and wishing for some more cerebral chapters to balance the rather lengthy book. It’s also not uncommon for characters to be taken out of the narrative for significant periods of time. Combined with the wide breadth of the plot, this can sometimes make the reader feel as though not enough is happening or that the characters are not taking enough action. However, it is hard to fault Matter as it slowly simmers toward such a delicious crescendo and delivers a powerful close that makes the reader frantic to turn those final pages.

Rating: 4 out of 5. As daring as Consider Phlebas and as scientifically enthralling as Excession, Matter is as much an affirmation of a talent as it is vibrant growth of the author’s craft.
Last edited by GamePlayer on 09 Aug 2009 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Matter by Iain M. Banks

Post by Omphalos »

Dude, post this in the book review pages on T(A)U!

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

A very well-written review...thanks for taking the time to write it.

I have heard of Mr. Banks, but I haven't ever read any of his books. Still, based on your review, it sounds like something I might be interested in.

Thanks GP.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I loved Matter. Thank you GamePlayer for introducing me to Banks! I can't even really say I have a favorite Banks book, they are all so unique in their presentation. His universe has by far and above the best impression of how AI would have evolved.

I still need to read Excession and Look to Windward.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Excession!!!! :D

Hey, GP, what have you heard about Transition?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Omphalos
I usually post all the film/book/album reviews that I write over here at Jacurutu, but I'll post this one at TAU too.

smugetsu
You're most welcome and thank you for reading. As a Banks fan, I'd definitely recommend The Player of Games as good introduction into the Culture novels.

Ampoliros
The introduction was my pleasure. I never had anyone to describe Banks to me and I had to stumble into his work through trial and error, so I'm really happy to help others discover him. I too have a hard time choosing a favorite Culture novel since many are such good books. But I can fairly say that Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games and Use of Weapons are the three Culture books I look upon most fondly most of the time :)

SC
Haven't heard much about Transition other than a vague plot synopsis which reveals it's non-sci-fi. Which is okay, but I haven't read Banks non-sci-fi for a few years. I typically enjoy reading Palahnuik more in the realm of regular fiction, though Bank's The Wasp Factory is still one of my dark favorites :)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Great review GP. I liked Matter a great deal, but thought it was a bit too traveloguey. Still great stuff tho, and average Banks is still superb compared to other authors.

Favourite Banks? Hmm, use of weapons I guess, but you should start with player of games.

And yes, transition is non-m banks. Sounds a bit like The Business -big evil corporation up to no good. I've read most of non-m banks -only have 2 or 3 to go.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

See, I actually very much appreciated the journey part of the book, especially with respect to the subtext. See, one of the main themes of Matter is the growth of a primitive species (the Sarl) into a more progressive age. But for that growth to occur, someone had to dream or be shown the world outside of the microcosm in which they exist. That person (SPOILERS! BE WARNED! SPOILERS OFF THE PORT BOW!) was Holse and when all the traditionalist inheritors from the old way of life perish, Holse is the one who has learned the most and changed the most from his experiences. He's the everyman who has learned and grown beyond what he ever thought he was going to be and reached the potential of a Sarl enough that his future is to change his world. The traveling also had a significant impact on the other characters and their dispositions. Let the world change you... and you can change the world if you will. It's important for the story that the characters travel and experience what they did so that it can have an effect upon them and change them into the people they became. Their choices in the ned then become very dramatic and carry the weight of credible experience which only enriches the story for the reader.

Not only that, all this subtle prodding of the Sarl toward evolving their sociopolitical systems is so very, VERY like the Culture to do just that sort of thing. I mean here's this Shellworld controlled and administered by the Oct, Aultruidia, Nariscene and ultimately an equal level civilization to the Culture itself, the Morthanveld. Yet, in the end, it is the persuasion of the Culture in the smallest of ways, not the use of force by the Oct or Aultruidia, nor the ultimate control of the Nariscene or Morthanveld, that has affected the Sarl in the most profound sense.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

GamePlayer wrote:SC
Haven't heard much about Transition other than a vague plot synopsis which reveals it's non-sci-fi. Which is okay, but I haven't read Banks non-sci-fi for a few years. I typically enjoy reading Palahnuik more in the realm of regular fiction, though Bank's The Wasp Factory is still one of my dark favorites :)
Yeah ... obviously not sci-fi from the synopsis but they're mucking about with the "M" thing: on Amazon the hardcover shows it but the paperback doesn't.

Grrrr. :roll:

I haven't tried any of his non-sci-fi yet.