Looking for the FACTS...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Looking for the FACTS...

Post by GamePlayer »

TheDukester wrote:1. The admins have made it clear that the personal attacks are getting to be a bit much;
As long as the sexual advances aren't a problem, I'm fine with that :)
redbugpest wrote:That is what I thought. There is no “Provable Fact” and Dukester isn’t man enough to post that he spoke out of turn on the Amazon forum.
I suppose the real question is, are you woman enough to share your phone number with me? Or better yet, will you admit how androgynous you actually are, sending send me into an orgiastic state at the thought of you being lightly slapped with veal? :teasing-tease:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

sorry Chig, I just have to ...
redbugpest wrote: I have developed a healthy respect for the depth of knowledge you have on the originals, but feel that it is unfortunate that you have chosen to let you {sic} site be a haven for the intolerant such as The Dukester and Sandchigger.
what about me, you little asshat pickle-fucker ?!?

I've got plenty of hate-filled, intolerant things to say about Keith,
and I've never read more than a few pages of his bullshit, save what
I've been tricked into reading here and on the Chiggerblog.

I have a deep-seated loathing for the jackass as a person as well.

You just name them because they've thrown out flames at you.
OK, here's one for you : after looking at your white-trash, asinine
MySpace page (oh, & unlock your photo albums, hmmm ?) I've come
to the conclusion you are a disgrace to Southern Men and should be
lynched.

how's that for an unnecessary personal attack ?
tool.
Mr. Teg wrote:A negative review is never removed unless requested by the account holders on Amazon.

Guess who...
there's your answer, BTW.

& Teg, how do we prove that, to this shithead & the others ?
Is that buried in the Amazon fine print somewhere ?

& Freak, I'm sorry. Not really, but you know what I mean.
I'm actually considering, out of respect for you, clicking
cancel instead submit ....

aww, let's jess flip a coin ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

My God, it's just non-stop entertainment over at Amazon. Anyone on a lunch break or just chillin' at home should check it out.

Pestie has lost it. I can't think of any other way to describe it.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Nekhrun wrote:Amazon removes 1 star reviews. I genuinely hate kja's writing and have provided numerous criticisms for more than 10 years. They are honest and text based dislikes. Amazon will remove them but not the 5 star ones. I wonder why... :roll:

I give anyone credit for even trying to provide that prick with information to his questions, but the time has come to let him do some of that work on his own. It's all here and on Amazon open to the world, unlike kja's treehouse. (BTW, I like the excuse that it's a place they can go where they don't have to worry about us getting in as if any of kja's other sites allow us to comment [e.g. Facebook, MySpace, Dunenovels, Wordfire, Twitter, etc.] none of those allow for dissenting opinions either. Makes me wonder about what's going on at the special site).

Like some of you, I will not be responding to a hypocritical kja apologist who refuses to answer for the crimes against literature we've cited time and time again. The threads are here ready for discussion. I kind of like watching him bounce around from thread to thread trying to get someone to play with him, but now I'm thankful for the ignore feature.
Reviews being removed is not proof of the larger conspiricy.

Post by SandRider »

oh, I get it --

he's playing the :snooty: game on me !!

CONFOUND YOU CONWAY !!!!
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:My God, it's just non-stop entertainment over at Amazon. Anyone on a lunch break or just chillin' at home should check it out.

Pestie has lost it. I can't think of any other way to describe it.
He has. It's been kind of fun to watch him whine to Amazon and then realize that even though they might delete reviews, we probably spend a lot more money with them than he does so crying to mommy isn't going to work. Having a couple days off when this book came out has been great. I'm glad they moved up their normal release date!
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

SandRider wrote:oh, I get it --

he's playing the :snooty: game on me !!

CONFOUND YOU CONWAY !!!!
He's great at the :snooty: game on Amazon. He refuses to answer any of our questions but poses plenty of his own. He must hate that we have answers and years of kja in his own words to damn him.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Um ... did the ball-less wonder really post something about Dukester not being man enough to blah blah blah? :shock:

TOO RICH!!! :laughing-rolling:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Just to reiterate something SR said, because it is *precisely* the issue that Conway raised, so he should be interested:
Sandrider wrote:
Mr. Teg wrote: A negative review is never removed unless requested by the account holders on Amazon.

Guess who...
there's your answer, BTW.

& Teg, how do we prove that, to this shithead & the others ?
Is that buried in the Amazon fine print somewhere ?
Do we know how to confirm that's true?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Whether or not Keith is manipulating online book reviews still doesn't make his books not suck.

It doesn't matter whether we accept Red's explainations and interpretations for our issues, the FACT is, FH's books are canon and if Pinky & The Brian had adhered closely to Frank's story and even his general themes, we wouldn't have these issues.
You’re welcome to your opinion. None of the people that like the new Dune books have ever said that you have to like them.
Nor have we said you can't like KJA's "efforts".

It's when you call them "good Dune books" that we must protest. For they are not and we have given you several topics of reasons, citing inconsistancies and contradictions with canon. One of which you suggested an expaination which we dismissed as a physical impossibility.

This does not mean we're close minded, it means your answer (KJA/BHs) sucks. We told you why, too. That alone indicates that some of us took time to serioulsy consider what you were saying.
I have developed a healthy respect for the depth of knowledge you have on the originals, but feel that it is unfortunate that you have chosen to let you site be a haven for the intolerant such as The Dukester and Sandchigger.
First, thank you.

Second, I suport Sandchigger's cause. Duke, well, I just like to keep him around for when things get ugly. ;)

Seriously, I've known both for a while and respect them for their Dune knowledge and dedication.

All are welcome at Jacuturu... if you can stand the heat. :twisted:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, cause I can also go with Duke's idea that amazon itself removes
low ratings to make EVERYTHING look good ...

and hey, Conway, check it out - we're having a discussion about
Truth & Honesty - theirs AND ours ...

don't that just shift yer paradigm ?
ImageImage

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:... FH's books are canon and if Pinky & The Brian had adhered closely to Frank's story and even his general themes, we wouldn't have these issues.
I can trump that one:

If the HLP had decided, 10 or 12 years ago, to continue the Dune series with an author or authors who knew the first thing about Dune, respected Frank Herbert's legacy, took time to craft and revise their work, and weren't out for nothing more than a few dollars, then this site would not even exist.

We'd all be over at DuneNovels.com, discussing how much we appreciate that the new books were being crafted with care.
I doubt that. I do not think that any author would be "good enough"

BTW the Greg Bear novel is lame so far.
Hey, I might have eventually started my own Dune forum anyway. It had been something I've always wanted to do.

Red, I never expected prose anywhere near FH's level, I just expected them to respect his work by staying consistant with the published canon and FH's themes. I don't think I've ever really talked bad about their non-dimensional characters, repetition and just plain bad writting, there is plenty of suck to go around.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote: Duke, well, I just like to keep him around for when things get ugly. ;)
Wait ... what?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Freakzilla wrote:Red, I never expected prose anywhere near FH's level, I just expected them to respect his work by staying consistant with the published canon and FH's themes. I don't think I've ever really talked bad about their non-dimensional characters, repetition and just plain bad writting, there is plenty of suck to go around.
This is pretty much my take, too. I would have been skeptical about any author taking Dune on, but if they did three things:

* showed a keen interest in getting the details right, and expanding on the themes of the universe
* could actually write a book where the plot held together and the characters were real enough that I cared about them
* showed respect and humility when speaking in interviews and with fans about continuing the legacy

... then even if I didn't like the books themselves, I wouldn't think they were "destroying the Dune legacy".

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

Dune fans aren't the only people who complain about Amazon deleting one star reviews. This has been going on for years. Here are a few examples:

http://www.planetfeedback.com/amazoncom ... ews/307295" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tsroadmap.com/info/bailey-reviews.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://motls.blogspot.com/2005/08/amazo ... kpots.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://askville.amazon.com/Amazon-routi ... d=12828922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.bucksright.com/amazon-deleti ... -masse-304" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://glosslip.com/2008/04/10/is-amazo ... s-like-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

And THAT is some good research. Nicely done.

(Should I point out the obvious here? Nah ... let's see if he even notices)
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Oh, he'll notice. He'll just choose to ignore it and call our opinions closed-minded without backing up any of his claims.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

I work in publishing and manage several accounts on Amazon for the US, Japan, France and Germany.

Amazon never removes reviews unless requested by the account holder and qualifies for removal under set guidelines.

I can see how Amazon may have been convinced by TOR & HLP that 1 star reviews for their books are a unique and don't represent legitimate reviews, so the request for deletions are automatically granted. I'm not saying that is right, but that is most likely what is happening.

Regardless, at the end of the day, TOR/HLP have to request the deletions.
All you can do is directly contact and complain to Amazon when this happens which is hit and miss depending if you get the guy in Mumbai.
CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

They have tried repeatedly to remove my 1 star reviews and it it takes about three days of bullshit to get them back up, keep hitting them with "It was within the guidelines" and they eventually do repost them, in some cases.

Rob
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Duke, well, I just like to keep him around for when things get ugly. ;)
Wait ... what?
Maybe he's saying you're the fall to guy.

So since you have our backs, I believe we can have yours. :twisted: No one messes with our Duke.

Oh and I think I have seen, over the past few days, the shining example of the KJA's special forces I've heard so much about. :ugeek:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Mr. Teg

Post by Mr. Teg »

Looking for the FACTS...

A pic of Red during a special little trooper meeting with the Jacket.

CHOAM
Combine Herbert Ober Anderson Mercantile, Narf!
Brian, Kevin & Byron :? :cylon101: :roll: The HLP
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Eeew. Just like one of them there little ankle-biting yippy yappy dogs? Bleh!
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Mr. Teg wrote:Looking for the FACTS...

A pic of Red during a special little trooper meeting with the Jacket.

:lol: :clap:
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Whether or not Keith is manipulating online book reviews still doesn't make his books not suck.

It doesn't matter whether we accept Red's explainations and interpretations for our issues, the FACT is, FH's books are canon and if Pinky & The Brian had adhered closely to Frank's story and even his general themes, we wouldn't have these issues.
You’re welcome to your opinion. None of the people that like the new Dune books have ever said that you have to like them.
Nor have we said you can't like KJA's "efforts".

It's when you call them "good Dune books" that we must protest. For they are not and we have given you several topics of reasons, citing inconsistancies and contradictions with canon. One of which you suggested an expaination which we dismissed as a physical impossibility.

This does not mean we're close minded, it means your answer (KJA/BHs) sucks. We told you why, too. That alone indicates that some of us took time to serioulsy consider what you were saying.
I have developed a healthy respect for the depth of knowledge you have on the originals, but feel that it is unfortunate that you have chosen to let you site be a haven for the intolerant such as The Dukester and Sandchigger.
First, thank you.

Second, I suport Sandchigger's cause. Duke, well, I just like to keep him around for when things get ugly. ;)

Seriously, I've known both for a while and respect them for their Dune knowledge and dedication.

All are welcome at Jacuturu... if you can stand the heat. :twisted:
I have consistently said that they are not anything like FH’s Dune, and feel that they are good in their own standing as SF books. As for the items that you list as inconsistencies and contradictions with canon, all I can say is this:

Not every Item is integral to the overall plot, so something like the data packet issue, to me, is not worth bothering about, because it is obvious that the author intended that the signal be received at a later time through some device. It was clear early on that Omnius would be the intended final antagonist.

Some inconsistencies are going to appear in just about any book of any genre, I have enough imagination to see something that may have been an editing miss and just fill it in with what I felt the author intended and move on (like the disappearing / reappearing arm).

KJA / BH really do not have the same vision as FH had, and that will inevitably lead to items that do not “feel” right, or may take a stretch of the imagination. That would be the same with any author who would choose to write in the Dune Universe, just as I am seeing with Greg Bear in Foundation. He is not being as true to Asmov’s universe as I would like so far.

Other items that you have an issue with may just be the way that you choose to interpreted it, such as OM (I believe I may have actually surprised Chiggie with a quote I found in Chapterhouse to support my claim). This is where we will benefit most in discourse, as I also have an open mind, and am willing to adjust my cognitive schemata in the face of new information.

Just do not expect me to believe everything just because you say it is so. I will look it up for myself, and will challenge your interpretations if I feel that they are not in keeping with what perceive the authors message to be.

I cannot condone SC and some others activities, because they strike me as being in line with the type of extremist ideology that plagues the world today. The “if you do not agree with me I am going to call you names” thing really just removes credibility. I do not have much tolerance for that kind of stupid shit.

SC in particular is responsible for any effort by KJA’s fans to be more active. Fanaticism breeds fanaticism. You cannot cry foul because you have polarized the field through you actions.

The claim that Amazon may be removing reviews for sales and marketing reasons is probably correct, but not a KJA / TOR / HPL conspiracy. I would forward the theory that it is an industry wide issue because all publishers have a stake in the sales figures. It’s business.

Last thing before I call it a night.

I can stand the heat, and will continue to come back here, if you want to have a true dialog on some of these issues. Don’t ask or expect me to explain every little inconsistency as:
1. I didn’t write the books
2. I don’t have all the answers
3. I do not EVER pass notes or play as a go between with KJA or HLP
4. I do not have a ton of excess time.

I work, I go to school full time, I have a family. All of that comes before this and my other interests.

RBP

Post by redbugpest »

Mr. Teg wrote:I work in publishing and manage several accounts on Amazon for the US, Japan, France and Germany.

Amazon never removes reviews unless requested by the account holder and qualifies for removal under set guidelines.

I can see how Amazon may have been convinced by TOR & HLP that 1 star reviews for their books are a unique and don't represent legitimate reviews, so the request for deletions are automatically granted. I'm not saying that is right, but that is most likely what is happening.

Regardless, at the end of the day, TOR/HLP have to request the deletions.
All you can do is directly contact and complain to Amazon when this happens which is hit and miss depending if you get the guy in Mumbai.
I did notice that the CS dept was Indian. Big mistake for a book seller IMHO.

I would bet it is more TOR than anything, as they are the biggest stakeholder in the books. But I have no proof.