Looking for the FACTS...

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

redbugpest

Looking for the FACTS...

Post by redbugpest »

The Dukester said on Amazon:
"Because it is a provable FACT that Tor/McMillan, Kevin J. Anderson, the the HLP have conspired for years in an absolutely shameful campaign to remove negative reviews of McDune materials from this website"

I'm looking for these FACTS. Anyone care to lay out the case you have built for me?

Re: Looking for the FACTS...

Post by TheDukester »

Brian Conway, on May 10 at Amazon, certainly didn't seem to be so shocked by all of this. In his own words:

"Even if it is pressure from the publishers that does not mean that the author shoulders the blame as well (though it would be to their benefit). That would be indicative of a bigger issue in the publishing industry. Though I view Amazon as a "Wal-Mart" style bookseller, in that it has such a large distribution base that it probably wields much more power in its relationship with the publisher (akin to the power that Wal-Mart holds over its supply chain). It is just as possible that Amazon, who also has a stake in the success of any given book, is skewing the numbers themselves.

Since it is impossible to know for sure why, accusations should not be made solely against any one group, but the entire flawed process should be discussed.

So far, the focus of this thread has been that it is a KJA / Amazon conspiracy. Realistically it could be happening at any and all points in the chain."

(the bolded emphasis has been added)

Edit: bad tags
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Amazon doesn't give you a reciept when they edit or delete your comment, dipshit. Just look at the posts here tracking the change in favorable percentages and the comments to them. If you don't consider that proof, then you wont be open to anything else.

Edited to make sense.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

:snooty:
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Omphalos wrote:If you don't consider that proof, then you wont be open to anything else.
Those preeks: they are so close-minded!
:dance: :lol: :banana-tux:

Thank you! Thank you! I'm here through Tuesday! Be sure to tip your waitress, and please drive home safely.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

A personal opinion does not a FACT make...

Try again....

Post by SandRider »

:snooty:
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I think it's clear that negative reviews have been deleted at Amazon. The point of issue is whether KJA *colluded* with Amazon to have them deleted.

Amazon have incentive enough to delete the negative reviews themselves, to promote the product. KJA might benefit from that, too, but that doesn't mean he was involved.

What *would* constitute evidence that he was involved is if known KJASF members voted against reviews, which resulted in them being deleted. But I dont know if that is how reviews are removed, or indeed if that happened.

Does anyone know of evidence that links KJA to the deletions?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Does anyone know of evidence that links KJA to the deletions?
His innate evil? The fact that he eats babies, too?
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

none whatsoever - it just fits his personality, past behavior & M.O. in a way ...

I've always suspected the HLP lawyers had more to do with it ....

altho this IS all speculation - as has been pointed out,
Amazon itself has reason to bump up ratings - and apparently
is SOP in other areas away from the silly new books ...

it's more fun to blame Keith, tho .... :dance:

edit: Duke snuck that one in on me - and you forgot the drowning kittens thing, too ...
ImageImage

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Some of us also think he shot JFK. Ever notice how Kevin refuses to tell you where he was on Nov. 22, 1963?
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

interesting

try this fact:

The new books are poorly written and very badly edited and internally inconsistent. Not an opinion, that is fact.

I'm compiling evidence as we speak. Sorry real life had to happen or i'd have it done.

I've posted a couple of the problems already on amazon.
on page 17 the book says the priest messengers had to wait for a "suitably impressive" transport to bring the message to Jessica that Paul was dead and that was why it took a month for the message to be delivered.

on page 32 the book says they took the "first available vessel" to bring the message.

can i get an official response on this inconsistency?

Page 24, Shaddam's envoy arrives. They say it was less than a month since Paul died. Page 25 Alia comments on how "it's been a month" since Paul died.

discuss.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

TheDukester wrote:
Hunchback Jack wrote:Does anyone know of evidence that links KJA to the deletions?
His innate evil? The fact that he eats babies, too?
The Devil's Anderson!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

"Kevin? Kevvvin? Remember what we talked about? Pressure? (inhales) Take a big whiff!"

:lol: :P :D
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

Ampoliros wrote:interesting

try this fact:

The new books are poorly written and very badly edited and internally inconsistent. Not an opinion, that is fact.

I'm compiling evidence as we speak. Sorry real life had to happen or i'd have it done.

I've posted a couple of the problems already on amazon.
on page 17 the book says the priest messengers had to wait for a "suitably impressive" transport to bring the message to Jessica that Paul was dead and that was why it took a month for the message to be delivered.

on page 32 the book says they took the "first available vessel" to bring the message.

can i get an official response on this inconsistency?

Page 24, Shaddam's envoy arrives. They say it was less than a month since Paul died. Page 25 Alia comments on how "it's been a month" since Paul died.

discuss.
Could have been that the first available was suitably impressive, but it really doesn’t matter to me, the story, you (as no answer would be suitable), and is not an "Official Response" - you need to ask the authors or the publisher if you want an official response.

Nor is it the evidence of the collusion that The Dukester claimed was a FACTon a public forum.

No one is disputing that Amazon has removed reviews. Fact checked.

Now where is the evidence that makes this a FACT?

SC, Maybe you should explain to The Dukester about what Evidence and Fact mean…
Last edited by redbugpest on 06 Aug 2009 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Rakis »

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandRider wrote: it's more fun to blame Keith, tho .... :dance:
That's good enough for me! :lol:

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:Could have ... < blah, blah, blah ... play the victim card ... play the close-minded card ... blah, blah, blah ... random insults ... blah, blah, blah> ... and Fact mean…
:hand:
redbugpest

Post by redbugpest »

TheDukester wrote:
redbugpest wrote:Could have ... < blah, blah, blah ... play the victim card ... play the close-minded card ... blah, blah, blah ... random insults ... blah, blah, blah> ... and Fact mean…
That is just what you are doing - just admit you were WRONG

It won't hurt anything but your pride...

Post by TheDukester »

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote::hand:
+1
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

He's fucked.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I must admit, while I don't really agree with this practice of not responding to any of RBPs posts ...

... it's funny as hell to watch.

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I like it :)

Well done, Dukester!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm sorry, but assuming that Arrakis, the Imperial seat, and the sole location of the most important resource in the galaxy gets visited about once per month by a Guild Heighliner is categorically retarded.

Transportation in Winds of Dune a major point of contention: its quite obvious that KJA doesn't care about how the system would work, he's going to write the system around how the story works, even when it totally contradicts not only his own system but the logic of a space-faring society. He obviously cannot grasp the Guild's monopoly on travel, nor the travel times.

Chew on these and get back to me with a response. Answers from Winds will not suffice, you need to think about why these questions matter in the sense of Dune Canon and simple common sense.

Why does Shaddam know about Paul's Death before Jessica?
Why does Jessica not know Chani is pregnant?
Why are all of the Female characters, even Royals and Regents forced to use public landing zones when male characters can take off from the Palace landing pad?
Why is security in nuDune a complete joke?
How are Paul and Bronso hiding on the Cargo lander for "several hours" and then on the Heighliner and gone before anyone notices?
Why do the Bene Gesseritt not care at all that Young Paul has gone missing?
Why does the Guild punish Paul and Bronso for attempting (and in Bronso's case succeeding) to see a Navigator with exile to the Jongleur troop?
Why do House Atredies and House Vernius (sic) send the worst people to do the job when their heirs are missing.
Why does Leto punish Paul only by sending him to his room to think about his actions.
Why does a planetary governor pardon and release Jongleur dancers when Paul knows they are assassins who tried to assassinate said governor?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus