Looking for the FACTS...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Looking for the FACTS...

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote: Duke, well, I just like to keep him around for when things get ugly. ;)
Wait ... what?
Just a joke meant in the best possible way. :D
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Is connie a vampire? Can only go where he's invited? Talk about a turn on! I love garlic! :lol: :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
redbugpest wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:Whether or not Keith is manipulating online book reviews still doesn't make his books not suck.

It doesn't matter whether we accept Red's explainations and interpretations for our issues, the FACT is, FH's books are canon and if Pinky & The Brian had adhered closely to Frank's story and even his general themes, we wouldn't have these issues.
You’re welcome to your opinion. None of the people that like the new Dune books have ever said that you have to like them.
Nor have we said you can't like KJA's "efforts".

It's when you call them "good Dune books" that we must protest. For they are not and we have given you several topics of reasons, citing inconsistancies and contradictions with canon. One of which you suggested an expaination which we dismissed as a physical impossibility.

This does not mean we're close minded, it means your answer (KJA/BHs) sucks. We told you why, too. That alone indicates that some of us took time to serioulsy consider what you were saying.
I have developed a healthy respect for the depth of knowledge you have on the originals, but feel that it is unfortunate that you have chosen to let you site be a haven for the intolerant such as The Dukester and Sandchigger.
First, thank you.

Second, I suport Sandchigger's cause. Duke, well, I just like to keep him around for when things get ugly. ;)

Seriously, I've known both for a while and respect them for their Dune knowledge and dedication.

All are welcome at Jacuturu... if you can stand the heat. :twisted:
I have consistently said that they are not anything like FH’s Dune, and feel that they are good in their own standing as SF books. As for the items that you list as inconsistencies and contradictions with canon, all I can say is this:
To each his own, I guess.
Not every Item is integral to the overall plot, so something like the data packet issue, to me, is not worth bothering about, because it is obvious that the author intended that the signal be received at a later time through some device. It was clear early on that Omnius would be the intended final antagonist.

Some inconsistencies are going to appear in just about any book of any genre, I have enough imagination to see something that may have been an editing miss and just fill it in with what I felt the author intended and move on (like the disappearing / reappearing arm).

KJA / BH really do not have the same vision as FH had, and that will inevitably lead to items that do not “feel” right, or may take a stretch of the imagination. That would be the same with any author who would choose to write in the Dune Universe, just as I am seeing with Greg Bear in Foundation. He is not being as true to Asmov’s universe as I would like so far.

Other items that you have an issue with may just be the way that you choose to interpreted it, such as OM (I believe I may have actually surprised Chiggie with a quote I found in Chapterhouse to support my claim). This is where we will benefit most in discourse, as I also have an open mind, and am willing to adjust my cognitive schemata in the face of new information.

Just do not expect me to believe everything just because you say it is so. I will look it up for myself, and will challenge your interpretations if I feel that they are not in keeping with what perceive the authors message to be.

I cannot condone SC and some others activities, because they strike me as being in line with the type of extremist ideology that plagues the world today. The “if you do not agree with me I am going to call you names” thing really just removes credibility. I do not have much tolerance for that kind of stupid shit.

SC in particular is responsible for any effort by KJA’s fans to be more active. Fanaticism breeds fanaticism. You cannot cry foul because you have polarized the field through you actions.

The claim that Amazon may be removing reviews for sales and marketing reasons is probably correct, but not a KJA / TOR / HPL conspiracy. I would forward the theory that it is an industry wide issue because all publishers have a stake in the sales figures. It’s business.

Last thing before I call it a night.

I can stand the heat, and will continue to come back here, if you want to have a true dialog on some of these issues. Don’t ask or expect me to explain every little inconsistency as:
1. I didn’t write the books
2. I don’t have all the answers
3. I do not EVER pass notes or play as a go between with KJA or HLP
4. I do not have a ton of excess time.

I work, I go to school full time, I have a family. All of that comes before this and my other interests.

RBP
Not every inconsistancy is crucial the plot but it does show a lack of understanding or respect for the originals. If we can spot these inconsistancies instantly and KJA and BH are the FH #1 fans they claim, they should have too. They made little or no effort on these books other than to change Jedi to Bene Gesserit in KJA book template. Their books are an insult to our intelligence and to FH's legacy.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman