Canadian News

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Canadian News

Post by Eyes High »

My Dune brothers and Sisters. Just read this bit of news and thought of those who are from Canada. Hope none of y'all were involved in this or had loved ones there. Please know my prayers are with the victims. My Canadian friends please let us know that you are okay.

Below is a quote of the first two paragraphs. Following that is a link to the page where I read it. Hope the link works.
1 dead, 40 injured in Canada stage collapse
The Associated Press
Sunday, August 2, 2009 6:28 AM EDT

CAMROSE, Alberta (AP) — Fans screamed and ran for cover as a fierce thunderstorm caused an outdoor stage to collapse at a country music festival in central Alberta. Police said one person was killed and up to 40 others injured.

Thousands of fans were camped out at the Big Valley Jamboree in Camrose, 60 miles (100 kilometers) southeast of Edmonton, when strong winds and heavy rain struck about 6 p.m. on Saturday. The concert is billed as Canada's largest country music festival.

Here's the link
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Canadian News

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm fine. It's a terrible tragedy to be sure. I've traveled through Camrose before, but never been there for any period of time more than a rest stop.

Having said that, I wouldn't be caught dead at a country music concert (pun definitely not intended).
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Glad you're okay GP. again your good taste has saved you.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I'm way east in Quebec...

IIRC, only Thing lives in Alberta?
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I wouldn't be caught dead at a country music concert.
I'll drink to that.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Was it a stage invasion by Hyppo?
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Did I hear correctly that Kevin Costner was at this thing when the collapse happened? And that he was trapped under the stage for a short period of time?

They were talking about it on the radio when I was trying to wake up this morning...I wasn't paying too much attention... :oops:

Edit: Just Googled it, and yeah, he was trapped for a little while. I guess Waterworld turned Costner off of movies so now he's making music?
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

GamePlayer wrote:Having said that, I wouldn't be caught dead at a country music concert ...
"We have both kinds: country and Western!"
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Is it just me, or has that movie dated not at all?

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

I was on a camping trip with the company I work for, but I did hear about this. Terrible accident, and they had to shut down a concert that draws well over 50,000 people - of course that is the right thing to do when something like this happens.

I'm not surprised though, those stages are extremely difficult to work with even in good weather, with harsh winds I could see this happening very easily.