Post by Tleszer »

:lol:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
TheDukester

Re: The jacket lives!

Post by TheDukester »

ZING!

Nice one ... the classics just never get old. :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Never see them coming. :laughing-rolling:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I'm in the middle of the Young Indiana Bronso section. i was worried at first because the book seemed to be more boring than bad, but once Alia got started talking about historical accuracy it got really really fucktardish. (I am now convinced that at least half of the plot for Winds of Dune revolves around the HLP-OH conflict. Omph, what legal rights do we have to this? lol)

I'm annotating the book as i go this time, until I'm done here's a glaring inconsistency (which matters less as it becomes obvious they don't give a fuck)

Paul goes to study on IX with Indiana Bronso. No Problem right? i mean, we've already broken the rule that Paul's first trip off planet was to Arrakis. What about the quote from Dune that he had no childhood friends his own age? Well thats covered, Jessica restates it as he had no friends his own age on Caladan. Nice save right? Well Duncan goes to Ix, Gurney goes to Ix, good good. But no Thufur. Wait a minute, Paul is being trained to be a mentat right? Bronso isn't...SO WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY IN THE SAME STUDY PROGRAM.

Oh yeah, Jessica also mentions that Paul has no tutors on Caladan.

What did Thufir do to get so mistreated?
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I flipped through a copy of Winds in the bookstore yesterday, and stumbled across a chapterlet where Jessica is talking to Irulan, I think, about Paul's childhood adventures, and Irulan is saying "What? I didn't know anything about that."

Without reading it in detail, it looked like that whole exchange was meant to "explain" why Dune omits any mention of - well, flatly contradicts - the "young Paul" sections of this book. Although I didn't read it closely enough to be sure.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That sounds like the gazebo scenes. Before or during the YA flashback? ;)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

During I think. It was either at the end of a "Part" or at the beginning of one.

Sorry I dont have more details. I literally picked it up, scanned a couple of paragraphs, realized what I was reading, said "oh FUCK!" in anger, and then started looking at how long the chapters were, just out of interest.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, I got bogged down in the YA section on the synopses ... and just can't seem to get back into it. ;)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

SandChigger wrote:That sounds like the gazebo scenes.
There's really a gazebo?

Was it a ... Dread Gazebo?

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Knights of the Dinner Table? Or do you have your own version of the famous Gazebo Story™?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

The Original and Best:

The Tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo

HBJ
- Carl Sagan

- Iain Banks
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I love KODT. Our Wow guild is named after the Southern Orc League.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Mike Resnick has been posting pics form conventions on his Facebook.

Here are three more pics of "The Jacket" and a tux.

"I'm Kevin mother J fucking Anderson bitch"

Rob
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Do we need to add that blue shirt to the list, too? Isn't he often wearing it under The Jacket™?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

You think he's got, like, seven of those jackets in his closet at home? Like he found a sale at Filene's Basement one day and just stocked up? Or is he going to have to patch the worn out elbows in that thing soon?

I swear it's gotta have all kinds of food stains and encrusted dandruff on it by now. I'll bet it's fucking disgusting up close.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Aww the nice, that's sweet, he lent his favourite jacket to that nice man in the second photo.
lotek

Post by lotek »

I think that the Jacket found out about this:
I heard that Albert Einstein wore the exact same thing every day. Is that true?
Another story about Einstein that is highly exaggerated but has some basis in reality concerns his clothing. Many say that Einstein wore the same thing every day and had a closet full of the exact same suit, shirts, ties, and shoes. This isn't true, especially when Einstein's second wife, Elsa, was alive. Elsa took a firm hand when it came to her husband's appearance, and pictures of the two of them touring everything from Japan to the American Southwest show Einstein in beautiful silk vests, and dapper neckwear -- as well as in a kimono and an American Indian headdress. But after Elsa passed away and Einstein spent his last 20 years as a professor emeritus at Princeton, his clothing did become more, er, irregular. He openly disliked wearing a suit and while already legendary for often going sockless, now he wore sandals. Perhaps the most common pictures of Einstein from that time show him happily shuffling around his Princeton study wearing a big gray sweatshirt. Luckily for Einstein, his life coincided with the invention of the cotton sweatshirt -- for he was enamored of the soft warm comfortable garment.
http://www.einsteinatoz.com/faq.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And btw, this has got to be his best combover effort to date!

And thought it was true...
Spice is the worm's gonads.
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

inhuien wrote:Aww the nice, that's sweet, he lent his favourite jacket to that nice man in the second photo.

The Jacket look is sweeping the nation.
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
lotek

Post by lotek »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

That's one of our asshole mascots, Mike Resnick, in that second photo. He did a drive-by over at Chiggie's blog a while back, defending Anderhack and calling us all out. Typical Pretentious Author stuff, in other words. I think we also had a run-in somewhere else, too (some other random blog? Not remembering it right now).

He's pretty much an engorged donkey phallus. But, yes, with a fashion sense to die for!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fbNifMeeY8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Shit, I forgot: Resnick likes to do Google searches for himself!

Hey, Google spiders! Over here!

"Mike Resnick" Mike Resnick hack dickhead relic has-been "Kevin J. Anderson" Kevin Anderson Dune McDune combover asshat wannabe parasite arrogant arrogance ego egomaniac "never won a Hugo or Nebula" pickle-fucker hiker hiking dictahiking "polished prose" liar doughboy pasty douche-nozzle
lotek

Post by lotek »

I hate every ape I see
from chimpan A to chimpan Z

you finally made a monkey out of meeeeeeeeee!

ImageImage
merkin muffley

Post by merkin muffley »

lotek wrote:I hate every ape I see
from chimpan A to chimpan Z

you finally made a monkey out of meeeeeeeeee!

ImageImage
"I must admit, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor...."
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Is that Sid Caesar?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman