Brandon Sanderson, or Writing in Someone Else's Universe 101

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

othaderak

Brandon Sanderson, or Writing in Someone Else's Universe 101

Post by othaderak »

Don't know how many of you are into the "Wheel of Time" series, but even if you're not, Brandon Sanderson deserves some props for his work.

Robert Jordan, the series' original author, experienced Sudden Author Existence Failure just like FH. Also, he still had at least one book to write so the series could be finished correctly. But how to finish it... :think:

After Mr. Jordan's wife consulted with his former publisher, Tom Doherty, they settled on Sanderson because they both enjoyed his work and recognized his love for Jordan's books. No nepotism or hack writing involved, just skill and respect.

So... why couldn't this happen to Dune?

Even if you haven't read the original books, his blog is really good in terms of documenting his research-- he re-read the entire 11-book series in a couple months(!), taking notes along the way and comparing what he read and notated with Jordan's drafts and sketches-- and the feelings he has concerning his admittedly immense task.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/index.php: Check out "Wheel of Time portal" and "My Take on the AMOL Split"
TheDukester

Re: Brandon Sanderson, or Writing in Someone Else's Universe 101

Post by TheDukester »

othaderak wrote:So... why couldn't this happen to Dune?
This question is pretty much the reason why this site exists.

Had the HLP recognized that Bobo is pretty much a no-talent, we wouldn't be here. If they had run away screaming at the idea of a hack like Kevin J. Anderson being allowed to write in the Dune universe, we wouldn't be here. If they had any respect at all for their dead patriarch and his life's work, we wouldn't be here.

If they had just taken some time and effort to find an author or authors who cared — and who had even a glimmer of talent — everything would be much better than it is.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

TheDukester wrote:
othaderak wrote:So... why couldn't this happen to Dune?
This question is pretty much the reason why this site exists.
I agree. Unfortunately, knowing the nature of the question doesn't give me or anyone else an answer :(
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

True enough.

The answer can be extracted from my response above, though. To wit: The HLP is comprised entirely of money-grubbing boot-lickers who willingly sold their souls to a useless piece-of-shit hack for the sake of a few dollars.

That is why Dune has been forsaken.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I've never heard of Sanderson before this.

When I saw the thread title, I thought the name was some sort of blend of BH + KJA. Oops. :oops:

(Haven't read any of the Jordan, either.)
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

I'd definitely suggest it, as long as you've got enough free time to make a heft, 11-book commitment :D

The first book has been called a LoTR rip-off, but those comparisons rightfully end in book 2.
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

Also, the saddest part of this is that I "discovered" Sanderson's site because it was listed in KJA's blogroll, of all places :doh:

You'd think KJA would learn something from his "friend" about how to write NuDune stuff correctly, but I guess that's a little more demanding than, say, hiking :roll:
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

KJA doesn't take writing advice, he gives it.

I dropped WoT around book 7. I was tired of keeping track of 1 million characters, 3/4 of whom I cared nothing about. I swear he tells you everything everyone does that's above basic required bodily functions. New Book= Rand kills another guy with balefire, gets another wife, and X political problem happens.

Eye of the world was a damn good read, I just wish he'd wrapped up the series in half the time.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:KJA doesn't take writing advice, he gives it.

I dropped WoT around book 7. I was tired of keeping track of 1 million characters, 3/4 of whom I cared nothing about. I swear he tells you everything everyone does that's above basic required bodily functions. New Book= Rand kills another guy with balefire, gets another wife, and X political problem happens.

Eye of the world was a damn good read, I just wish he'd wrapped up the series in half the time.
That's pretty much what I've heard. I used to carpool with a guy that raved about him (and the new books) like I raved about nudune.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I read the first few books in the WoT series a long time ago, got tired of that one really bitchy character always pulling on her braids and quit.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

"Marcia, Marcia, Marcia!"
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Very Brady Fantasy Series?

(Or perhaps that should be "Braidy")

I'll stop now.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

In writing? Triplicate? :P
othaderak

Post by othaderak »

Mandy wrote:I read the first few books in the WoT series a long time ago, got tired of that one really bitchy character always pulling on her braids and quit.
Granted, I first read the series in junior high/high school and was more accustomed to seeing that sort of behavior (metaphorical and literal braid-pulling) on a daily basis. She's whiny for the first couple books, but gets her stuff together towards the middle of the series.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I might have been tempted to read them 15 years ago when I was reading fantasy, and had a lot more time to burn on Endless Series of Books. But the only fantasy I read these days is Donaldson, and in any case, I'm skeptical *any* story requires over 10 thousand-odd-page books to tell.

HBJ
trang

Post by trang »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I might have been tempted to read them 15 years ago when I was reading fantasy, and had a lot more time to burn on Endless Series of Books. But the only fantasy I read these days is Donaldson, and in any case, I'm skeptical *any* story requires over 10 thousand-odd-page books to tell.

HBJ
Man after my own heart!!! Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever!!!, have read the first two chronicles and have collected two of three of the last chronicles. Waiting for FATAL REVENANT hardback at the half price book store to land in the 3 buck section. I dont mind spending money on Donaldsons books, just trying to save money. He has a couple other series I been working on for my reading list, just havent got around to figuring them out. From what I gather he writes pretty good sci-fi too.

As for Sanderson, more power to him, if he is approaching writing in Jordons series with honor, respect, diligience, and accuracy. My friend Markus reccomended WOT, but mentioned it does get a little long and stretched in the later books (after about 7 I think he said). I have collected 5 of them.. and I got a two book set, I believe it is some kind of WOT "the early days" or something like that, looked pretty cool.

All my books are in boxes in storage at the moment, over the next month im moving, so plan to bring them back out and get organized.

The newest fantasy I have interest in and started collecting is the Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth Series. I watched the first 22 episodes of the "legend of the Seeker" TV Series on Hulu.com couple months back, was pretty decent, and its based off those books.

If interested in Fantasy, one of my favorites are the two five book series by Dave Eddings. Collectively called "The Belgariad" and "the Mallorean". Other couple favorites (next to LOTR) Zelazney's Chronicles of Amber, and Silverbergs "Lord Valentines Castle". Just flat out good old fun Sword and Sorcery!!

As to why KJA and the HLP have done what they have done? Well, they want money, KJA is the hired Literary Assasin, and they continue the march of destroying Franks legacy, with no remorse or concern for the damage.

I have only known of the McDune for little over two years, but is has been ten years since the two hacks started. Im still dumbfounded how the HLP cant see what they are doing to the legacy with each new book.

Anyone with any minor attention to detail can see the situation for what it is and continues to be. This last series being the worst of the lot, claiming to be direct sequels to the originals. When they are not even in the ballpark, and dont even live up to the advertised content they claim to say it will be. It is complete and utter bullshit and as long as they sell books, The HLP dont have any scruples about the damage and confusion it is causing.

We can only share our luv for the originals, and continue to hold the torch, shine the light, and wave the BS flag on these two until something is done.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

trang wrote:man after my own heart!!! Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever!!!, have read the first two chronicles and have collected two of three of the last chronicles. Waiting for FATAL REVENANT hardback at the half price book store to land in the 3 buck section. I dont mind spending money on Donaldsons books, just trying to save money. He has a couple other series I been working on for my reading list, just havent got around to figuring them out. From what I gather he writes pretty good sci-fi too.
There will be four Last Chronicles books, by the way, each three years apart. (Hear that, Keith? Three years. And he works damn hard to get them done, too.) The third Last Chron will be out next year, the last in 2013.

His SF is somewhat flawed, as some of the science doesn't hold up, but his plotting, characterization and tension building are top notch. If anything, the tension almost gets a bit much, and the prose gets a bit purple at times. But if you like Covenant, you should like his other work.

Read one Eddings series about 15-20 years ago - the first Sparhawk ones. It was okay, but a bit light, and I didn't read the second series or any of the others you mentioned. Haven't read Goodkind and won't; another fantasy series that just doesn't appeal to me, like so much fantasy these days.

(Oh, I also still read Wolfe, but he works on a whole nuther level from your sword and sorcery type fantasy. Great stuff.)
As for Sanderson, more power to him, if he is approaching writing in Jordons series with honor, respect, diligience, and accuracy.
Agreed, but strictly speaking, the jury's still out until the first book is published. We'll see.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"...and wave the BS flag on these two until something is done." :text-bs:

Hear hear! :text-bravo:
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

SandChigger wrote:I've never heard of Sanderson before this.

When I saw the thread title, I thought the name was some sort of blend of BH + KJA. Oops. :oops:

(Haven't read any of the Jordan, either.)
Ugh, don't bother. Not only is WoT mind numbingly derivative,but Jordan must take the title of the most long
winded writer in history. If you enjoy 18 pages of bathing, pouting and braid tugging/pulling, then WoT is for
you. I seriously tried to read these about 5 years ago, knowing it wasn't finished. I got halfway through the
8th book and punted - the ONLY time I have ever given up on a book.

If you must read something resembling high fantasy, check out G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire,
FAR FAR superior to WoT and Goodkind's Sword of Truth.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I bought all of those last year, mainly because orald kept going on about them, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:I bought all of those last year, mainly because orald kept going on about them, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.
Where the hell has he been?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SandChigger wrote:I bought all of those last year, mainly because orald kept going on about them, but I haven't gotten around to reading them yet.
I also got them based on orald's recommendation. I enjoyed the first three. Just started the fourth one, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy as much as the others since there are characters that I like who don't appear in the latest novel.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Where the hell has he been?
I don't think he likes a forum where users are allowed to tell him to fuck off right back at him.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I enjoyed Donaldson's Gap Series a lot.

For fantasy, I'm pretty picky, Glen Cook's Black Company, Robert E. Howard, A Song of ice and Fire pretty much covers the material I like.

Rob
trang

Post by trang »

Robspierre wrote:I enjoyed Donaldson's Gap Series a lot.

For fantasy, I'm pretty picky, Glen Cook's Black Company, Robert E. Howard, A Song of ice and Fire pretty much covers the material I like.

Rob
Good call :) I have many Black Company (on list to read), Robert E. Howard rocks. Ill look into this Song of Ice and fire.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."