Holmes

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Holmes

Post by Redstar »

So. New Sherlock Holmes movie. Thoughts?
trang

Re: Holmes

Post by trang »

I put Robert Downey Jr and Johnny Depp in the same category....uselsss hams.

Every time I see Robert Downey Jr's mug I think of him in a compromising position in a really really bad movie he co starred in called "Less than zero". He was the drug addict friend to the group in the movie.. which ironically paralleled his real life situation, at the time. His burned out look in the movie matched him real life.

How that affects the Sherlock Holmes movie (other than another addition to the unnecessary remakes paraded at us from hollywood)? hes a ham, he overacts every scene, and pretty much ruins any movie for me.

Johnny Depp never grew beyond 21 jump street... same feeling.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Johhny Depp isn't in this movie.
trang

Post by trang »

I know Depp isnt in the movie, just threw him in for good measure.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

it has potential. I do like the trailer, Rachel mcAdams in it does not hurt one bit, it may well be a return ot what Guy Ritchie does well.

Rob
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

trang wrote:I know Depp isnt in the movie, just threw him in for good measure.
EDITED BY THE ALMIGHTY MODERATOR
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Cautiously excited. I saw the trailer in the theatre on Thursday last week and it was great. I love the casting of RDJ and Law in the leads and I like the non-traditional approach that is being taken with this new adaptation. I particularly enjoyed the showcasing of Holmes physical talents, his considerable fighting skills described in the books being maddeningly absent from nearly all other adaptations I've ever seen. Of course, it's been a long time since Guy Ritchie actually made a good film, but honestly, Sherlock Holmes looks like it's probably his best work since The Hire. I'm definitely following this one closely.
Last edited by GamePlayer on 21 Jul 2009 15:42, edited 1 time in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Hmm.. last time I heard anything about this one it sounded all dark and druggy.

The trailer now looks rather silly. Looks interesting though :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Redstar wrote:
Cut that shit out, you! :twisted:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

It looks like a good film and I like Guy Ritche's film, BUT WTF DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH SHERLOCK HOLMES!?!?!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:
Redstar wrote:
Cut that shit out, you! :twisted:
:lol:

I thought it was pretty funny. Reminded me of old times on the Dumb Novels BBS. Ah, nostalgia! :D
Nebiros

Post by Nebiros »

I saw the trailer on Youtube and I think it is totally not what Sir Arthur Conan Doyle had in mind for the character.

Sherlock Holmes is a detective with a skill in deduction (if that is the correcet word) not an action hero.

The only exitement I have always thought holmes ever had was nearing the end of a case after tracking down the suspect. The suspect is attempting another crime and is caught red handed by holmes. He takes out his pistol to which the suspect would promptly surrender or be shot.

However, I might watch this film. I like action movies even if it is a cheesy adaptation to a great fictional victorian era character. Plus it's good for a laugh at how bad RDJ.'s accent is. Not sure though if this film will be a hit or a flop.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

*sigh*

Taken from the Wiki:
Sword In "A Study in Scarlet" Watson describes Holmes as a expert with a sword - although in none of the stories is Holmes mentioned as using a sword. [30] It is mentioned in "Gloria Scott" that Holmes practiced fencing.

Riding crop In several stories, Holmes appears equipped with a riding crop. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" he uses it to lash out at a venomous snake and in "A Case of Identity", he comes close to thrashing a swindler with it. Using a "hunting crop," Holmes knocks a pistol from John Clay's hand in "The Red-Headed League."

Fist-fighting Holmes is described as a formidable fist-fighter. In The Sign of the Four, Holmes introduces himself to a prize-fighter as:

“ "The amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back." McMurdo responds by saying, "Ah, you're one that has wasted your gifts, you have! You might have aimed high, if you had joined the fancy." ”

Holmes engages in hand to hand combat with his adversaries on several occasions throughout the stories, inevitably emerging as the victor. It is also, once again, mentioned in "Gloria Scott" that Holmes trained as a boxer.

Martial arts "The Adventure of the Empty House", Holmes recounts to Watson how he used martial arts to overcome Professor Moriarty and fling his adversary to his death at the Reichenbach Falls. He states that "I have some knowledge, however, of baritsu, or the Japanese system of wrestling, which has more than once been very useful to me." The name "baritsu" appears to be a reference to the real-life martial art of bartitsu.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh, don't bother Nebby with facts, GP! :roll:
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

GamePlayer wrote:*sigh*

Taken from the Wiki:
Sword In "A Study in Scarlet" Watson describes Holmes as a expert with a sword - although in none of the stories is Holmes mentioned as using a sword. [30] It is mentioned in "Gloria Scott" that Holmes practiced fencing.

Riding crop In several stories, Holmes appears equipped with a riding crop. In "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" he uses it to lash out at a venomous snake and in "A Case of Identity", he comes close to thrashing a swindler with it. Using a "hunting crop," Holmes knocks a pistol from John Clay's hand in "The Red-Headed League."

Fist-fighting Holmes is described as a formidable fist-fighter. In The Sign of the Four, Holmes introduces himself to a prize-fighter as:

“ "The amateur who fought three rounds with you at Alison's rooms on the night of your benefit four years back." McMurdo responds by saying, "Ah, you're one that has wasted your gifts, you have! You might have aimed high, if you had joined the fancy." ”

Holmes engages in hand to hand combat with his adversaries on several occasions throughout the stories, inevitably emerging as the victor. It is also, once again, mentioned in "Gloria Scott" that Holmes trained as a boxer.

Martial arts "The Adventure of the Empty House", Holmes recounts to Watson how he used martial arts to overcome Professor Moriarty and fling his adversary to his death at the Reichenbach Falls. He states that "I have some knowledge, however, of baritsu, or the Japanese system of wrestling, which has more than once been very useful to me." The name "baritsu" appears to be a reference to the real-life martial art of bartitsu.
I'm constantly amused by people that get their ideas of Holmes based off the Disney Great Mouse Detective and similar pop deterioration. :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I kinda glossed over the Martial Arts section earlier.

Bartitsu ... bar tits? As a martial art? :shock:

SIGN ME UP! :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Redstar wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:*sigh*

Taken from the Wiki:

*snip*
I'm constantly amused by people that get their ideas of Holmes based off the Disney Great Mouse Detective and similar pop deterioration. :lol:
I also blame Star Trek The Next Generation for broadly portraying Holmes as a hideously saccharine, rated-G joke. But then again, I blame Trek for many a problem (deservedly, of course) :P :lol:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I blame the *holodeck* for most of Star Trek's sins. The rest is reasonably intelligent TV SF.

Never been much of a Holmes fan in any medium, so I doubt I'll see this one.

HBJ
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

I'm a big fan of Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, so I am curious to see how this plays out. Ritchie seems to have mastered the modern crime film, so I suppose it's possible that Holmes will be alright. Have to wait and see...