Fun at the bookstore

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Ampoliros

Re: Fun at the bookstore

Post by Ampoliros »

reading through Winds, yes he does care. In Paul of Dune, KJA felt the need to specifically take a jab at us. In Winds at least 1/2 of the major point of the book is how KJA is right and we, the OH are wrong.

I'll report back soon: but here's one notation:
Pg 149 Winds of Dune: Irulan speaking to Jessica about the relavance of Paul's Jongleur days. "I've already had enough trouble with Fremen Traditionalists (Orthodox Herbertians?) who believe that your son's past has no bearing (KJA's Young Paul Adventures contradicts canon by even existing) , that before he became Muad'dib, there was nothing worth remembering...(actually, we've never said this)...I've been considering adding a companion volume to my biographies(at this point completely hijacked by Alia according to KJA), one tailored to a younger audience. A Child's History of Muad'dib, perhaps.(perhaps a slightly veiled threat to the OH that KJA plans to milk Frank Herbert's corpse dryer than arrakeen sand?)
Jessica responds by dropping the bombshell that it was Jongleur awesomesauce psychic/voice mind tricks that made Paul such a charismatic leader, not the mythic messiah role that he filled, nor the religion that sprang from it.

In short, the Kwisatz Hadarach of McDune is in fact Ronald McDonald.

You may rebut. I double clown prince dare you.

(Btw, one of my favorite stage magicians uses a lot of Jongleur traditions and skills and I am in no way disparaging the work that REAL Jongleurs do. Its frakkin amazing to watch and I love it for its antiquity and professionalism.)
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ampoliros wrote:In short, the Kwisatz Hadarach of McDune is in fact Ronald McDonald.
Perfect! :laughing:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

redbugpest wrote:That is so Junior High
I'm thinking Borders today, Bri-Bri. I'm off work and looking for some fun.

What do you think? Should I bring the camera?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

YEA! :lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

TheDukester wrote:

Do you even need to ask? Always! :wink: :P
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I have no doubt than Pestie has actually called my local Borders by now, alerting them to the dangerous Talifan that's planning to — dun-dun-dunnnn! — re-arrange a few books. :lol:
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'm going to print up a few cards to warn anyone who might want those books.

At the local used store I don't think there are enough books to cover up all of the copies of kja/BH books in Frank's section.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Happy Memorial Day everyone! -James C. Harwood

"Three of my videos have over 100 views."
"Over 500 views for my 'Open Question' video." -Nebiros
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've given this one a lot of thought.

If they're shelving by author, well, goddamnit, Brian's name is on there,
always first. So the very least of an argument to be made is that Frank's
books should all be shelved separately.

If the truth was told, of course, they should all be shelved under the "A"s - (for "Asshat")

There's the whole "collaboration" argument, but in the end, bookstores are going
to see "Dune" like "Star Wars" & all the Warhammer bullshit. It's all part of ONE
franchise, so the actual authors don't matter - which leads to no-one giving a
damn about being careful not to mix the real Dune books in with the new silly-books.

"Got DUNE on the cover ? Toss it in this bin ...."

until the major bookstore chains recognize that Frank's books really ain't "Science Fiction", anyway,
but should be shelved in "Literature", w/ Twain & Faulkner, this is going to be a dead issue.

it's another one of the god-awful irritating things that stokes the flames of my bile & hatred ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

You speak-eth much truth, Ancient One.

Bookstores were some of the first to give into the branding mania that began in the '80s. And SF/F, as a genre, just plays right into that, since everything has to be a trilogy and since the most successful brands have become worldwide phenomena.

That's one reason I love a good used book store. That's where you're going to find people who love books and have a level of knowledge that goes deeper than, "But Brian Herbert is his son!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

TheDukester wrote:That's where you're going to find people who love books and have a level of knowledge that goes deeper than, "But Brian Herbert is his son!"
Ahhh, good ole #4.
"If he was here to discuss Dune, he sure as hell picked a dumb way to do it." -Omphalos :character-cookiemonster:

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

TheDukester wrote:

Pix, or it didn't happen.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Nekhrun wrote:
TheDukester wrote:That's where you're going to find people who love books and have a level of knowledge that goes deeper than, "But Brian Herbert is his son!"
Ahhh, good ole #4.
:lol:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Today I hid all the Atrocities behind Frank's books again ( for the second time ). Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera ... no pics? It didn't happen ... right? :cry: ... next time I will.

By the way ... not one copy of Winds of Jessica yet in The American Book Center ... the largest seller of English and American books in The Netherlands. :?:
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

HURRAH for Dutch taste! :D
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:Today I hid all the Atrocities behind Frank's books again ( for the second time ). Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera ... no pics? It didn't happen ... right? :cry: ... next time I will.

By the way ... not one copy of Winds of Jessica yet in The American Book Center ... the largest seller of English and American books in The Netherlands. :?:
Did you check the audio books? A lot of kja fans are illiterate. Oooh another item for the list!

Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Nekhrun wrote:
Serkanner wrote:Today I hid all the Atrocities behind Frank's books again ( for the second time ). Unfortunately I forgot to bring my camera ... no pics? It didn't happen ... right? :cry: ... next time I will.

Did you check the audio books? A lot of kja fans are illiterate. Oooh another item for the list!
I wonder which list will become longer; your list or the list of inconsistencies.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Serkanner wrote:
Nekhrun wrote:

I wonder which list will become longer; your list or the list of inconsistencies.
One causes the other.

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ooh! Is that circular thinking, instead of pyramidal?! :P
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

I'll post the pic as proof when I get home, but at my local B & N there are no copies of Winds of Dune in the New Sci-Fi section. There are some paperbacks of PoD, but the only place they have WoD is in the Herbert section. All copies are signed, but don't appear to be flying off the shelf. I guess they know what people are looking for and what they're not.

Edited for more fun proof:

ImageImage
Last edited by Nekhrun on 24 Sep 2009 15:00, edited 1 time in total.

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Schweet!

Same tale here at the local B&N. Jessica's Wind went from "front of store" up to SF/F in about a week, then was removed even from the "new SF/F" shelf after about two more weeks. There's like four copies now, shelved right next to the Keith/Bobo paperbacks.

Demand seems rather low ... :lol:
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Dukester, the second picture, looks beautiful. Dune is Frank Herbert Period!. I've downloaded that image.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I checked out four bookstores in my area while I was home. All had at least one copy of the WoD, but there were no displays or other nonsense.

In BFE Ohio at least, MASSIVE FAIL. :lol:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Pics added to my previous post as proof.

TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I see at least one of Kevin's "critical darlings," though! :lol:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

For the first time ever (EVER and I've been looking) I found a book store that actually carried some of KJA's "original" works. Of course, they had an SF section six times the size of most Chapters' SF sections, so it makes some sense. The same store did have Winds on display in the new fiction section, but had only a couple of the other new dune books, and a pile of FH's stuff. Good to see.