Karate Kid Remake

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Karate Kid Remake

Post by Freakzilla »

Each time I read about a remake, a little piece of me vommits in it's mouth...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap. ... -remake-ap" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BEIJING - Jackie Chan will play the wise kung-fu master in a Hollywood-Chinese remake of the 1984 hit "The Karate Kid" that kicked off filming in the Chinese capital at the weekend, a movie company publicist said Monday.

Chan's young disciple in "Kung Fu Kid" will be played by Jaden Smith, the son of Hollywood superstars Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith, China Film Group spokesman Weng Li told The Associated Press in a phone interview.

In "The Karate Kid," Pat Morita plays the iconic building handyman Mr. Miyagi who trains one of his young tenants, portrayed by Ralph Macchio, into an accomplished fighter.

The co-production between the state-run China Film Group and Columbia Pictures started shooting Saturday in Beijing, Weng said.

"Kung Fu Kid" is being directed by Harald Zwart, who also directed "One Night at McCool's" and "The Pink Panther 2," Solon So, the chief executive of Chan's company, JC Group, told the AP.

Chan and Smith, along with Smith's parents and sister Willow, attended a traditional Chinese ceremony to mark the start of the shoot Saturday. Photos on China Film Group's movie news Web site show the Smith family and Chan holding incense sticks.

Will Smith — one of the film's producers — Chan, Zwart and others symbolically removed a piece of red cloth covering a movie camera, after which Smith gave Chan a hug, according to video posted on Chinese news Web site Sina.com . His hair done in a huge Afro and wearing a bright red track jacket and blue pants, Jaden Smith stood and waved when he was introduced. His father ruffled his hair when he sat down.

Chan said on his Web site he also attended the younger Smith's 11th birthday party last Wednesday, where he and Will Smith posed for pictures with young performers wearing red and yellow costumes with dragon patterns.

Ken Stovitz, one of Will Smith's partners in the production company Overbrook Entertainment, said at the ceremony Saturday that "Kung Fu Kid" will be set in modern-day Beijing. China Film Group chairman Han Sanping said shooting will last three months.

Chan juggles careers in Hollywood and Chinese-language film. The veteran 55-year-old Hong Kong action star will be seen in the upcoming the Hollywood action comedy "The Spy Next Door," about an undercover Chinese spy whose cover is blown, and the Chinese production, "Big Soldier," about the friendship between two soldiers set in China's ancient Qin dynasty.

Jaden Smith costarred with his father in the 2006 movie "The Pursuit of Happyness" and appeared in the 2008 Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still."
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Karate Kid Remake

Post by GamePlayer »

I'd rather they remake crap like this than touch quality films that shouldn't be touched.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

GamePlayer wrote:I'd rather they remake crap like this than touch quality films that shouldn't be touched.
That's a good point but how about coming out with something original?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Exactly.

I just wish someone would fucking nuke Hollywood already.

Or that the collective density of the idiots there would cause the crust under the city to collapse and allow it to sink into the mantle and dissolve.

But at least it's color appropriate. :roll:

(Does this mean Jackie Chan is gay? :? )

(Edit: "collective density of the idiots collected there"? Been reading too much KJA. :roll: )
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

there's lots of originality in american film-maker, just not from
the major studios. I have IFC on the DishTV, I've more beautiful,
amazing movies than I can talk about ....

I don't complain much about bad hollywood movies - don't watch them.
I think the last big movie I saw in the theater was the first new Bond
movie - and it sucked.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

What is up w/all the remake. My husband told me the other day that he had read where they are doing a remake of...

Red Dawn. Can you believe it.

But this might give you a small laugh. Just to show how much Jacurutu has intertwined into my mind, when my husband ask who they would be getting to play the part of the communists instead of saying “The Taliban” like I meant to….I said ‘The Talifan.’ :oops:

You guys are a addictive. ;)
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Talifan, Talifan, Lifesaver Talifan,
TALIFAN! TALIFAN!
:D
SandRider wrote:I think the last big movie I saw in the theater was the first new Bond
movie - and it sucked.
Dr. No? :P
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

oh, chigga, u so FUNNY !

you shoo be on Tee-Vee !
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Tee-Vee? What kind of med is that? :?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandRider wrote:there's lots of originality in american film-maker, just not from
the major studios. I have IFC on the DishTV, I've more beautiful,
amazing movies than I can talk about ....

I don't complain much about bad hollywood movies - don't watch them.
I think the last big movie I saw in the theater was the first new Bond
movie - and it sucked.

I love IFC.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I havent turned the TV on in weeks. Actually, I poked around a bit a few weeks ago. Couldnt even find a L&O rerun. What a wasteland.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Eyes High wrote:Red Dawn. Can you believe it.
The Red Dawn thing is hysterical. It just makes no sense at all.

Part of the appeal of that movie, as every thinking person realizes, is that it tapped into some of the fear and paranoia of the times — to wit, those Godless commies and their plans to subjugate us all. Memo to Hollywood idiots: those types of feelings just can't be replicated on a whim.

Morons, the lot of them.

Prediction: epic fail.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Freakzilla wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I'd rather they remake crap like this than touch quality films that shouldn't be touched.
That's a good point but how about coming out with something original?
Granted, remakes are a problem. Believe me, as a filmphile, I hear the same complaints about unoriginality from film audiences again and again. However, there are numerous reasons for our current climate of remake mania and not all of them involve blaming an easy target like Hollywood. The Hollywood studios are businesses and like any business they make product that they know will sell. If poor film didn't sell, the studios wouldn't make it and they would have gone bankrupt a long time ago.

Why does poor film sell? Because the discriminating audience for film is actually much, MUCH smaller than the current commercial film market. The majority of the current movie-going demographic are people looking for entertainment, not art. Most movie audiences don't care about film as an art form and aren't interested in any part of film other than the final product projected upon the screen in front of them. So why then are the modern movie masses made up of these mobs? Because the studios realized long ago film could be far more profitable by convincing the world they too needed to watch movies, not just the film fans. And who is better at convincing people to consume than our savvy paragons of capitalism, the entrepreneur? So how did the studios convince so many non-fans to pay for movies? Easy; they created homogenized movies that appealed to everyone, even those people who don't ordinarily enjoy film. Hence, this financially successful ideology has dominated most film industries (especially the United States) for over 75 years. These hordes of non-fans have been filling the theatres for generations, all of them taken in by a cunning marketing machine that convinces people to pay money for a movie even when there isn't a movie worth their money.

Much like KJA and his McDune. Sure Dune appealed to sci-fi/literature fans, but there was far more money to be made from Dune by convincing non-fans they too MUST read McDune! :)

Digressing back to our subject, the film industry has always produced far more uninteresting and disposable movies than it has entertaining, original and enduring film. Remakes have also been around long before our current film era, but most people simply don't know/care enough about film to realize it. But audiences are their own worst enemy. People say they want originality, but audiences have proven they would rather spend money on familiar mediocrity than risk paying for film that educates or challenges them. Because most movie audiences aren't film fans AND because most want their entertainment to be a frivolous escapism, they simply don't have any discriminating tastes. The audiences demand Hollywood make mindless entertainment that they can ingest as they would their fast food. Cheap, simple, shallow, unhealthy and instantly gratifying. Such is the state of our fluff-filled cinema, made ready to serve. KJA does his society proud :P :wink:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
trang

Post by trang »

I have suggestion, we have a pretty sizable group here with a collective imagination that dwarfs hollywood. Why dont we incorporate.... collectively write a book series that plays to the stupidity and mediocrity of the mindless masses and generate a large fund for Jacurutu.

At this point we could use that to sell the idiotic book to hollywood for a blockbuster movie deal.. make another large sum.
at that point we would haev a fund of significant size.

We could use that, as a group, contact some independent film folks, and start work on films from books that would bring visual joy and enlightenment to the screens of the masses.

I believe for our series we will need...

Vampires
Aliens
Dragons
Young scantly dressed females
Young Buffed out Males
Old warrior mentors
Magic
Special powers
High Tech gear
Swords and Horses
Explosions
Dimensional Travel
Natural and Unnatural disasters
Conspiracy
And a collection of funny hats

I think thats a good start..

Jacurutu, inc

Books and films

Multiple headquartered
Cayman Isles, Amsterdam, Tokyo, (US cities by a vote)
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

trang wrote:I believe for our series we will need...

Vampires
Aliens

Dragons
Young Buffed out Males
Old warrior mentors
Magic
Special powers

High Tech gear
Swords and Horses
Explosions
Dimensional Travel
Conspiracy

I think thats a good start..
I haven't worked out the details, but for a while I've been thinking of writing a comedy of sorts and you hit upon several ideas I've been toying around with. Since I'm still working out the details I'm only going to share this bit of info regarding plot:

The Killer eJaculatory Adoxography Initiative – the process used to destroy a universe/dimension through hackery
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

trang wrote:Vampires
Aliens
Dragons
Young Buffed out Males
Old warrior mentors
Magic
Special powers
High Tech gear
Swords and Horses
Explosions

Dimensional Travel
Conspiracy
My current unfinished project needs more High-tech Dimension-hopping Alien Vampire-Dragon with special magical powers...

Anyone got KJA's email? :roll:
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Don't forget the scantly clad females plus lots and lots of explosions.

Oh and to appeal to the female veiwers make the hero(s) Great looking men w/a might fine chest and a well define set of abs.

Now where is that drooling smiley face? :shifty:

There it is.... :drool: :drool: :drool:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
trang

Post by trang »

I forgot:

Black Holes
Giant Robots
Fast Cars

And that sounds interesting... a Giant KJA coming to kill us all, tharted by our heroes with special powers and toys and things. Sounds like a National Best seller!! with series and long term revenue genrating capacity.

I believe we need to hit the 300 million mark and then can spread that wealth amonst out group to free us from the burden of working for the man.. then the remaining revenue can go towards the next stage of films and generating more revenue to create the visions of joy and art aiming for.

Hell we might be able to generate enough to by the rights from the HLP for all things DUNE and create the Visual epics we all want to see!!! What a thought.

trang

Post by trang »

also need a paranormal element to this all (ghosts... etc)

Ideas are flowing!!!

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Tleszer wrote:The Killer eJaculatory Adoxography Initiative – the process used to destroy a universe/dimension through hackery
So it's a documentary then. While your getting on with that I'd like to suggest we get cracking with a re-make of the classic Tokyo Gore Police, but with more gore this time. :D :D :D
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

The Killer eJaculatory Adoxography Initiative – the process used to destroy a universe/dimension through hackery
I'm not so sure about calling KJA's work "fine writing on a trivial or base subject"... Kind of the other way round isn't it?
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

SadisticCynic wrote:
I'm not so sure about calling KJA's work "fine writing on a trivial or base subject"... Kind of the other way round isn't it?
True... but to twist the meaning of words... his work is clearly trivial and base:

(a.) Morally low. Hence: Low-minded; unworthy; without dignity of sentiment; ignoble
(n.) That part of an organ by which it is attached to another more central organ :lol:
(a.) Not held by honorable service; as, a base estate, one held by services not honorable
(a.) Of little comparative value, as metal inferior to gold and silver, the precious metals

http://thinkexist.com/dictionary/meaning/base/

Sure, I may be stretching the meaning a bit, but I think it fits. :cylon101:
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie