District 9

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Re: District 9

Post by TheDukester »

Man, that is one fine behind ... shake it, Jessica!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I've been resisting the temptation to hijack a thread about that... but it is very fine :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I was thinking today we need an "Avatar Archive" thread, may stickied
in introductions with Member Pics for you guys that come up with clever

oh okay, and on-topic ..... so I've not seen D9

how is it different in concept than Alien Nation ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandRider wrote:I was thinking today we need an "Avatar Archive" thread, may stickied
in introductions with Member Pics for you guys that come up with clever

oh okay, and on-topic ..... so I've not seen D9

how is it different in concept than Alien Nation ?
It's not a buddy cop show!

Also, this one is good.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:
SandRider wrote:how is it different in concept than Alien Nation ?
It's not a buddy cop show!
aka Yuppie and the Alien.

:P

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A film blog called Film is a Harsh Mistress just did an exhaustive critical vivisection of the 3rd and 4th Terminator films. At the end of their article, they give a great shout out to District 9 :)

http://filmisaharshmistress.blogspot.com/2...-future-or.html
The resultant mess that is the "Terminator" franchise is suggestive that the time for original, lower-budget, filmmaking has finally arrived.

Case in point - Neill Blomkamp and Peter Jackson's science-fiction, hard-action, spectacular: "District 9". A film as subversive in its production methodology as it is in its content. Produced at an underwhelming $30 million US (cheaper than your average Judd Apatow comedy), there is so much outside-the-square about this film that it boggles the mind. A movie produced entirely within South Africa and New Zealand, by a first-time director with no movie stars, a non-American setting, characters speaking in thick foreign accents and subtitles, in which the first act is told in documentary-format about an unconventional and unlikely action hero who starts out as a spineless, pencil-pushing, baby-killing, bureaucrat...has just passed the $70 million box-office take mark within 10 days of its release.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Took my youngest brother and mom to see District ( last night, both enjoyed it. Mom liked the relationship showed between Christopher and son.

Rob
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Monday.... quite excited :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

District 9 crossed the $100 million earnings mark domestically this past Sunday.

Box Office Mojo article
Holding well with an estimated $9 million, District 9 crossed the $100 million mark on Sunday, its 24th day, and became the 19th picture of the year to reach that level.
The IMDB hit list featured a link to a great article about Sharlto Copley. Mostly fan gush, but that's the point :)

District 9's Sharlto Copley
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

GamePlayer wrote:A film blog called Film is a Harsh Mistress just did an exhaustive critical vivisection of the 3rd and 4th Terminator films. At the end of their article, they give a great shout out to District 9 :)

http://filmisaharshmistress.blogspot.com/2...-future-or.html
The resultant mess that is the "Terminator" franchise is suggestive that the time for original, lower-budget, filmmaking has finally arrived.

Case in point - Neill Blomkamp and Peter Jackson's science-fiction, hard-action, spectacular: "District 9". A film as subversive in its production methodology as it is in its content. Produced at an underwhelming $30 million US (cheaper than your average Judd Apatow comedy), there is so much outside-the-square about this film that it boggles the mind. A movie produced entirely within South Africa and New Zealand, by a first-time director with no movie stars, a non-American setting, characters speaking in thick foreign accents and subtitles, in which the first act is told in documentary-format about an unconventional and unlikely action hero who starts out as a spineless, pencil-pushing, baby-killing, bureaucrat...has just passed the $70 million box-office take mark within 10 days of its release.
I was thinking of writing a letter to Hollywood, comparing District 9's success to that of G.I. Joe, and insisting that they stop making such a heavy volume of sequels, adaptations, and reboots. This movie demonstrates that audiences are ready for original stories once again. They might actually listen, if THE Final Destination wasn't at the top of the box office. :puke:

- The Final Destination -
Tagline: It's Not Even Different This Time...
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

3D is the only reason for Final Destination's success. The acting is shit, the story is totally plot driven to take advantage of 3D, and I admit some of effects are well done, and they added titties so the pervs could drool over boobs bouncing in front of them.

Rob
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

3-D titties ?

Hell, why didn't they say so in the trailers ?

Ida already seen this one .... what is it ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

SandRider wrote:3-D titties ?

Hell, why didn't they say so in the trailers ?

Ida already seen this one .... what is it ?

It's not worth the extra cost.

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Drunken Idaho wrote:I was thinking of writing a letter to Hollywood, comparing District 9's success to that of G.I. Joe, and insisting that they stop making such a heavy volume of sequels, adaptations, and reboots. This movie demonstrates that audiences are ready for original stories once again. They might actually listen, if THE Final Destination wasn't at the top of the box office. :puke:

- The Final Destination -
Tagline: It's Not Even Different This Time...
Sadly, the Hollywood studios know what they are doing, financially. They know what makes money and what doesn't; quality isn't a consideration when financing something like G.I.-fucking-Joe. They cash in on the inexperience and lack of taste for their primary demographic, males aged 16-24 who are only beginning to think for themselves and thus still exploitable. District 9's market is the over 25 male, also known as the demographic that demands quality. That demographic is a legitimate source of revenue to be sure, it's just not the primary profit point for the film business.

Horror films have been the sure bet for making money in the movie business for decades. Horror films are intentionally made on the cheap so that even the worst (which are the majority of horror films) generate profit for the studios.

The best we can hope for is that District 9's success launches the career of a promising young filmmaker and acts as a negotiating leverage for other filmmakers hoping to sell the studios on their own pitches for intelligent, engaging films that differ from the norm. Given the impressive money District 9 is making, both those favourable outcomes are assured. So we can cheer for that victory at least :)
Robspierre wrote:3D is the only reason for Final Destination's success. The acting is shit, the story is totally plot driven to take advantage of 3D, and I admit some of effects are well done, and they added titties so the pervs could drool over boobs bouncing in front of them.

Rob
That's good to know. The only horror film this year that looked good at all was Drag Me To Hell. I've not seen it, but I'd like to give it a shot.
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I'm waiting for Pandorum and Avatar, both new story lines that look to be a bit out of the box. Like others said here, that's what D9 had going for it.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Pandorum looks to be interesting, but I'll probably wait for the DVD. (People tend to stare too much when I take a comfy pillow along to the theater to hide behind ... my preferred horror-flick viewing configuration. :P )

Avatar I'm excited about ... not so much. ;)
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Part of me hopes they don't stop making shit films...

We got out of District 9 - "That was really good" "Yeah it was" <silence> I turned my phone back on and I received a text from another mate: "Go see District 9- it's really good." In all fairness though, it was really good.

Compare that to the hour-long abuse-a-thon we had after GI-shitting-Joe... :P
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Crysknife wrote:I'm waiting for Pandorum and Avatar, both new story lines that look to be a bit out of the box. Like others said here, that's what D9 had going for it.
I honestly think Pandorum will be a more faithful D00M adaptation than the actual D00M movie we got.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

That would be nice, seeing how that movie sucked gray matter. :P
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Weta website wrote:DISTRICT 9 : THE ART OF DISTRICT 9: WETA WORKSHOP

This beautiful 160-page hard-cover volume features:

*Foreword by Director Neill Blomkamp
*Introduction by Richard Taylor
*Behind-the-scenes photographs
*Commentary and quotes from the director and artists
*More than 650 pieces of concept art
*More than 200 photographs of conceptual sculptures and finished props
*Two-dozen concepts and sketches from director Neill Blomkamp
*Many images of props not seen in the final cut of the film

...and much more...
More info on this most fine book can be found here: http://www.wetanz.com/the-art-of-distri ... -workshop/