Wild Seed

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Redstar

Wild Seed

Post by Redstar »

Anyone read Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler? Anyanwu's abilities remind me very much of those of a Bene Gesserit, and I wouldn't doubt Butler had read Dune and taken some of that as inspiration, though I admit super-human powers of the inward kind aren't totally unique.

It's currently my second favorite science-fiction novel, and to me is more powerful than Dune itself (though not when compared to the entire series). Thoughts?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Wild Seed

Post by Omphalos »

I loved that book. Here is a review I wrote of it a few years ago.

http://www.omphalosbookreviews.com/inde ... ws/info/52" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Its the best part of the whole series its in.

Here is some more on Butler if you are intersted:

http://tau.solahpmo.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=268" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I read that review. I went through most of them and was glad to see you gave good ratings to my favorite books, so I don't necessarily have to feel stupid. :)

I seem to catch books somewhere in the series besides the first. I was lucky to get to Ender's Game and Dune first, but Wild Seed is the only book in the Patternist series I've read. That may be a good thing, but I'd still like checking out any other novel by her.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

The first of the Xenogenesis books is great. So is Kindred, and the one about the modern African American woman transported back to pre-war south.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Besides Wild Seed, the final book you mentioned is the only one by Butler at the local library. They're remarkably outdated, with a new library set to be built sometime after 2030.

I was able to grab Dune from there, but was unable to continue the series for over a year because I couldn't Dune Messiah wasn't stocked there, any neighboring libraries in that county and the next, nor some of the schools.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Where are you in CA?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

The San Joaquin Valley.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Stockton has a good library system, and a great FoTL system. You're probalbly down further south though if your library has a small collection of SF? Like Fresno?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Manteca. The selection is pretty good, but the place is very old and new books don't often come in. The city is mainly concerned with planting trees and tearing them down yearly, and labeling part of town "Downtown Manteca" when you can easily walk from one end of town to the other in under an hour.

It's actually the best library in this county. We actually keep our doors open every day of the week, while others are closed Fri, Sat, and Sun. Sometimes more.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think I saw that San Joaquin is going to buy into the new national media lending system. Its a new interlibrary loan system that will allow all libraries that pay to join to loan any material, including video. I looked at the list when Sacramento joined and Im pretty sure I saw San Joaquin on three too. You can borrow our stuff now, and Sacto has several shelves of SF.

Goodnight Golden Path!