Music + Maths + physics

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Schu

Re: Music + Maths + physics

Post by Schu »

the last set you did was based on 7/4, and IMO it doesn't really fit, since nothing else in your scale has any relation to harmonies with any multiple of 7 in it. +2 chords are good, it's just interesting to see them lacking a 7th, because in classical harmony usually +2 is in the form of a 9th chord, and that almost always has a 7th too, or sometimes as a suspension, which makes it not really a chord.

Glad I could be of assistance.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

And this is all Greek to me.

Y'all guys are just to bloody smart. :mrgreen:
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

It's like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher to me.

Not a huge surprise, though: I'm guessing I literally have the least musical talent of any person who has ever posted here.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Schu wrote:the last set you did was based on 7/4, and IMO it doesn't really fit, since nothing else in your scale has any relation to harmonies with any multiple of 7 in it. +2 chords are good, it's just interesting to see them lacking a 7th, because in classical harmony usually +2 is in the form of a 9th chord, and that almost always has a 7th too, or sometimes as a suspension, which makes it not really a chord.

Glad I could be of assistance.
Okay, so it is uncommon to use a chord based on the 7 of the scale? I know none of the other chords have a 7 in them, but if I was playing a melody in this scale I would use the 7 all the time, and I might every so often want to play that last major chord.

If you were just playing acsending and descending major/minor triads in C minor, would you play a different triad when you hit the 7th as a chord root? I thought I had the theory right, or are you just saying that artistically you would simply not play a triad there because you just wouldn't like it?

I love +2 chords, though I usually remove the 3rd (except I sometimes leave in the 3rd if it's minor, but in practice I think I've only ever done that over the root note of the scale). I do also love +2 with a flat 7 in a chord, but I was trying to come up with a set of notes that could be fit into two octaves on a piano (as it is now I have some leftover keys which may end up becoming interesting 1/4 tones), and if I added in flat 7ths I think it was going to take up too many. I may still end up adding them though... I really should, I love using them. (am I nuts that I would pretty only ever use flat 7s?).

Thanks for your comments, I really don't know what I'm doing yet, but JI has me enthralled!
Schu

Post by Schu »

Well, it is and it isn't. It's definitely odd to see it out of the blue, with no other harmonies built on 7, and in such a tonal system, it would sound rather out of place. It's less odd to see it in systems with chords built on 7, like the septimal minor chord (6:7:9) and especially the dominant 7th chord (4:5:6:7) and a few others.

The seven that you say you use might really be just an out of tune 9/5 or 16/9, especially if chords are built on them. I would probably, if I were playing triads, have it be built on 16/9 - so you'd have a major chord of Bb-16/9, d- 10/9 and f- 4/3. Probably.
A Thing of Eternity

Hmmmm... much thinking to do. What I really need is a keyboard and some software that will allow me to tune notes to exact root frequencies and assign them to any key (not just any key per octave, since I'll need a couple octaves of keys just to get one octave out of this idea). Money money money... I haven't found any keyboards that do this yet either, very frustrating.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

OK... y'all are flirting with violating the language rule. :P
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
A Thing of Eternity

:lol: