The Hurt Locker

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

GamePlayer
70mm God

The Hurt Locker

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm not sure why, but this movie really has grabbed my attention. I've researched all kinds of facts about it and eagerly read the advance reviews, most of which are heaping praise on the film. The Hurt Locker is coming to wide release this month. Directed by Kathryn Bigelow (Point Break, Strange Days, K-19: The Widowmaker) and starring Jeremy Renner (an unknown you may recognize from the zombie sequel 28 Weeks Later), The Hurt Locker is a war thriller about a U.S. Army bomb squad in present day Iraq.

I guess it's the premise of the film that has grabbed my attention. Plus, it doesn't hurt that this looks like the odd war flick about Iraq that isn't preaching some anti-war bullshit. The acting looks really good and in the trailer I got a kick out of the way they portray the effects of an explosion. I'm really hoping this film is good.

Anyway, here is a link to the trailer page

Anyone else got any thoughts about this film? Let's hear 'em
Last edited by GamePlayer on 24 Jun 2009 21:12, edited 1 time in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: The Hurt Locker

Post by Eyes High »

Couldn't see the trailer for some reason, but from your description it sounds like something I might enjoy.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Often the apple trailer pages require you to have the most up to date version of Quicktime before they allow you to access the trailer page. Since I provided a direct link to the trailer page, it probably bypassed the detection script that would have presented the option to upgrade your software first.

At any rate, if it still doesn't work after upgrading your Quicktime player, just type "The Hurt Locker" in Google and you'll be lead to the trailers.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeeeeew.

Yeah, wantsta sees it! :D
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Just saw this Wednesday. A solid film with plenty of knuckle-grinding tension and strong performances from the whole cast, especially from Jeremy Renner in the lead. The subject is very much dealt with in a matter-of-fact manner, achieving drama and tension from the natural dangers involved in what these soldiers do. This is easily the best fictional film about Iraq that I've ever seen and was obviously influenced by documentaries like Occupation: Dreamland and Gunner Palace. The cinematography was particularly good, using a combination of hand-held and traditional shots while rarely becoming overly nauseating or too overtly stylish. The picture has a way of digging under your skin with the imagery and really translating the anxiety of the soldiers to the viewer.

I must also praise the film's lack of melodrama and cliched excess. There are no political/ideological lessons preached. There is no obligatory love interest. There is no over-the-top heroism. Almost the entire film is driven by anecdotal stories, like tales you'd hear soldiers relay from experience. Granted, there is some cheating and yes, the film does take some license with events to achieve added drama. However, most of the drama is rooted in believable circumstances and the audience is never subjected to camp or dramatic excess. The story flows very well and never loses it's way, loyally remaining focused upon Jeremy Renner who lives and breathes a brilliantly developed character.

There have been plenty of terrible, preachy films on Iraq and they all sucked because they lack a perspective on what it's really like for the people over there, whether visitors or natives. The Hurt Locker doesn't try to sell you on anything other than an engaging story, smartly told and tightly presented in great film. Watch this movie! :)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Heard about this on NPR a few weeks ago. Sounds aiight.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The picture has a way of digging under your skin with the imagery and really translating the anxiety of the soldiers to the viewer.
Absolutely, little spoiler warning, the scene where they're all getting drunk in the barrack had me completely at the edge of my seat.
smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Well, I'm glad the movie is going to be released widely...it seems like initially it was only going to be a limited release, and it really does seem like something I would enjoy.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I so want to see this. I've been watching Generation Kill on disk which is a great "from the grunts" perspective piece.

Funny thing, the only complaints about Hurt Locker came from Big Hollywood a conservative movie site.

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Oh let me guess, they complained that it wasn't political enough? :wink: :P :lol:
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

^^^twas that and the lack of jingoisms.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

GamePlayer wrote:Oh let me guess, they complained that it wasn't political enough? :wink: :P :lol:

Nope, they were all in an uproar over the fact a WOMAN directed it. Said there was no way she could understand the bond between men, especially soldiers.

Big Hollywood is great for a laugh, the comments are beyond dumb.

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I love the neo-cons. They scream at the top of their lungs how enlightened they are as "modern" thinkers whenever you try to criticize their more archaic values. That's "not them" they say. But the moment one good woman blazes a trail, it's business (sexism) as usual :)
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

We were told to order one-sheets for it, July 31st. Finally something decent to look forward to!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Robspierre wrote:We were told to order one-sheets for it, July 31st. Finally something decent to look forward to!
one-sheets?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Freakzilla wrote:
Robspierre wrote:We were told to order one-sheets for it, July 31st. Finally something decent to look forward to!
one-sheets?
LSD blotter paper. Only dipped once.

Gonna be a great movie.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Alas no, it's more likely something more boring, a poster size.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:
one-sheets?
LSD blotter paper. Only dipped once.

Gonna be a great movie.
:banana-stoner:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

GamePlayer wrote:Just saw this Wednesday. A solid film with plenty of knuckle-grinding tension and strong performances from the whole cast, especially from Jeremy Renner in the lead. The subject is very much dealt with in a matter-of-fact manner, achieving drama and tension from the natural dangers involved in what these soldiers do. This is easily the best fictional film about Iraq that I've ever seen and was obviously influenced by documentaries like Occupation: Dreamland and Gunner Palace. The cinematography was particularly good, using a combination of hand-held and traditional shots while rarely becoming overly nauseating or too overtly stylish. The picture has a way of digging under your skin with the imagery and really translating the anxiety of the soldiers to the viewer.

I must also praise the film's lack of melodrama and cliched excess. There are no political/ideological lessons preached. There is no obligatory love interest. There is no over-the-top heroism. Almost the entire film is driven by anecdotal stories, like tales you'd hear soldiers relay from experience. Granted, there is some cheating and yes, the film does take some license with events to achieve added drama. However, most of the drama is rooted in believable circumstances and the audience is never subjected to camp or dramatic excess. The story flows very well and never loses it's way, loyally remaining focused upon Jeremy Renner who lives and breathes a brilliantly developed character.

There have been plenty of terrible, preachy films on Iraq and they all sucked because they lack a perspective on what it's really like for the people over there, whether visitors or natives. The Hurt Locker doesn't try to sell you on anything other than an engaging story, smartly told and tightly presented in great film. Watch this movie! :)
QFT - Yes :D

Awesome film, but it has left me a bit jangled. Defiantly one for the cinema if you can still find it (I think I just saw the last ever showing at my cinema).
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Idahopotato

Post by Idahopotato »

DuneFishUK wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:Just saw this Wednesday. A solid film with plenty of knuckle-grinding tension and strong performances from the whole cast, especially from Jeremy Renner in the lead. The subject is very much dealt with in a matter-of-fact manner, achieving drama and tension from the natural dangers involved in what these soldiers do. This is easily the best fictional film about Iraq that I've ever seen and was obviously influenced by documentaries like Occupation: Dreamland and Gunner Palace. The cinematography was particularly good, using a combination of hand-held and traditional shots while rarely becoming overly nauseating or too overtly stylish. The picture has a way of digging under your skin with the imagery and really translating the anxiety of the soldiers to the viewer.

QFT - Yes :D

Awesome film, but it has left me a bit jangled. Defiantly one for the cinema if you can still find it (I think I just saw the last ever showing at my cinema).
I really liked this movie a lot. I don't think I have ever seen a war movie that actually captured the nuances of a combat soldier that is usually glossed over, or else altogether left out. I have never been to Iraq, but war is war anywhere and the way it affects soldiers is pretty similar. They did a good job with really peeling away at each character type. My two favorite scenes are the barracks brawl, and the sniper scene. The sniper scene in particular could have been so utterly boring, but the way it was done I never felt like it was slow. Perhaps that is just due to my experience, but I think they captured it very well. I am not ashamed to say that I had some difficulty sleeping for a few weeks after watching it. Maybe Big Hollywood should incorporate more women directors.
trang

Post by trang »

watched this and it was pretty good, left a weird feeling inside, kind of like the war scenes in JARHEAD did. This was way better than Jarhead, just a different than the norm film, which was refreshing.

Characters were well acted, the pace was very good, and it allowed me to immerse in the story very easily.

4 out 5 lasguns.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

smugetsu

Post by smugetsu »

Anyone know when this will be released to DVD in the US? Been searching on the internet and haven't found a concrete release date as of yet. Amazon says September 22 of this year, but mysteriously it is unavailable.

Best I could find in other internet forums was "maybe January."

Hell, maybe Trang could burn me a copy...? :shifty: