Extended Auto Service Plans

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Extended Auto Service Plans

Post by Freakzilla »

I just signed my 1995 Caddilac Deville up with US Fidelis. You've probably seen the Rusty Wallace TV commercials in the US.

They quoted me a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty with no deductable for a total of $1945 ($150 down, $75 for 24 mo.).

It includes towing, roadside assistance and a rental car.

I can still cancel it before Friday and I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with these type of plans or this company specifically.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Re: Extended Auto Service Plans

Post by Omphalos »

I bought an extended powertrain warranty on my last Volvo. That car has an angle drive bolt to powered the front differential. It went out twice and they replaced it both times for free. Cost for that repair would have been in the thousands each time.

Not sure about your company though. Go to the Atlanta Department of Insurance and look them up. The Department of State, Commerce, and the BBB may have some information on them too, and can tell you if they honor claims or screw around with insureds.

What is the value of your Cadillac? Sounds like you may be paying 1/2 or 1/3 of the value of the vehicle for the warranty. I know you have had trouble with it in the past. Would it be better to use that money to buy a new car? Generally the newer the car the cheaper the warranty. I bought my Volvo warranty on the secondary market (not through the dealer, who wanted $1,200) on a 1998 Volvo in 2001 for about $600.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Omphalos wrote:I bought an extended powertrain warranty on my last Volvo. That car has an angle drive bolt to powered the front differential. It went out twice and they replaced it both times for free. Cost for that repair would have been in the thousands each time.

Not sure about your company though. Go to the Atlanta Department of Insurance and look them up. The Department of State, Commerce, and the BBB may have some information on them too, and can tell you if they honor claims or screw around with insureds.
Thanks for the tip, I'll do that.
What is the value of your Cadillac? Sounds like you may be paying 1/2 or 1/3 of the value of the vehicle for the warranty. I know you have had trouble with it in the past. Would it be better to use that money to buy a new car? Generally the newer the car the cheaper the warranty. I bought my Volvo warranty on the secondary market (not through the dealer, who wanted $1,200) on a 1998 Volvo in 2001 for about $600.
Well, there's other factors there. I don't have the credit for a new car, nor is the money in the budget for a payment and full coverage insurance on a finaced car. I don't think gas savings would come close to offsetting those.

Getting a new-used car is a devil I don't know, I'd rather stick with the devil I know. My folks owned this car before me so I know exactly what service has been done in the past and whatnot.

Plus... they don't make them like this anymore. This car is a tank and I can fit my whole family in it and feel safe doing so.

I think that if I can use this warranty to get some major repairs done (transmission torque converter, maybe even an engine overhaul) and I can keep up regular maintenance it will last many more years.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ack! I meant the GA department of insurance.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!