Top Ten Lasting Movie (Mis)Quotes

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Top Ten Lasting Movie (Mis)Quotes

Post by Freakzilla »

by Access Hollywood    May 13, 2009

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Some of the most quintessential frequently recited movie lines of all time were never even said. Here are ten of the most misquoted movie lines of all time (as compiled by Guardian.co.uk).

10. "Mrs. Robinson, are you trying to seduce me?"
The Graduate (1967) - The quote in the actual movie was not a question at all. Instead, Benjamin simply stated, "Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me."

9. "I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto"
The Wizard of Oz (1939) - The real movie line is slightly different, and less certain. When Dorothy arrived in Oz she said, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more."

8. "If you build it, they will come"
Field of Dreams (1989) - There's a slight variance from the popular line that is constantly quoted. Instead, the real quote is, "If you build it, he will come."

7. "Frankly, Scarlett, I don't give a damn"
Gone With the Wind (1939) - Rhett Butler is often misquoted in one of the most popular movie lines of all time. He never says "Scarlett" in the famous line and instead stated, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

6. "Beam me up, Scotty"
Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) - The most well known "Star Trek" line, "Beam me up, Scotty" was never actually said in any of the Star Trek films. Instead Kirk said, "Scotty, beam us up."

5. "Hello, Clarice"
The Silence of the Lambs (1991) - The creepy line uttered by Dr. Hannibal Lecter was quite different than it is remembered. He, in fact, said, "Good evening, Clarice."

4. "Play it again, Sam."
Casablanca (1942) - Turns out that Humphrey Bogart never said these famous four words. Instead, the closest he came was, "You played it for her, you can play it for me. If she can stand it, I can. Play it!"

3. "Do you feel lucky, punk?"
Dirty Harry (1971) - The actual line in this movie is far less catchy: "You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya punk?"

2. "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?"
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (1937) - Every day the queen consulted her mirror on the wall, however, instead of the famous quote we remember, she called, "Magic Mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?"

1. "Luke, I am your father"
The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - This commonly quoted line, which Darth Vader was known to utter to young Luke Skywalker, was never said at all. The real movie line was "No, I am your father."
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Re: Top Ten Lasting Movie (Mis)Quotes

Post by TheDukester »

#4 is a famous one ... I guessed it before opening this thread.

Some of the others are new to me. Hell, some of them I've said wrong in the past, and I'm one of those guys who gets irritated when other people get movie lines and song lyrics wrong.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

#8 is a surprise...but anyway, people get it when you quote it, however wrong...
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I've screwed up a few quotes from movies, but I usually correct myself. I knew about most of these, but I share the surprise of Rakis regarding that Field of Dreams quote. I was sure it was "them". Weirdness.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Schu

Post by Schu »

GamePlayer wrote:I've screwed up a few quotes from movies, but I usually correct myself. I knew about most of these, but I share the surprise of Rakis regarding that Field of Dreams quote. I was sure it was "them". Weirdness.
If you build it, them will come? :lol:

I knew about half of them. I'm surprised people get #1 wrong, I quote it correctly all the time when I want to elicit a reaction of "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Them" is oblique/objective case, so it would have to be

If you build them, it will come.

:P

Or ... If you come, it will build them? Ooh. :shock:

Something like that?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

If y'all build that there, them's gonna come :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I don't recognize the new avatar, but the writing says something about "Public Restroom 45, Urinal 2". :shock:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

I'm pretty sure that the "Field of Dreams" line was used in promotional materials for the film as they.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Wrapped up like a douche you're the ruler of the night

Ohhhhh, moooovies!

;)
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:I don't recognize the new avatar, but the writing says something about "Public Restroom 45, Urinal 2". :shock:
They are made up characters, SC and there's no numbers there. They don't mean anything :)
My new avatar is fan art of Five Star Stories. I like them because they make for eye-catching avatars.
Baraka Bryan wrote:if you come on them, it will need to build a kleenex... :shock:
Wow, you must have REALLY had fun with those girls you met in Hamilton :)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Spicelon wrote:Wrapped up like a douche you're the ruler of the night

Ohhhhh, moooovies!

;)
for reference & topic derailment :
Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing, the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot, snappin' his fingers, clappin' his hands
And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers, "Daddy's within earshot, save the buckshot, turn up the band"

And she was blinded by the light
Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the East
He says, "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone, watchin' the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah, he was blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
He got down but he never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
She said, "I'll turn you on, sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break"
And Go-Cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer, playin' backyard bombardier
Yes, and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent some dude with a calling card, he said, "Do what you like, but don't do it here"
Well, I jumped up, turned around, spit in the air, fell on the ground and asked him which was the way back home
He said, "Take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then, boy, you're on your own"
And now in Zanzibar, a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car, hummin' a lunar tune
Yes, and the avatar said, "Blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar, we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon"
And some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night
Well, I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw a gap but figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Oh, but Mama, that's where the fun is
I was blinded
I was blinded
I was blinded
which I always thought was some of the dumbest shit ever written on cocaine.
cool song, nicely produced, means nothing ....

and the way Bruce "sings" combined with the meatwad lyrics could only produce mis-quotes ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandRider wrote:
Spicelon wrote:Wrapped up like a douche you're the ruler of the night

Ohhhhh, moooovies!

;)
for reference & topic derailment :
Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the summer with a teenage diplomat
In the dumps with the mumps as the adolescent pumps his way into his hat
With a boulder on my shoulder, feelin' kinda older, I tripped the merry-go-round
With this very unpleasing sneezing and wheezing, the calliope crashed to the ground
Some all-hot half-shot was headin' for the hot spot, snappin' his fingers, clappin' his hands
And some fleshpot mascot was tied into a lover's knot with a whatnot in her hand
And now young Scott with a slingshot finally found a tender spot and throws his lover in the sand
And some bloodshot forget-me-not whispers, "Daddy's within earshot, save the buckshot, turn up the band"

And she was blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
She got down but she never got tight, but she'll make it alright

Some brimstone baritone anti-cyclone rolling stone preacher from the East
He says, "Dethrone the dictaphone, hit it in its funny bone, that's where they expect it least"
And some new-mown chaperone was standin' in the corner all alone, watchin' the young girls dance
And some fresh-sown moonstone was messin' with his frozen zone to remind him of the feeling of romance

Yeah, he was blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
He got down but he never got tight, but he's gonna make it tonight

Some silicone sister with her manager's mister told me I got what it takes
She said, "I'll turn you on, sonny, to something strong if you play that song with the funky break"
And Go-Cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart to see if it was safe to go outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in her curly-wurly and asked me if I needed a ride
Oh, some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer, playin' backyard bombardier
Yes, and Scotland Yard was trying hard, they sent some dude with a calling card, he said, "Do what you like, but don't do it here"
Well, I jumped up, turned around, spit in the air, fell on the ground and asked him which was the way back home
He said, "Take a right at the light, keep goin' straight until night, and then, boy, you're on your own"
And now in Zanzibar, a shootin' star was ridin' in a side car, hummin' a lunar tune
Yes, and the avatar said, "Blow the bar but first remove the cookie jar, we're gonna teach those boys to laugh too soon"
And some kidnapped handicap was complainin' that he caught the clap from some mousetrap he bought last night
Well, I unsnapped his skull cap and between his ears I saw a gap but figured he'd be all right

He was just blinded by the light
Blinded by the light
Mama always told me not to look into the sights of the sun
Oh, but Mama, that's where the fun is
I was blinded
I was blinded
I was blinded
which I always thought was some of the dumbest shit ever written on cocaine.
cool song, nicely produced, means nothing ....

and the way Bruce "sings" combined with the meatwad lyrics could only produce mis-quotes ....
:text-threadjacked:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

GamePlayer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:I don't recognize the new avatar, but the writing says something about "Public Restroom 45, Urinal 2". :shock:
They are made up characters, SC and there's no numbers there. They don't mean anything :)
My new avatar is fan art of Five Star Stories. I like them because they make for eye-catching avatars.
Baraka Bryan wrote:if you come on them, it will need to build a kleenex... :shock:
Wow, you must have REALLY had fun with those girls you met in Hamilton :)
:lol: