Wizard's list of the 25 greatest sci-fi shows ever

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

GamePlayer
70mm God

Re: Wizard's list of the 25 greatest sci-fi shows ever

Post by GamePlayer »

I might disagree with Doctor Who placing first on the list, but for better or worse the show has been a major staple of science fiction for the last 50 years. Excluding the Doctor Who franchise from the top 10 would be like excluding James Bond from the top 10 film franchises. Doctor Who, much like Star Trek over here, is the show people use as a benchmark to define "science fiction," right or wrong.

I will say I find it ironic some would hold Star Trek to a different standard than Doctor Who when both franchises are merely different flavours of the same decades-old cheese dog. Speaking as someone raised on North American television and as a well-known critic of Trek, that franchise hasn't been entertaining for decades until the release of this latest film. Yet even Star Trek, as much as I may despise most of it, deserves the top ten in a list like this (at least, the original series).
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Guilty pleasure territory. I can like something even if I know it's bad. :D

But don't expect me to defend it more than saying I like/d (to watch) it. I mean, unlike a certain of your more unsavory female compatriots, I have never ever considered joining a Doctor Who forum. I probably couldn't answer but a few of the most basic trivia questions. (What was the bint's name again?) Doctor Who is something I used to watch over dinner during high school summer vacations when I'd get home after working at my uncle's gas station. Unplug, unwind, relax, watch something unchallenging that also isn't as stupid as Happy Days. I honestly can't say that I've seen a single episode since. So a lot of it's probably nostalgia.

I've always liked Star Trek. Hell, I used to watch Voyager as bad as it was. I realize all these shows are shit science fiction. I'm not going to defend them, because they're not worth the effort. But I'm also not going to stop watching. ;)
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I can hardly stand British SF. TV shows that is. Its just so much cheap crap, to my eye. It relies too much on humor, the science is very faulty, the actors tend to yell too much, the women are more often haus frau quality, the aliens are improbable, the effects are cheeze, the cinematography is atrocious and the stories are dull and slow.

Not all mind you, but to me, most.

Dr Who is the chief offender. I never understood the draw of that show. I have never watched an episode that I liked, and Ive watched plenty (Ragabash loved it when we were growing up). I totally got why the UK imported so much American TV, especially SF.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:It relies too much on humor, the science is very faulty, the actors tend to yell too much, the women are more often haus frau quality, the aliens are improbable, the effects are cheeze, the cinematography is atrocious and the stories are dull and slow.
Yeah. AIN'T IT GRAND?! :lol:
(Ragabash loved it when we were growing up).
:lol:
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Eyes High wrote::oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have got to proof-read better.

it should have read... "The main thing...."

LOL But that was a good catch chig. :oops:
:lol:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:Guilty pleasure territory. I can like something even if I know it's bad. :D

I've always liked Star Trek. Hell, I used to watch Voyager as bad as it was. I realize all these shows are shit science fiction. I'm not going to defend them, because they're not worth the effort. But I'm also not going to stop watching. ;)
Everyone has their guilty pleasures. I still enjoy Macross, although it must be said Macross is far superior to both Doctor Who and Star Trek :dance:
And I feel the need to inform you that watching Voyager is inexcusable, even among Trek fans. :P
Omphalos wrote:I can hardly stand British SF. TV shows that is. Its just so much cheap crap, to my eye. It relies too much on humor, the science is very faulty, the actors tend to yell too much, the women are more often haus frau quality, the aliens are improbable, the effects are cheeze, the cinematography is atrocious and the stories are dull and slow.

Not all mind you, but to me, most.

Dr Who is the chief offender. I never understood the draw of that show. I have never watched an episode that I liked, and Ive watched plenty (Ragabash loved it when we were growing up). I totally got why the UK imported so much American TV, especially SF.
I guess it all depends upon the viewer. Setting aside the obvious differences in budget, I see very little distinction between the cheeses of "Who" and "Trek." I will grant you that the two both emit different stenches, but I'm just as repulsed by the smells. Trek is so brow-beating with it's messages and so soap-box preachy I half expected the Next Gen crew in catholic uniforms. All the shows rely too much upon technobabble that is so ridiculously inane, it insults even the layman. The bewildering array of nearly-identical-to-human sans forehead applique aliens, the coma-inducing meetings-at-a-table, the dead acting, the dry dialog, etc.

I'm not saying Doctor Who is any better than Star Trek (because it ain't) but to me they're both big steaming piles of pants (for the most part). Although I must say, I was interested in watching the 2005 Doctor Who series because Christopher Eccelston is da man :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

At last some-one (GP) mentioned that Dr. Who had zero budget, and you can't really blame the producers for making the FXs look like firecrackers when they could only afford firecrackers. Also it's a kids show so of course it's a bit smelly, what was the target audience for TS:TOS.

edit to add.
My comment re budget only refer to the old Dr. not this new pretty incarnation or 2 we've had since 2005ish.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I have not watched the new Dr. Who. Probably never will (watch one season, shame on you. Watch 47 seasons, shame on me. :wink: ), but I did watch a spin off episode recently. Something about a girl named Jane? Some old chick who was like on the show once in the thirties or something? It was absolutely horrible. A complete waste of my time. I don't even think I have bothered looking at the BBCA since then it was so damn bad.

And yes, inhuein. I actually got it: It had a low budget. But that was not my only complaint. If it were, I would likely have enjoyed it. Just tonight I watched all 2.5 hours of the BBC's Day of the Triffids. Loved it. Last week I watched the '79 PBS production of The Lathe of Heaven. Loved it. Cheap productions the both of them, but well scripted, well acted, and well plotted, and the science elements were not preposterous. That's really all I ask for. Can I please get an episode without droning Dalkes and aliens rubbery hands reaching out from off camera? Seemed not. :wink:
inhuien wrote:what was the target audience for TS:TOS.
Forward looking adults who were sick of the government being the bad guy, and who didn't mind a little miscegenation once in a while. It certainly was not kids. That came much, much later once TOS was in heavy syndication, and was something TNG turned its back on. Anyway, TOS was on too late in the evening. ST was about a utopia in progress; or rather the spreading of one from off Earth to a star empire. Where do you think Ian Banks got that idea? Leave the core-planet stories alone; set the action way out in space where bad things still happen.

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I think it's called Sarah Jane, did it have a cute robot dog.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

inhuien wrote:I think it's called Sarah Jane, did it have a cute robot dog.
That's it. Lame!

Goodnight Golden Path!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

The dog was lame, that's surely a shame. Yeah, Kids TV sucks.
trang

Post by trang »

late to the game here with my post so wont be super critical, all lists have faults, and who knows what the criteria was. I personnaly dont EVER include horror and Sci-fi in same category.. they are both fully separate and healhty Genre's.

that stated, I also believe it is a rule of thumb never to put a sequel ahead of the original.

Ones that dont belong on the list (Dark shadows, night gallery, deadzone) because are horror.

Supernatural, the 4400, Angel, V, Jekyll, Smallville and Highlander dont belong on the list this high.

Shows of all time list is out of order from here. Reordered remaining:

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
STOS
DR WHO
X Files
B5
Firefly
BSG
Quantum Leap
Lost
Buffy (good show just not a fan)
The Prisoner (never watched it but Guess was good)
Hulk
STTNG
RED DWARF

The above is not my list... and would add a shitload more above Quantum leap even.

Farscape, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Planet of the apes, Deep Space Nine,
Battle Star Galactica (Original), The Newer Outter Limits, on and on.

Again entertaining to read, dont agree with almost half, but fun to discuss:)
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Farscape, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, Land of the Giants, Planet of the apes, Deep Space Nine, Battle Star Galactica (Original), The Newer Outter Limits, on and on.
:clap: Indeed...

Note to Wizard : Some great shows were also made before the 90's...
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

And where the hell was Space: 1999?

Or this one? I'd take either over Dr. Who.

Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

Spicelon wrote:And where the hell was Space: 1999?

Those are probably my favourite spacecraft ever. :)
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I loved Space: 1999, I was very young and hardly remember it.

I did have a toy of that spaceship, it was like three feet long, HUGE to a little kid.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

DuneFishUK wrote:
Spicelon wrote:And where the hell was Space: 1999?

Those are probably my favourite spacecraft ever. :)
I absolutely loved those ships. The Eagles were the best part of the whole series. I wish it had been a better program though.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Went downhill somewhat after the second season "reboot" with the unexplained new sets and the advent of Maya the Metamorph and departure of Barry Morse (the doctor with the artificial heart). But I still liked it. :D
trang

Post by trang »

Space 1999 ...HELL YA
Logan's Run the TV series.... HELL YA
Buck Rogers........HELL HELL YA

DR. Who I like, but grew up with Tom Baker as the Dr. The others never took a shine to. Then new series I have seen thru season 3. I like the first season DR. the best, but over all ok.

I would even add STAR TREK THE ANIMATED Series to the list.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandChigger wrote:Went downhill somewhat after the second season "reboot" with the unexplained new sets and the advent of Maya the Metamorph and departure of Barry Morse (the doctor with the artificial heart). But I still liked it. :D
I liked Maya...very hot,too... :wink: