Wizard's list of the 25 greatest sci-fi shows ever

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

cmsahe

Wizard's list of the 25 greatest sci-fi shows ever

Post by cmsahe »

Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
inhuien

Re: Wizard's list of the 25 greatest sci-fi shows ever

Post by inhuien »

No Farscape (yeah, I know, get over it you bouncy yellotwat), the Dwarf only rated 24 and a bunch of horror/fantasy shite that had no right, no right I tell you being there. But apart from that a great read if you've the time to load the 6 pages.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

What...no Time Tunnel ?! Lost in Space ?!

Seriously...Buffy ?!

:naughty:
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sometimes I wonder who makes those lists and what were they smoking when the did?

I know I didn't watch it that much, but what in the world about Buffy could classify it as Science-Fiction much less grant it a postion in the top 5? Vampire, withches, and werewolves cry FANTASY to me.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Fuck Wizard Entertainment. They were so successful as a magazine publisher that they're producing three fewer magazines than they were two years ago. And Wizard itself has become a big joke.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

TheDukester wrote:Fuck Wizard Entertainment. They were so successful as a magazine publisher that they're producing three fewer magazines than they were two years ago. And Wizard itself has become a big joke.
QFT
Schu

Post by Schu »

Eyes High wrote:Sometimes I wonder who makes those lists and what were they smoking when the did?

I know I didn't watch it that much, but what in the world about Buffy could classify it as Science-Fiction much less grant it a postion in the top 5? Vampire, withches, and werewolves cry FANTASY to me.
Indeed, half of the stuff in the list is not sci-fi. Much as I like Buffy, it is not sci-fi.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I'm going to follow the link and read it, but if I see "Heroes" listed anywhere on their feature, I'm going to scream bloody murder :)

EDIT: Okay, Wizard avoided the landmine that is Heroes, but the list leaves much to be desired. What the hell is Supernatural even doing on a top 25 list? Star Trek TOS and X-Files rating below Lost? Buffy trumping BSG, as a "sci-fi" show? This list is proper fucked :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm going to follow the link and read it, but if I see "Heroes" listed anywhere on their feature, I'm going to scream bloody murder :)

EDIT: Okay, Wizard avoided the landmine that is Heroes, but the list leaves much to be desired. What the hell is Supernatural even doing on a top 25 list? Star Trek TOS and X-Files rating below Lost? Buffy trumping BSG, as a "sci-fi" show? This list is proper fucked :)
Yeah, it looks as if it was made by Sloey or something...
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

They're fucking clueless as to what sci-fi even is. 'effin comic book morons.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Rakis wrote:Yeah, it looks as if it was made by Sloey or something...
Speaking of Sloey, whenever I see a DVD for Quantum of Solace I cannot help but think Quandry of Sloeys.

Although I do like some of the shows on the list, it definitely did not seem like a Top 25 list.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

I disagree with the list, Wizard Magazine does not know what Science-Fiction is, a writing on the future development of mankind, with the impact of technology and new developments and how these can create an Utopia or a distopia. (my definition, feel free to answer with yours but do not flame me nor...whatever) Buffy the vampire slayer? They should have included I dream of Genie then! (and Dallas :) ) And if they included Buffy what about Forever Knight? The best vampires tv series ever (a copy of the universe created by Anne Rice set in current day, 1996, Toronto)

----
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

cmsahe wrote:I disagree with the list, Wizard Magazine does not know what Science-Fiction is, a writing on the future development of mankind, with the impact of technology and new developments and how these can create an Utopia or a distopia. (my definition, feel free to answer with yours but do not flame me nor...whatever) Buffy the vampire slayer? They should have included I dream of Genie then! (and Dallas :) ) And if they included Buffy what about Forever Knight? The best vampires tv series ever (a copy of the universe created by Anne Rice set in current day, 1996, Toronto)
:handgestures-thumbupright:
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

Oh fucking hell, WTF?!?! Dr. Who?!?! Must be from a Brit rag. That right there invalidates this list. Buffy being on it is a pretty big stretch. BSG and X-Files in the top 2, EASY, flip flop them however you want. And ST:TNG is not a top 10. This list sucks ass.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ahem: soiled ass. That tastes of dirt. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Spicelon wrote:Oh fucking hell, WTF?!?! Dr. Who?!?! Must be from a Brit rag. That right there invalidates this list. Buffy being on it is a pretty big stretch. BSG and X-Files in the top 2, EASY, flip flop them however you want. And ST:TNG is not a top 10. This list sucks ass.
C'mom! Doctor Who is the best science fiction ever, IMO, they are not including it only, because of its latest incarnation (#10 David Tennant) but because of the legacy and myth created during the golden years of Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton & William Hartnell.

----
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Doctor Who does not translate well for many, many North Americans. Never has; never will. There seems to be a certain ... British-ness ... to it that renders it mostly a bore once it travels across the ocean.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

cmsahe wrote:
Spicelon wrote:Oh fucking hell, WTF?!?! Dr. Who?!?! Must be from a Brit rag. That right there invalidates this list. Buffy being on it is a pretty big stretch. BSG and X-Files in the top 2, EASY, flip flop them however you want. And ST:TNG is not a top 10. This list sucks ass.
C'mom! Doctor Who is the best science fiction ever, IMO, they are not including it only, because of its latest incarnation (#10 David Tennant) but because of the legacy and myth created during the golden years of Tom Baker, Jon Pertwee, Patrick Troughton & William Hartnell.
The older incarnation was even worse!! ST:TOS makes Dr. Who look like a Saturday morning cartoon. Puh-lease.

If a Yankee made this list, it'd probably crack the top 20, but that's about it.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

TheDukester wrote:Doctor Who does not translate well for many, many North Americans. Never has; never will. There seems to be a certain ... British-ness ... to it that renders it mostly a bore once it travels across the ocean.
All of us, in the rest of the World have endured the american culture for decades now, it's always welcomed to have the opportunity to watch tv from another country, besides I love the british accent and the britishness of their tv series. BBC is a synonym for quality. (Also, australian children's television has become popular here in Mexico)

----
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Endured? Oh, give me a fucking break. :roll:

As for Dr. Who, I always rather liked it, watched it on PBS.

Of course, I loved Monthy Python and Dave Allen, sometimes giggled at Benny Hill, have always been rather a bit of an Anglophile, so grain of salt time. :D
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I love me some non-American TV (i.e. Brit TV). Monty Python is brilliant. Fawlty Towers even better. Planet Earth. I Claudius. Absolutely Fabulous. Kids in the Hall (a nod to our Canadian mates). The Office. But Dr. Who? No sir, no thanks.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

yeah, I wouldn't say Dr. Who sucks soiled ass because of it's Britishness,
it's mainly a fooking stoopid premise, weak writing, bad acting, and altho
I'm sure the new ones have better FX, the old ones with dwarves in furry
alien costumes stumbling around a tiny sound stage was more Benny Hill Funny
than serious TV sci-fi w/ a message ....

and the phone booth was kinda neat, 40 years ago ....
now it seems kinda Retardis ....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Well to each his own. I admit I like Dr. Who a bit. Even though I don't watch it as much as I use to. But I also liked other 'British' shows, i.e. Benny Hill, Monty Python, Are You Being Served?, and so forth.

The man thing I have against the list was not even the fact that some of the shows listed I had never even heard of, but they had shows on there that was not (IMO) anywhere close to be in the Sci-Fi genre.

I know there are many people have begun to lump Sci-Fi and Fantasy together, but not me. Even though I enjoy both and there are books out there that combine the two very well, they are (to me at least) two seperate catagories. Why include a fantasy show on a sci-fi list?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Eyes High wrote:I know there are many people have begun to lump Sci-Fi and Fantasy together
Yep. And there's a major source of the problem.

On the self-promo commercials they show on SciFi Channel Japan, they explicitly mention fantasy as part of their subject area, so it's not just a problem in North America. :(

(Now ... do we want to hear more about this "man thing" you have? :P )
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have got to proof-read better.

it should have read... "The main thing...."

LOL But that was a good catch chig. :oops: