How do Tolkien readers receive news of "new" books?

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

cmsahe

How do Tolkien readers receive news of "new" books?

Post by cmsahe »

I read about this today in the newspaper; Christopher Tolkien warned that this book could be dissapointing to many of J.R.R Tolkien readers:
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun.

From the link pasted below, this paragraph liked me: "important questions had to be answered. ``Is it complete? Is it coherent? Is it good enough? He doesn't publish books for commercial reasons. It's all about adding to the reputation of his father.''"
http://www.canada.com/Beyond+Middle+Ear ... story.html
Last edited by cmsahe on 07 May 2009 02:08, edited 1 time in total.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: How do Tolkien reader receive news of "new" books?

Post by Eyes High »

Thanks for the link. I hope you don't mind but I copied and put your post up over at Worm's Sci-Fi Haven. I gave you full credit for the link.

I don't think this will be a repeat of what KJA is doing. This sounds like they are truly trying to honour the memory of Tolkien
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
cmsahe

Re: How do Tolkien reader receive news of "new" books?

Post by cmsahe »

Thank you Eyes :)
Eyes High wrote:Thanks for the link. I hope you don't mind but I copied and put your post up over at Worm's Sci-Fi Haven. I gave you full credit for the link.

I don't think this will be a repeat of what KJA is doing. This sounds like they are truly trying to honour the memory of Tolkien

----
Schu

Re: How do Tolkien readers receive news of "new" books?

Post by Schu »

Most Tolkien fans probably wouldn't read it anyway - most "Tolkien" fans are really "Middle-Earth" fans, i.e. they like LoTR, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, everything in that universe, and most of them don't care about norse myths or anything else Tolkien worked on. Many do though. I love Tolkien but as far as myths go, I only have a little interest in norse myths, being more into the greek ones.

Christopher Tolkien is the model of what a writer should do with his father's literary standing. Awesome man. I've never been disappointed by ANYTHING he has done.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Schu wrote:Christopher Tolkien is the model of what a writer should do with his father's literary standing. Awesome man. I've never been disappointed by ANYTHING he has done.
That's always been my take on it as well, but I'm very much an outsider having only read a little of The Silmarillion.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

A coworker just bought that book. I don't think it really applies to our situation as it has nothing to do with TLotR.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Schu

Post by Schu »

Freakzilla wrote:A coworker just bought that book. I don't think it really applies to our situation as it has nothing to do with TLotR.
It is, however, another example of a son doing things with his father's work (and in this case, as far as I've found, a good job!)
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Schu wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:A coworker just bought that book. I don't think it really applies to our situation as it has nothing to do with TLotR.
It is, however, another example of a son doing things with his father's work (and in this case, as far as I've found, a good job!)
I talked with my co-worker about this, he thinks the Brittish have more respect for the legacy of their elders. That's a very generalized statement but I don't think it gives enough credit to Chris Tolkien.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Let us not forget that Tolkien left a huge archive of notes and world history for his son to utilise, a mountain compaired to want Frank left, iirc.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:Let us not forget that Tolkien left a huge archive of notes and world history for his son to utilise, a mountain compaired to want Frank left, iirc.
Please, there's tons of stuff at Fullerton and they claim to have found boxes with reams of notes in Brian's garage (even if it's a lie).

If they were truthfull they could have given FH's legacy the C. Tolkien treatment.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
inhuien wrote:Let us not forget that Tolkien left a huge archive of notes and world history for his son to utilise, a mountain compaired to want Frank left, iirc.
Please, there's tons of stuff at Fullerton and they claim to have found boxes with reams of notes in Brian's garage (even if it's a lie).

If they were truthfull they could have given FH's legacy the C. Tolkien treatment.
RAmen...
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

who is Tolkien ?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:who is Tolkien ?
:shock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._R._R._Tolkien
~Pink Snowman
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Freakzilla wrote:If they were truthfull they could have given FH's legacy the C. Tolkien treatment.
Too right.

Instead we get Road to Dune, which is completely ruined by the terrible "writing" from Bobo and The Hack. That "Seas of Caladan" (or whatever; I don't really care) is the lamest short story I've ever read.

And that looks like it's going to be it, forever. That's what happens when a family of idiots turns everything over to a money-grubbing hack.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

With The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun, important questions had to be answered. ``Is it complete? Is it coherent? Is it good enough? He doesn't publish books for commercial reasons. It's all about adding to the reputation of his father.''

This makes me jealous of the Tolkien franchise. How did Dune end up in the wrong hands?
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

TheDukester wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:If they were truthfull they could have given FH's legacy the C. Tolkien treatment.
Too right.

Instead we get Road to Dune, which is completely ruined by the terrible "writing" from Bobo and The Hack. That "Seas of Caladan" (or whatever; I don't really care) is the lamest short story I've ever read.

And that looks like it's going to be it, forever. That's what happens when a family of idiots turns everything over to a money-grubbing hack.
Last year at Dragon-Con, I got Keith to sign my copy of RtD and took the opportunity to ask if there was any chance of putting out another RtD type book, possibly with the "Outline" included. He said, everything of interest was put into RtD.

Anyone have any interest in seeing more of FH's notes/outline?

I would have even paid for another RtD. I still haven't read their "Spice Planet" crap.
~Pink Snowman
Schu

Post by Schu »

Drunken Idaho wrote:How did Dune end up in the wrong hands?
Must be the levelling drift...
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Freakzilla wrote:Anyone have any interest in seeing more of FH's notes/outline?
Durrrr, nope... :roll:

Hell yes, I would be interested in that. I would pour over them with a constant chubby. It would be hard to tell which bits to take seriously, and which bits might have been ideas that he had scrapped (even just in his head). Maybe most of it probably wouldn't make much sense at all. I know that when I go back and look at notes I have taken, even I have a hard time figuring out what the hell I meant.

And I gotta say Freak, if I ever saw KJA in person, I would find the urge to publicly insult him very difficult to resist. Also, anyone care to enlighten me as to why we call him Keith?
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

You guys did not get my joke huh... I know who he is, but to me, who is he?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Drunken Idaho wrote:And I gotta say Freak, if I ever saw KJA in person, I would find the urge to publicly insult him very difficult to resist.
I had my six-year-old son with me, I didn't want him to see daddy get arrested or anything like that.
Also, anyone care to enlighten me as to why we call him Keith?
Dissrespect?
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

What better reason do you need? :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Heh, well I assumed that much... I just figured someone must have started it in some funny way. Oh well, no funny story for me...
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

"Bonzo for Barsoom" Bob the Mad Martian Astronomer kept calling him "Keith" in his posts on DN and Amazon, etc etc.

No one knows why. :shock:

(I figure he threw a clot during his heart bypass and it lodged in his brain. Just a pet theory. :P )

And as to why Dune fell into the wrong hands: yeah, leveling. Brains and talent rarely breed true. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SandChigger wrote:"Bonzo for Barsoom" Bob the Mad Martian Astronomer kept calling him "Keith" in his posts on DN and Amazon, etc etc.

No one knows why. :shock:

(I figure he threw a clot during his heart bypass and it lodged in his brain. Just a pet theory. :P )

And as to why Dune fell into the wrong hands: yeah, leveling. Brains and talent rarely breed true. ;)
I knew it started somewhere but couldn't remember, thanks! :lol:
~Pink Snowman
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Drunken Idaho wrote: This makes me jealous of the Tolkien franchise. How did Dune end up in the wrong hands?

"God created Kevin J. Anderson to train the faithful."

:doh:

----