Man suing NOPD over wearing kilt in court

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Man suing NOPD over wearing kilt in court

Post by Freakzilla »

Man suing NOPD after officer threatens to arrest him for wearing a skirt

by Gwen Filosa, The Times-Picayune Tuesday May 05, 2009, 9:00 AM

Jeremy Don Kerr enjoys wearing a skirt in public. And he wants a federal court to ensure that a man can do so in peace.

Kerr has sued the New Orleans Police Department in U.S. District Court over a May 2008 incident in which he says a uniformed officer threatened to arrest him for wearing a black pinstriped skirt, hemmed two inches above the knee, instead of pants to Municipal Court.

"He followed me out of the courtroom yelling at me, he grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me around, " Kerr said Monday. "He had no right to ask me that question. You couldn't ask a woman, 'Why are you wearing pants?' "

In a civil-rights lawsuit filed last month, Kerr describes himself as "a heterosexual male of Scottish ancestry" who was made a victim of discrimination by his choice of attire.

He seeks a declaratory judgment saying that NOPD violated his rights and $1 in damages, along with court fees.

In addition, Kerr wants U.S. District Court Judge Helen Berrigan to bar the NOPD from prohibiting anyone in the city "unfettered access to public facilities because of sex discrimination that is based on gender stereotyping."

Officer Glen Tate demanded that Kerr explain why he was in a skirt, Kerr says, asking at one point if he was a woman.

"He said, 'Are you going to make me arrest you and find out?' " Kerr recalled. "He threatened to take me out of the courthouse and put me in Orleans Parish Prison over a simple choice of attire."

The NOPD hasn't been served with the lawsuit and hasn't answered the claim in court.

Kerr, 37, a native of Lake Charles, left a college teaching career in the Midwest to return to New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina struck in 2005. He earned a doctorate in sociology, with a focus on criminology, at the University of Kentucky.

Kerr began wearing skirts in 2003 after a friend suggested he'd look as if he were in a kilt. He prefers a skirt when dancing at clubs along Frenchmen Street or strolling New Orleans neighborhoods. He finds skirts more comfortable than pants, and wears them with button-down oxfords or T-shirts.

Kerr wore a skirt to the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival. "The comments are overwhelmingly positive, " he said. "Women love it, people of all ages and all races love it across the board."

He wears pants for his job selling scooters and motorbikes, he said. He has been kicked out of restaurants and barred from bars over his clothing choice, which he points out is a practice that began thousands of years ago.

The New York and Paris runways in January featured men in skirts, dressed by designers Jean Paul Gaultier and Marc Jacobs.

"I'm a straight man, " Kerr said. "A lot of people seem to believe if I'm in a skirt it must mean that I'm gay. It's a choice in clothing style. One hundred years ago women could only wear dresses and skirts, and men could only wear pants."

Kerr's alleged clash with the officer took place at Municipal Court on May 5, 2008, the suit says, when Kerr was appearing on a misdemeanor charge of disturbing the peace. The case was later dropped but required a second trip to the courthouse, Kerr said.

This time, Kerr wore pants in case he ran into Tate. "I was scared, " Kerr said. "He was there."

. . . . . . .

Gwen Filosa can be reached at gfilosa@timespicayune.com or 504.826.3304.

http://www.nola.com/news/index.ssf/2009 ... _sues.html
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Re: Man suing NOPD over wearing kilt in court

Post by Rakis »

:lol:

They may take away our kilt, but they can't they away our freeeedooommm !!!

Wait...they can...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think you should only be arrested if its a sassy skirt. if its dowdy, then it should be OK, even for court. At least that's my experience. Rob?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

If people can wear Star Trek uniforms in court, you can't tell me a kilt is out of the question :)
Last edited by GamePlayer on 06 May 2009 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Now it's only a matter of time before a cop shoots someone in the face for wearing a kilt... Then we'll pull out our aces... which will be easier to do in a kilt.

:wink:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:If people can wear Star Trek uniforms in court, you can't tell me a kilt is out of the question :)
it obviously depends on the jurisdiction. :lol:

Goodnight Golden Path!
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

You'd think that of all places, New Orleans would be pretty free thinking. Just goes to show, there's dickhead cops no matter where you go.
~Pink Snowman
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

"I fought the law and the law won" :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote: there's dickhead cops no matter where you go.
QFT
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
nymphitz

Post by nymphitz »

Wow, terrible!
People can be so close-minded. It's disgusting.
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

nymphitz wrote:Wow, terrible!
People can be so close-minded. It's disgusting.
uR pRrettY
nymphitz

Post by nymphitz »

:?
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

One of the suburbs of Denver has kilted cops on segways for events as I recall.

As for court, well the last time I visited one (Placerville, 2003, a friend was the court reporter) they had a dress code. Basically it was designed ot prevent outrageous garment wearing so as not to cause distractions. Now if he was there for reasons oher than to view the proceedings it shouldn't matter.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Robspierre wrote:One of the suburbs of Denver has kilted cops on segways for events as I recall.

As for court, well the last time I visited one (Placerville, 2003, a friend was the court reporter) they had a dress code. Basically it was designed ot prevent outrageous garment wearing so as not to cause distractions. Now if he was there for reasons oher than to view the proceedings it shouldn't matter.

Rob
Placerville, CA? Ive spent a ton of time in that courtroom. Its archaic.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

nymphitz wrote::?
I had to :evil:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

Freakzilla wrote:You'd think that of all places, New Orleans would be pretty free thinking. Just goes to show, there's dickhead cops no matter where you go.

that's the first thing I thought.
I done seen some weird shit in N'orlins....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:
Robspierre wrote:One of the suburbs of Denver has kilted cops on segways for events as I recall.

Rob
Placerville, CA? Ive spent a ton of time in that courtroom. Its archaic.

My friends husband had a great relationship with the deputies who did the metal detectors, they always spent five minutes bullshitting about where they hid the torpedos and suitcase nukes before letting us in.

Rob