South Korea Engineers Glow Dogs

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

South Korea Engineers Glow Dogs

Post by Freakzilla »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090428/ap_ ... loned_dogs

SKorean experts claim to have cloned glowing dogs

By HYUNG-JIN KIM, Associated Press Writer Hyung-jin Kim, Associated Press Writer – Tue Apr 28, 10:27 am ET

SEOUL, South Korea – South Korean scientists say they have engineered four beagles that glow red using cloning techniques that could help develop cures for human diseases.

The four dogs, all named "Ruppy" — a combination of the words "ruby" and "puppy" — look like typical beagles by daylight. But they glow red under ultraviolet light, and the dogs' nails and abdomens, which have thin skins, look red even to the naked eye.

Seoul National University professor Lee Byeong-chun, head of the research team, called them the world's first transgenic dogs carrying fluorescent genes, an achievement that goes beyond just the glowing novelty.

"What's significant in this work is not the dogs expressing red colors but that we planted genes into them," Lee told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

His team identified the dogs as clones of a cell donor through DNA tests and earlier this month introduced the achievement in a paper on the Web site of the journal "Genesis."

Scientists in the U.S., Japan and in Europe previously have cloned fluorescent mice and pigs, but this would be the first time dogs with modified genes have been cloned successfully, Lee said.

He said his team took skin cells from a beagle, inserted fluorescent genes into them and put them into eggs before implanting them into the womb of a surrogate mother, a local mixed breed.

Six female beagles were born in December 2007 through a cloning with a gene that produces a red fluorescent protein that make them glow, he said. Two died, but the four others survived.

The glowing dogs show that it is possible to successfully insert genes with a specific trait, which could lead to implanting other, non-fluorescent genes that could help treat specific diseases, Lee said.

The scientist said his team has started to implant human disease-related genes in the course of dog cloning, saying that will help them find new treatments for genetic diseases such as Parkinson's. He refused to provide further details, saying the research was still under way.

A South Korean scientist who created glowing cats in 2007 based on a similar cloning technique said that Lee's puppies are genuine clones, saying he had seen them and had read about them in the journal.

"We can appraise this is a step forward" toward finding cures for human diseases, said veterinary professor Kong Il-keun at South Korea's Gyeongsang National University. "What is important now is on what specific diseases (Lee's team) will focus on."

Lee was a key aide to disgraced scientist Hwang Woo-suk, whose breakthroughs on stem cell research were found to have been made using faked data. Independent tests, however, later proved the team's dog cloning was genuine.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandRider
Watermaster

Re: South Korea Engineers Glow Dogs

Post by SandRider »

gots to get me some of them .....

cain't tell you how many damn beagles I done lost at night
in the woods huntin coons....
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I think you have to bend them in half then shake them before they glow.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

And then ya gots ta toss them.

Like midgets.

Yeah.... :twisted:

(Why are there two threads of this news? :? )
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

I can see the next thing after tattoos and piercings : Glowing implants under the skins... :roll:
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I've seen alot of UV plastic nipple-piercings in tittie bars recently.
Neat effect, reminds me of the early 70s somehow when the blacklights first showed up,
and the girls would use UV body paint.

I understand they make UV ink for tattoos that are invisible in normal light;
one kid was telling me about somebody getting batwings on his face ....

Rakis could very well be on to something - worth looking into, get ahead
of the trend - something else for tat parlors to offer. AToE, what do you think ?
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SandRider wrote:I've seen alot of UV plastic nipple-piercings in tittie bars recently.
Neat effect, reminds me of the early 70s somehow when the blacklights first showed up,

of the trend - something else for tat parlors to offer. AToE, what do you think ?
I'm willing to share the copyright...let's call it the Texan lumineux... :lol:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

SandRider wrote:I've seen alot of UV plastic nipple-piercings in tittie bars recently.

The UV ink is almost invisible in normal light, you can see it if you look closely though. I know a few people who have it. There is also ink that literally glows in the dark, but it is totally visible in reg light, and might be carcinogenic (more so than regular ink).

As for the glowing implants, I actually had that idea years ago, but it would be LEDs implanted under the skin, powered by a pacemaker battery. My idea was that you would get 2 different colours implanted, and then it would fade between the two in time with your heart rate. To conserve power, there would also be two implanted switches (button style), that would have to be pressed at once (to prevent accidental turning on and off, they would be spaced as far appart as is reasonable) to turn the whole thing on and off.

Coolest fucking idea ever or what? :)
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

A Thing of Eternity wrote:

The UV ink is almost invisible in normal light, you can see it if you look closely though. I know a few people who have it. There is also ink that literally glows in the dark, but it is totally visible in reg light, and might be carcinogenic (more so than regular ink).

As for the glowing implants, I actually had that idea years ago, but it would be LEDs implanted under the skin, powered by a pacemaker battery. My idea was that you would get 2 different colours implanted, and then it would fade between the two in time with your heart rate. To conserve power, there would also be two implanted switches (button style), that would have to be pressed at once (to prevent accidental turning on and off, they would be spaced as far appart as is reasonable) to turn the whole thing on and off.

Sounds a bit Borg-ish... :think:

I like it a lot... :dance:

Add a digital clock and an MP3 connection and there's millions to be made... :lol:
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Rakis wrote:
A Thing of Eternity wrote:

Sounds a bit Borg-ish... :think:

I like it a lot... :dance:

Add a digital clock and an MP3 connection and there's millions to be made... :lol:
Hmmmmm...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

don't for get the cup holders.

How much longer before we have designed a chair dog?

Goodnight Golden Path!
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Omphalos wrote:
Not before we settle some ethical issues first... :naughty:

Is there any real description in the books as to what it is really made of? :|
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Baraka Bryan wrote:the chairdogs in the Consentiency universe seem much more sentient than those from the Duniverse. is a dog used as furniture any different than a dog used as a pet, if it enjoys its role in giving comfort to the owner?
Hmmm...good point...I guess you would still have laws protecting them...

Who made the chairdogs in Dune? IX? The Tlelaxu?
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Chairdogs are biological so presumably the Bene Tleilax engineered them. I guess Ix and the Tleilaxu should have teamed up more often and perhaps we would have some mention of the above ideas (skin mp3 players etc).
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

SadisticCynic wrote:Chairdogs are biological so presumably the Bene Tleilax engineered them. I guess Ix and the Tleilaxu should have teamed up more often and perhaps we would have some mention of the above ideas (skin mp3 players etc).
It does sound kewl... :mrgreen:

Skin MP3 player...Time to touch yourself for another pleasure... :lol:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Rakis wrote:
Omphalos wrote:
Not before we settle some ethical issues first... :naughty:

Is there any real description in the books as to what it is really made of? :|
I pulled some quotes off once for a response to some question on another board. Here is what I found. It seems they actually are engineered dogs.
Omphalos wrote:They were alive, alright. I remember one scene where Darwi (I think it was her) had to settle the dog she was sitting in. Or maybe it was Teg. I can't be sure, its been so long since I read those last two books.

OK. I went and checked. It was Taraza:
Taraza sat back and waited for the chairdog to adjust itself to the new
position. She rested her clasped hands on the tabletop and looked up at the
younger woman.
And Teg did not like them:
Teg's dislike of chairdogs and other living furniture was well known.
And whatever they look like, the fit themselves to you:
Taraza took her own drink to a chairdog opposite him, a fluffy white bit of animate furniture that fitted itself to her with the ease of long familiarity.
All the above quotes are from Heretics. In Chapterhouse Bellonda has one too:
At the corner table near the windows reserved for her, she deliberately moved the chairs. Bell's brown chairdog pulsed faintly at this unaccustomed disturbance.
They could also make noise:
"What?" Bellonda whirled in her chairdog, causing it to squeak with indignation.
And apparently they still ate:
Chairdogs required sustenance and expensive staff.
So I guess that they took the occasional dump, no?

I always imagined them more bean-bag-ish than this:

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

A chairdog? That is a really interesting idea. Gotta love Herbert.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

GamePlayer wrote:A chairdog? That is a really interesting idea. Gotta love Herbert.
I always thought that if Geiger did the Dune movies he would have a great place to start off with the chair dogs, and their existence would lend some credence to his vision of static items infused with biological appearances.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Omphalos wrote:I always imagined them more bean-bag-ish
Me, too.

No fricking way I would ever sit on something that looked like that thing in the illustration. Sheesh. :shock:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Didn't Bellonda's chairdog groan when she sat in it? I think she took some sadistic pleasure in it, too.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, that was quoted above: "What?" Bellonda whirled in her chairdog, causing it to squeak with indignation. :lol:

Sat on the chairdoggy and made it cry... I can understand that motivation. You see a cute puppy (or puppy-like thing?) and just want to sit on it or reach out and fetch it a healthy smack. :twisted:
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Issues! :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Puppies!