The Hunt For Gollum

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Re: The Hunt For Gollum

Post by SwordMaster »

SandChigger wrote:(Krill? :P )

KRULL!!! :lol:

SwordMaster nailed it with the last bit there: turning a person into an animal is MAGIC. No way that can ever be science fiction.

(FH was turning a man into a giant worm, but he did it slowly and it was never described as anything but a physical, biological process of symbiosis/hybridization. Contrast that with the ugly dwarf princess Norma in the McDune fantasies who somehow rebuilds a body from the cloud of vaporized plasma that used to be her old body. There's no hint of an explanation of how that would even be possible ... no mention of plausible physical process. It's MAGIC! :roll: )
Yeah well said. Norma is the wizzard of McDune. Poof! Im a time oracle!

Also with the worm tramformation, Leto never becomes 100% worm or 100% human, something in between and also guild navigators were MUTATED through the spice gas, over time. Did FH ever even write anything about time travel or minipulating the time line... like ever?
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Nobody violated causality, the only manipulation of Time was with the future.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Against this, Leto held the multi-thread reins, balanced in his own visionlighted
view of time as multilinear and multilooped. He was the sighted man in
the universe of the blind. Only he could scatter the orderly rationale because
his father no longer held the reins. In Leto's view, a son had altered the past.
And a thought as yet undreamed in the farthest future could reflect upon the now
and move his hand.

~Children of Dune
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

SadisticCynic wrote:Nobody violated causality, the only manipulation of Time was with the future.
I should have asked did FH ever fool about with the concept of time travel?

I think it is no
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:Against this, Leto held the multi-thread reins, balanced in his own visionlighted
view of time as multilinear and multilooped. He was the sighted man in
the universe of the blind. Only he could scatter the orderly rationale because
his father no longer held the reins. In Leto's view, a son had altered the past.
And a thought as yet undreamed in the farthest future could reflect upon the now
and move his hand.

~Children of Dune
That's a difficult one to unravel. Especially In Leto's view, a son had altered the past.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Yeah, you can say that it's relative.

It's difficult to think of this in non-linear terms. Per FH, there is no seperation of past-present-future. One changes and they all change.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:Yeah, you can say that it's relative.

It's difficult to think of this in non-linear terms. Per FH, there is no seperation of past-present-future. One changes and they all change.
Hmm, this sounds like what we've said in the Limits of Logic thread, about the foundation changing. Interesting.

Also, its hard to think about anything in non-linear terms, I imagine that's why its called chaos theory :wink: .
trang

Post by trang »

I watched yesterday.. for a fan fiction film.. was good. As for some of other folks lack of interest in fantasy.. can understand, but I enjoy it also.

Could list a whole bunch to wet your pallets. I actually never read earthsea. Some of my favorites:

Dave Eddings works: The Belgariad , The Mallorian, The Tamuli, The Ellinium. All three or five books per.

Stephen R. Donaldson, The Chronicles of Thomas Covenent.

Robert Silverberg, Lord Valentines Castle

Frietz Leiber, Fahfred and Grey Mouser

Roger Zelazney, Chronicles of Amber

Robert Howerd, Conan stories
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I once tried the Thomas Covenant books; I couldn't get past the first one. I'm afraid they simply bored me.
Apjak

Post by Apjak »

SandChigger wrote:
SwordMaster nailed it with the last bit there: turning a person into an animal is MAGIC. No way that can ever be science fiction.

Never say never ever. It isn't science, much less science fiction to ever state a universal negative.
I don't think the author should make the reader do that much work - Kevin J. Anderson
We think we've updated 'Dune' for a modern readership without dumbing it down.- Brian Herbert
There’s an unwritten compact between you and the reader. If someone enters a bookstore and sets down hard earned money(energy) for your book, you owe that person some entertainment and as much more as you can give. - Frank Herbert
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Just watched the film and I thought it was quite well done for a fan film. Few inconsistancies here and there but overall I liked it.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Little bit from NPR about the release. But it's a bit old.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/med ... =103675964

Enjoy.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."