The Music Suggestion Thread

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Eyes High
Patience Personified

Re: The Music Suggestion Thread

Post by Eyes High »

GamePlayer wrote:I'm going off the beaten path to recommend a few "hidden gems" from obscure sources or indie artists. I'm testing the waters here at Jacurutu, so please reply with your thoughts :)

Tank! (by Yoko Kanno - the theme for Cowboy Bebop, 1998)

Legacy (by The Gone Jackals - the theme for Full Throttle, 1995)

(for BB)
Almost Crimes (by Broken Social Scene)

That first one reminded me of some of the old shows like "The Avengers" and the other secrect agent shows that were popular before I was born. I liked the music from the first two. Not for sure about that third one. I'll have to give it a couple more listening to be able to give an honest opinion.
What fear is there in the night?
Nothing, but that which is in our own imaginations.
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Sorry for the double post (kind of) but I just came across this song. Listened to it a couple of times and the more I listened the more I liked it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NofIHFV8S5g Her Eyes by Pat Monahan. Can't recall if I've ever heard anything by him before. The title caught my eye. :mrgreen:

edited to correct a stupid mistake
Last edited by Eyes High on 30 Apr 2009 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Baraka Bryan wrote::text-goodpost:
good songs :P
Ah, a fellow with good taste :)
Thanks BB. Now it's your turn.
Eyes High wrote:
GamePlayer wrote:I'm going off the beaten path to recommend a few "hidden gems" from obscure sources or indie artists. I'm testing the waters here at Jacurutu, so please reply with your thoughts :)

(for BB)
That first one reminded me of some of the old shows like "The Avengers" and the other secrect agent shows that were popular before I was born. I liked the music from the first two. Not for sure about that third one. I'll have to give it a couple more listening to be able to give an honest opinion.
Some Broken Social Scene songs definitely take effort to access, so you have to give them a few tries. I really like those albums and bands with songs that aren't immediately likable. Nine times out of ten, that kind of music means the artists are onto something great. Radiohead, Broken Social Scene, Bloc Party and similar bands are like that; hidden gems. But that's just my opinion :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

I had a hard time seeing you in the last video :)

That live, acoustic performance of Gimme Sympathy was fantastic. Metric sounds great live. That studio is just a few blocks away from where I work :)
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Hmm... I've never been to shows before (never had the chance) but if I was to think of a mosh pit song I'd be thinking along the lines of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snHHioLgd4

Eldest lord of impenetrable blackness
Death god of Memphis

Just doesn't get much more epic than that. :music-deathmetal:
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

We need a mosh-pit smilie.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Great stuff

I have to be honest I have no clue about 80% of the stuff you guys have posted. Il try to catch up and listen to some of t his stuff. I have not even heard of most of it. I did not even know there was a band named Metric. And I thought "Horse with no name" was a Neil Young song. So maybe its best I just watch and listen before I post my music taste!

I like Flamenco guitar and Brooklyn rap.

Vicente Amigo and Buckshot are my favorite artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qzLH3FgxM Vicente Amigo - Solea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAou-NZtNFE Buckshot + 9th Wonder - The formula
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SadisticCynic wrote:Hmm... I've never been to shows before (never had the chance) but if I was to think of a mosh pit song I'd be thinking along the lines of this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_snHHioLgd4
Can't say I'm much of a fan, but I did like the incredible speed of the instruments.
SwordMaster wrote:I have to be honest I have no clue about 80% of the stuff you guys have posted. Il try to catch up and listen to some of t his stuff. I have not even heard of most of it. I did not even know there was a band named Metric. And I thought "Horse with no name" was a Neil Young song. So maybe its best I just watch and listen before I post my music taste!

I like Flamenco guitar and Brooklyn rap.

Vicente Amigo and Buckshot are my favorite artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_qzLH3FgxM Vicente Amigo - Solea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAou-NZtNFE Buckshot + 9th Wonder - The formula
I'm a music fan, so I'm always looking for new music. I wouldn't say I'm up on everything, but because I'm always trying new stuff, I have a broad mix of old and new. I listen to music almost everyday so I need to keep building my library and expanding my tastes so that I don't get bored with it.

El Mariachi! Where's his hand cannon? :)
I once did video for the Expo Latino in Calgary and had the pleasure to see Oscar Lopez perform live. Was quite an amazing show.

Never listened to Buckshot before. "Brand New Day" was okay, but I've been kinda bored with hip hop lately. It's got rather stale of late. They need some underground movements to infuse a bit more variety in it. Merge it with some other forms to get it vibrant again.
Baraka Bryan wrote:oh well, it's the thought tha..... no fuck that.. i'm pissed :evil:
Most radio stations won't play hard stuff, even the rock stations. I remember years ago requesting some heavier tracks by The Tea Party or Rage Against the Machine (two bands which aren't even THAT hard) and the stations won't play them. If heavy bands have any calmer, radio-friendly tracks, the stations will play them. But anything hard is always out of the question.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Speed has never been an indicator of skill or talent for me.

This is skill and talent: www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7y_CD9rMg
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Freakzilla wrote:Speed has never been an indicator of skill or talent for me.

This is skill and talent: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG7y_CD9rMg
:shock: Skill indeed! Very nice work.

And speaking of skill check Martin Lopez out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaXtV4NUPt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI8w_r9mvBw&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsZv1tPtnE&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNRW04WcVfQ

These are all pretty short; there isn't much footage of him. There are more on the dvd, just not on youtube. As far as I'm concerned he's the best. He played for Opeth and was the drummer on the song Windowpane I posted earlier.

Enjoy.
Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

I'd be surprised if anyone had ever even heard of this band. One of it's two principal songwriters (the lesser in my opinion) has a band that's the media darlings of the indie rock scene.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Hi GamePlayer, Have you already mentioned (from another anime) Aimo (Macross Frontier):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b_McH2VY94

(for BB)
Eyes High wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I have really liked most of them. And the others have been interesting.

Let's keep the suggestions coming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFjLB4VYSU (Sometimes I think something like this should happen at my church. :shifty: :mrgreen: )

Hope you like.
What was that in the beginning of the video? A bikini contest? Did you consciously include this video just to test if members in this thread were following your links? ;) :)
Baraka Bryan wrote:I'm loving Metric's new disc

you can preview most of it HERE
Metric is not bad. Not crazy about them (they're a bit too pop for my tastes; I like their work better with Broken Social Scene), but a song or two is good. The video for Gimme Sympathy is awesome. It's all filmed in a single-take shot. You'd think it was done by Michel Gondry :)

But speaking of the Scene... (see above)
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Eyes High
Patience Personified

Post by Eyes High »

Well I have to admit I was wrong about something. The singer of "Her Eyes", I have heard him before. I just didn't realize he had been in the band Train.

This was the first song I ever heard from them. Fell in love with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xXQFnIEf_Q

I actually heard the corous to this one first before I ever heard the whole song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7sh4YWVuug

cmsahe: liked the music from your's. very relaxing. I couldn't understand the lyrics yet still I liked it. Thank you for posting the link.
trang

Post by trang »

One of these days, this week, that I can maintain consciousness long enough then be online at the same time ( I work Overnights if you couldnt guess that by the time of my posts!) at home I'm going to go back thru thread and catch up on some of the variety of music. Im similar to SwordMaster havent heard a lot of whats posted.

I know a lot of music, but know there is a lot out there to share/discover!

Little addition to the America 's "horse with no name", didn't know this information until I looked it up, but makes sense, or I guess it was the intent of the lyrics/arrangement of the song.. and why I think of Dune when it plays.

Excerpt, Wikipedia article, A Horse with no Name:

""America's self-titled debut album was initially released in Europe with only moderate success and without the song "A Horse with No Name." Looking for a song that would be popular in both the United States and Europe, producer Ian Samwell helped the group to record the song and persuaded the Warner Brothers label to re-release the album with "A Horse with No Name" included.

Originally entitled "Desert Song," the song was renamed at Samwell's suggestion. It was written on a rainy day in England, in 1971, and was intended to capture the feel of the hot, dry desert Bunnell remembered from his childhood travels through the Arizona and New Mexico desert when his family lived at Vandenberg Air Force Base. ""
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SadisticCynic wrote:And speaking of skill check Martin Lopez out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaXtV4NUPt8
Not bad. I'm more of a Copeland and ?uestlove fan when it comes to master beat makers :)
cmsahe wrote:Hi GamePlayer, Have you already mentioned (from another anime) Aimo (Macross Frontier):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b_McH2VY94
No, I've stuck mostly to English stuff or instrumentals. Still feeling out what people will like. But it's a good suggestion. Personally, I prefer the minimalist version of Aimo best.

Aimo (by Megumi Nakajima, Macross Frontier OST, 2008)

But my favorite is definitely Alto's theme.
Eyes High wrote:Well I have to admit I was wrong about something. The singer of "Her Eyes", I have heard him before. I just didn't realize he had been in the band Train.

cmsahe: liked the music from your's. very relaxing. I couldn't understand the lyrics yet still I liked it. Thank you for posting the link.
The song cmshae linked was in Japanese. If you liked that, you might like this track from the same series:

Alto's Theme (by Yoko Kanno, Macross Frontier OST, 2008)
trang wrote:One of these days, this week, that I can maintain consciousness long enough then be online at the same time ( I work Overnights if you couldn't guess that by the time of my posts!) at home I'm going to go back through thread and catch up on some of the variety of music. I'm similar to SwordMaster haven't heard a lot of whats posted.

I know a lot of music, but know there is a lot out there to share/discover!
That's why I thought this thread was a good idea. I'm always on the lookout for music and I figured maybe some other people were as well. Only problem is I'm notoriously critical of most music and I don't like a lot of pop. Typically, the more different something sounds, the more I like it. Or to be more accurate, the more unlike the kind of pop that is being played, the better. Whatever sounds fresh and not like everything else. Good news is I'll listen to almost any genre to find music I like. Rock, rap, metal, indie, electronica, house, trip hop, R&B, j-pop, punk, alternative, industrial, reggae, country, classical, computer, dance, blues, hip hop, jazz, et cetera.

Well, here's my next recommendation. A cookie goes to whoever can tell me what film this great song was used to score a closing montage :)
House of the Rising Sun (by The Animals, 1964)
13athroom

Post by 13athroom »

Ive been listening to AMERICAS GREATEST HERO by JOEY SCARBURY alot lately.

believe it or not, ive been thinking about having a perm set.
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

Thought I might suggest something other than metal for once; here's Dave Brubeck and his quartet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs

(Joe Morello is awesome on the drums. The solo may be sparse but I assure you, keeping that time is not easy)
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

some cool stuff, hey does anyone make their own music by chance? I would post some of mine but Im wondering if there are any other artists in music!
SadisticCynic

Post by SadisticCynic »

I'm a drummer (as you might guess) but I have no recording equipment or anything.

Anyway here's another couple of songs by Exivious, they release their first album this month - already preordered :wink: .

http://www.exivious.net/

Just click on the webplayer at the bottom right; Asurim will come up first, then Waves of Thought. I think the second is more accessible (although I love both) but that's up to you.

Enjoy!
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Do you guys consider rapping a form of music creation?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

SwordMaster wrote:Do you guys consider rapping a form of music creation?
That depends on if they actually create their own music or sample it from real artists.
~Pink Snowman
Rakis

Post by Rakis »

Freakzilla wrote:
That depends on if they actually create their own music or sample it from real artists.
Yeah, i believe there is a lot of that, although it does help rap become more mainstream... :twocents-twocents:

I do miss rap from the 80's...
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Freakzilla wrote:
They = Me

I write rap songs, the beats I get from a friend of mine, I write the lyrics and record them over the pre made beats.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

I don't much care for poetry, with or without stolen music in the background. I do like the Beatie Boys, they learned to play instrumets, though.
~Pink Snowman