tech question

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: tech question

Post by Freakzilla »

I doubt it's lost forever, I hear stories of people retrieving things thought long gone from hard drives. I'd take it back to your geek and see if he can get at it for you.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
trang

Post by trang »

first question, was this just a data drive you had repartitioned? and the Operating system drive remained intact?
(it sounds like this is case, just want to be sure)

the Search uses an index file and previous files will in list, even if they do not exist, unless you flush the index.
its similar to the "most recent document" function, a simpler tool in a temp file, but it will list files that go away too, until you attempt to access it and it looks and see's file isnt there.

depending on what application the work was in progress in, there might be a temp file of it on the Operating System Partition, just depends which application.

the repartition drives, the master boot record has the list of current and previous layouts, but you have to use a pretty decent tool to recover the files because they are at fragment level and they have to be rebuilt. A painful process at best.

windows XP added that "go Back" feature, but It doesnt work on repartitioned drives that I am aware of. Only advice I can offer is, backup on a regular basis, try and use whatever application you had the work in and see if you can find a temp file for them, if you find or after you find, set the sheduled tasks to clear temp files off your computer and that will reset the search index as well.

Hope you have some luck.
Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Why, when you can buy a new 320GB HDD for like $60? Too late now, I know. But hard drives are cheap now.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

OIC.

I've always been afraid to get a laptop for fear of upgrade limitations.
~Pink Snowman