Dragon Ball Z get's reborn by it's original creator

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Seraphan

Dragon Ball Z get's reborn by it's original creator

Post by Seraphan »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... llow-manga
Toei Animation has confirmed that this spring's Dragon Ball Kai re-airing of its Dragon Ball Z anime will be edited to more closely follow Akira Toriyama's original manga. The Dragon Ball Z anime series originally ran from April 1989 to January 1996 in Japan. However, since Toriyama was still serializing his manga at the same time in shorter weekly installments, the Dragon Ball Z anime expanded its story by inserting additional content. The new Dragon Ball Kai remastering will be an "Akira Toriyama original cut edition" that will quicken the story presentation and adhere more with the manga's story.

The anime footage will be enhanced with the latest digital technology. This includes a new full-HD remastering from the film reels of the original run, renewed soundtracks and sound effects, and new dialogue recordings with most of the original cast. The re-airing will launch in Japan on April 5.

There will be an on-stage event, "CoFesta Presents The World of Dragon Ball Strikes Back!" at the Tokyo International Anime Fair at the Tokyo Big Sight convention center on March 20. The guests will include the original voice of the main characters Son Goku and Gohan, Masako Nozawa. The event will also reveal the new opening theme song and its as-yet-unannounced singer.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Brilliant.

I wonder if this is the truth behind the rumour I hear a few years back about Toriyama writing a new season that would be entirely canon, unlike GT?
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Though I haven't been a fan in years, I would check this out simply because the pacing should be much better (but that's assuming they cut out much of the over-used/over-indulgent "powering up" the characters do).
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Redstar wrote:Brilliant.

I wonder if this is the truth behind the rumour I hear a few years back about Toriyama writing a new season that would be entirely canon, unlike GT?
It's what i'm hoping. :P
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

I don't konw anything about a new season written by Toryama, but I know that he wrote the TV special last year.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:I don't konw anything about a new season written by Toryama, but I know that he wrote the TV special last year.
Like I said, it was just a rumour. But this being more faithful to the source could be a very corrupted origin for the rumour.
Redstar

Re: Dragon Ball Z get's reborn by it's original creator

Post by Redstar »

Kai recently started airing here in America, so I made a point to check it out. I saw a few dubbed episodes that premiered on Nicktoons, but then switched over to watching subbed episodes online with my brother. Currently left off at episode 40, when the Android Saga has just begun.

So far it's been enjoyable. I haven't watched the original show in a very long time, so I'm not entirely aware of how much faster this version is. At least up until the Frieza Saga it was about 20 episodes ahead, though now it's somewhat more than that as they've skipped the Garlic, Jr. Saga entirely.

While some of the filler episodes were good for pacing and giving a sense of time passing, I'm glad for the removal of all the padding. The story effectively carries itself to the many fights, which last only as long as they need to. There's still as much tension as there always was without all the annoyance of "NEXT TIME, ON DRAGON BALL Z!" I'd recommend it for either of you, if you haven't already looked into it.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

My oldest boy was into DBZ a few years ago but seems to be over it. I watched a couple episodes but didn't find it very interesting.

:?
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Depends when you watch. The Android Saga to the Majin Saga (middle of the series to the end) is more myth, story, and character-oriented, though the show was never much for any of those to begin with. The original Dragon Ball (Goku as a kid, heavily based on Journey to the West) is better in those regards.

To be honest the show isn't really that good, but it was one of the very first action-oriented anime in Japan and one of the first anime released in America. You'll really only like it if you were "there".