Brian Herbert admits there were not notes, and apologizes

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

cmsahe

Brian Herbert admits there were not notes, and apologizes

Post by cmsahe »

April Fools' Day :) :)
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh Carlito, joo so CRAZY! :lol:

(Sorry ... do you say "y" like "j" in Mexican Spanish, too?)
orald

Post by orald »

In other news, Chig stops being a grumpy, hypocretic old man(well, at least the "old" part).

Damn, too unbelieveable, right? Must find a better April Fools joke...
Last edited by orald on 01 Apr 2009 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

SandChigger wrote:Oh Carlito, joo so CRAZY! :lol:

(Sorry ... do you say "y" like "j" in Mexican Spanish, too?)
"And he has declared that he is getting KJA sued for destroying the legacy of his father Frank..." :)

yes SandChigger, in spanish the "Y" sounds like your "J" , except when it is the conjuction "And": Pedro y Lupe, here it sounds [ee]

In english what's the difference between J and Y? When it is a "Y", do you pronounce an "eee" sound or not? i.e.: "Year": [ee-ir]? I pronounce [yir], like a J : [jir]

best regards!
Carlos

----
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Off-topic!

Post by SandChigger »

cmsahe wrote:In english what's the difference between J and Y? When it is a "Y", do you pronounce an "eee" sound or not? i.e.: "Year": [ee-ir]? I pronounce [yir], like a J : [jir]
:) They're very different. J is basically two sounds combined, a D plus ZH (the sound of S in "treasure"). (Technically we call it an affricate, a combined stop + a fricative. J is the voiced version of CH = T + SH.)

Y we sometimes refer to as a "semi-vowel", because it's a more consonantal version of the "ee" vowel. To "English ears" there is a clear transition in words like "yeast" or "year" (that isn't there in "east" or "ear"). The combination yi never occurs in Japanese, so they have a hard time hearing the difference (too).
cmsahe

Re: Off-topic!

Post by cmsahe »

SandChigger wrote:
cmsahe wrote:In english what's the difference between J and Y? When it is a "Y", do you pronounce an "eee" sound or not? i.e.: "Year": [ee-ir]? I pronounce [yir], like a J : [jir]
:) They're very different. J is basically two sounds combined, a D plus ZH (the sound of S in "treasure"). (Technically we call it an affricate, a combined stop + a fricative. J is the voiced version of CH = T + SH.)

Y we sometimes refer to as a "semi-vowel", because it's a more consonantal version of the "ee" vowel. To "English ears" there is a clear transition in words like "yeast" or "year" (that isn't there in "east" or "ear"). The combination yi never occurs in Japanese, so they have a hard time hearing the difference (too).
Thanks I'll pat attention the next time I watch a movie.

----
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

This is getting really weird. :lol:
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Remember when they did realese the notes? A jpg. of two disks that had hand writen "dune 7 notes" on the lables

oh man. we will never see the contents of those disks but i bet you if you poped one of them in your PC you would the the message: Format drive?

Or even worse, Brian put the PC disk in his MAC and it said: Format for MAc now? He clicked "YES" all the disk contents were lost.
I am a turd. Do not emulate me, or Omphalos shall mock you as well.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

More likely the idiot used them as drink coasters. :roll:

There's some important information besides the actual contents they probably didn't think to investigate or record. Like the timestamps for the creation and last modification of the files on the disks.

Whatever. Information which is not released and made publicly available for confirmation might as well not exist. At this point I don't trust the word of anyone involved. Even if they do publish some outline or notes, who's going to believe them?

(I call mine "Mr Happy", btw. I do have pix. ...? :lol: )
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote: At this point I don't trust the word of anyone involved.
Neither do I ... and I haven't for a while now.

I wouldn't trust a Herbert to hold $5 for me. Add a snake like KJA into the mix, and all bets are off.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

You know, FH really did write those notes exactly as BH and KJA have said, and they're both utterly bewildered why we don't believe them. Utterly.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I can well imagine.

After all, their fans believe them, right? What's wrong with us? We must just be haters. :)
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

Once Hunters came out, why not realese the notes? Cant worry about Copywrite issues, or idea stealing, you published the book. Lets see the notes.

But KJA has admited to inventing/creating one or both of the giant killer robots, so that was clearly not part of the notes.

I also am sure the notes did not say: Brian go hire a shit author and have him pimp out my best work so you guys can have fancy matching MACBOOKS and live well for a couple generations. Im sure it did not say THAT.
orald

Post by orald »

Trousers Titan is a better name for it.

After finally leafing through Dune BH started calling his The Gom Gabbar, which to his defense at least matches the physical aspect of it.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

SwordMaster wrote:Once Hunters came out, why not realese the notes?
Because that kind of boring stuff is just for Tolkien geeks?

Actually, I think you mean Sandworms and the "Dune 7" outline. "The Notes" is a much larger collection of materials that would take a lot more REAL WORK to prepare for publication. If you believe that much of their story. At just 2 or 3 pages, the outline could be whipped into a webpage and published on the Internet in much less than an hour. If they wanted to do it.

They won't publish the stuff we really want until sales of the current shit have dropped low enough. Eventually the rats on the good ship HLP will make Kevin walk the plank and start publishing stuff that he probably doesn't want them to at present.

Or so I hope. ;)
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

that's a likely scenario.

and in another thread, someone said "Sands of Dune" would be the
last of the noDune, combining the Irulan&Leto II storylines.

I'll bet on that, too.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

When Jessica Has Wind On Dune bombs like Pearl Harbor, plans will be made to acquaint Kevvie with the location of the door. He might spit out another book (maybe even two), but the gravy train won't last forever.

The only question: which SF creation will he glom onto next?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I saw that, but I think the Throne of Dune that they've actually announced will be reworked to cover Irulan and Leto.

But it's anybody's guess at this point. Unless Kevvie has posted something new?
cmsahe

Re: Off-topic!

Post by cmsahe »

I must preview my posts before publishing them !! I'll Pay attention.
Baraka Bryan wrote:
cmsahe wrote:
SandChigger wrote:

Thanks I'll pat attention the next time I watch a movie.
is that what you call yours? ;)

----
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

SwordMaster wrote:Once Hunters came out, why not realese the notes? Cant worry about Copywrite issues, or idea stealing, you published the book. Lets see the notes.

But KJA has admited to inventing/creating one or both of the giant killer robots, so that was clearly not part of the notes.

I also am sure the notes did not say: Brian go hire a shit author and have him pimp out my best work so you guys can have fancy matching MACBOOKS and live well for a couple generations. Im sure it did not say THAT.
I have 43 pages of original Dune notes, they are the Appendixes!

----
SwordMaster
Freakbanned

Post by SwordMaster »

The new Dune concpets are so fucking lame. The reason Frank left out those time frames is because they were not important for fucks sake this is like filling in the time between scenes in a film. After Neo kills Mr. Smith, he has to take a huge shit, and spends 20 minutes on a shitter while picking his noise. Sorry we left that out of the original it was an important side plot.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

SwordMaster wrote:The new Dune concpets are so fucking lame. The reason Frank left out those time frames is because they were not important for fucks sake this is like filling in the time between scenes in a film. After Neo kills Mr. Smith, he has to take a huge shit, and spends 20 minutes on a shitter while picking his noise. Sorry we left that out of the original it was an important side plot.
Exactly. The thing about writing (or any medium, really) is that you have to artfully construct a story with as few snapshots as you can. You tell what matters. Otherwise it's not a story; it's just Muad'dib using Creosote leaves to wipe his ass dry.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Dude, you could put in an awesome action scene and maybe even a sex scene and Neo doesn't even have to leave the shitter!

It's my claim that there will not be a nuDune Book after Sands. I don't see how the publisher will keep it going with it's semi-miserable sales and the fact that it shows up nowhere on the Sci-fi radar irregardless of its status as "DUNE". If Throne comes out, I'd place money that it goes straight to Trade Paper.

heh heh heh, I just had to put in irregardless. it makes sense to use double negatives when talking about KJA.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus