Michael Moorcock

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Dr. Why

Michael Moorcock

Post by Dr. Why »

I just read volume 1 in his Elric saga after meeting him at CoastCon last weekend. It is an enjoyable book and quick at that. I am just curious if anyone else has read anything by him, and what your take on him is.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

What's the title of the book you read?

I read most of his "Dancers at the End of Time" series when I was at uni. I remember enjoying them, but I haven't reread them, so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details. ;)
Dr. Why

Post by Dr. Why »

I read Elric of Melnibone' volume 1. Ironically I have "Dancers at the End of Time" checked out from my uni's library, though I haven't gotten to it yet.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I've read most of them. I remember loving Moorcock's mass of different ideas but being disappointed in how quickly he resolved most of them. My favorite is A Nomad on the Edge of Time.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Ive read some of Dancers too. Behold the Man is my favorite by him. He also published a series about a bisexual spy with a pack of odd sidekicks. Cant remember the title now, but it was interesting.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Sounds like Jerry Cornelius.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

He's on my to-read list. I listened to an audio of a (the first?) Elric story and enjoyed it a lot.

But the problem is I buy almost all of my books from charity shops - and being a bit of completist I'm reluctant to pick up Vol 2 of such and such saga just on the off chance that vols 1 and 3 will turn up :P

(come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen Vol 1 of anything in my local charity shops...)

I don't know - how linear are his series?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

TheDukester wrote:Sounds like Jerry Cornelius.
That's him. Interesting diversion, but not a great SF tale.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
guild navigator

Post by guild navigator »

I've read Dancers at the End of Time and Behold the Man, both are part of the SF Masterworks series which is always great if you don't know what to read next.
If I ever stopped writing, my head would explode.
Mandy
Cat Herder

Post by Mandy »

I think I read the first three books in the Elric saga last year. They were pretty good.
As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hypatia approaches one.
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

DuneFishUK wrote:I don't know - how linear are his series?
I don't a single person who has read them in order. In fact, I don't know anyone who could tell me the order.

Most of Elric's adventures are self-contained; don't be afraid to just wade in. A general sort of order can be found in the new Del Rey series (new to us Yanks, anyway):

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/catal ... e=moorcock
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

:Banging Drum: You must read his Gloriana, or The Unfulfill'd Queen, your eye's will love you and so will your ears, cause if you don't you get more Drum!