Movie discussions

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Simon

Movie discussions

Post by Simon »

Sunshine (2007)
directed by: Danny Boyle

Have any of you seen this film? I thought it was really good, not 2001 classic good but only because 2001 did it first.

"In 2057, the failure of the Earth's sun threatens life on the planet, compelling humanity to send a spacecraft that carries a payload intended to re-ignite it. The first spacecraft with the payload, the Icarus I, was lost for reasons unknown, having failed in its mission. A second spacecraft with a new payload, the Icarus II, is sent to the sun in a final attempt due to all fissile materials on earth having been mined for the payload."

SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like this type of movie because it is an ensamble cast and there was no "Star", you just can kind of root for whomever seems right to you and who knows who'll live and who'll die. (like say in Rambo 4, I had a good feeling Rambo was going to live)

So my feelings on Sunshine:Cliff Curtis, was great! His character was meant as Pinbackers "flip side".
He felt the same mesmerizing awe of the "God like" Sun but unlike Pinbacker wasn't consumed by his fixation.

Also I enjoyed Pinbacker as he was executed (visually and verbally). As a villain he was really good. Though I'll give you that his placement in this film was debatable.
A part of me enjoyed the turn in tone but a part of me wonders if the movie could have been better had it remained a strict "man vs. the elements tale".

Maybe the only character who's death might have come to soon was Captain Kaneda (as far as feeling it) but I understood why Boyle did it, the leader dying hightened the drama. As for Kanneda's death, I thought it was really spectacular. The visuals as the deadly sun fire bore down on him with Curtis asking "What do you see!?"

I also liked how each character was met with "a personal challenge" (as mentioned in the commentary) which they either rose above or were destroyed by.

I really felt their doom and their need to rise above their personal fears in order to save the Earth. When the Cassie character is discussing the difference between being afraid to die and knowing your going to die, that really struck me.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

I hadn't heard about this one yet.

Oh dear.

One of my problems is I can't get into a movie with a questionable basic premise unless the visuals, acting, etc., are REALLY fantastic. I'll go look for some more info on this one, but the "failure of the Earth's sun" makes it sound like it would be in the no-starter category for me. :(

Edit:

OK, I take that back, I had heard of this one. Kaneda was played by Hiroyuki Sanada and I remember seeing a trailer or two now. (He's quite good, by the way. Played the samurai that kept bashing Tom Cruise when he was first captured. ;) )

You took that blurb from the WP article, I see. It had this to offer further down:
Wikipedia wrote:In the film's backstory, a Q-Ball enters the Earth's sun and begins to eat it away. According to Cox, the sun would not be dense enough in real life to stop a Q-ball, but filmmakers took creative licensing in writing the backstory.
That doesn't sound exactly like an event consistent with "failure", and I fail to see how a Manhattan-sized bomb could restart the sun unless it also destroys the "Q-ball".

Anyway...while I don't think I'm going to rush off to Tsutaya or Wonder Goo to rent it, I figure it will eventually end up playing on one of my movie channels. I'll watch it then to see if the human story makes up for the scientific back one. ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Its taken forever for this one to make it to DVD. I have been curious for a long time. I think Ill try to find it soon.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Saw it in the theatres and was disappointed with it. Yeah it's well made and better than the average vapid summer blockbuster, but not by much. Danny Bolye is about the only thing that makes this movie interesting, but his style and visual skill isn't enough to elevate this film beyond disposable entertainment I'm likely to never watch again.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Yeah it seems to be one of those "you like it or don't" type movies.

The DVD commentary was actually very interesting, well the one with their physicist on set advisor. His commentary track really goes into the science of the thing. He explains early on that at a certain point they had to go with what would look better or better move the story as opposed to going for the hard scientific reality of what that situation would entail.

This could be another case of my having low expectations going in and being pleasently surprised when it turned out to be Ok. In the end though I'd recommend it...
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I just checked at my local video store. They don't have it.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Omphalos wrote:I just checked at my local video store. They don't have it.
Dude, netflix is the way to go. I ge t2 movies at a time which is 14 bucks +tax a month and usually watch 9-11 flicks. Damn good selection of non mainstream stuff.

Rob
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

This year my wife and I eliminated every single "monthly charge" accounts we have, save for necessities. We are saving a ton. I honestly think that the monthly charge is a serious threat to national security.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

I can see how that can happen. Netflix is the only one I have and even though i work in a movie theater there is a lot of stuff we do not get that i want to see, especially foreign movies and documentaries.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

They've been carpet-bomb advertising Jumper over here for a week or so now. I've only looked at the WP article for it and the original book.

Looks like one I'll wait for on my satellite channels or miss entirely. Anyone seen it or read the book?
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

I loved this movie! But I like this kind of film for the story and characterizations. There’s nothing better than a well-acted and hauntingly lonely sci-fi piece. I can't describe it better than that.

If you can get over the absurdity of the science behind the film, you might just enjoy it. I’d put Solaris in the same category.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Was there actual science behind it? I just skimmed the WP articles, so maybe I missed the explanation of the jump ability.

I kinda lost interest when I read the bit about the "Paladins" and their advanced technology and the ongoing war between the two groups. Ongoing for how long? Gah. :roll:

I'm also not too fond of the Haydelseed kid. (What's his name, really?) He's kinda replaced Keanu in my mind as The Actor Most Like The Uncarved Block of Wood. :wink:
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

It's an action popcorn movie. Moves along quickly is not overly long. It is decent for what it is.

Rob
Crysknife

Post by Crysknife »

OMG, I just realized I didn't quote anyone. My last comment was for the movie Sunshine. Sorry :?

But Jumper looks cool too.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

SandChigger wrote:Was there actual science behind it? I just skimmed the WP articles, so maybe I missed the explanation of the jump ability.

I kinda lost interest when I read the bit about the "Paladins" and their advanced technology and the ongoing war between the two groups. Ongoing for how long? Gah. :roll:

I'm also not too fond of the Haydelseed kid. (What's his name, really?) He's kinda replaced Keanu in my mind as The Actor Most Like The Uncarved Block of Wood. :wink:
ive seen it twice now...it is just a fun action/popcorn movie...nothing spectacular...but it has some pretty original fight scenes...its a fun movie...dont expect anything complicated or oscar worthy and u should enjoy it
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Tyrant wrote:it is just a fun action/popcorn movie...nothing spectacular...but it has some pretty original fight scenes...its a fun movie...dont expect anything complicated or oscar worthy and u should enjoy it
Thats what I get from the trailers as well, don't think I'll rush out to see it.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Chig, I believe that there is a comic book adaption of Jumper available online free that should give you an idea. I believe it was published by Oni Press.

Rob
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Crysknife wrote:OMG, I just realized I didn't quote anyone. My last comment was for the movie Sunshine. Sorry :?

But Jumper looks cool too.
:lol:

Thanks, Rob. I'll have a look 'round later this afton. (Although...I find an outfit called "Demon" Press kinda distoibing. ;) )
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Hehe, they put out some good product. I'm a fan of Queen & Country and Blue Monday.

Rob
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

Anybody else here seen Fido starring Billy Connolly? If you like Shaun of the Dead, you'll love it.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I saw the review for that when I rented Across the Universe, it looks great.
Spice Grandson

Post by Spice Grandson »

It's like Pleasantville meets Shaun of the Dead. Really fantastic.
Keep it civil. Keep it cool.

ImageImage

http://www.filmreviewstew.com
orald

Post by orald »

What we really need is a Destination: Void movie.

That and A Song of Ice and Fire, though that'll have to stretch for like 10 movies at least...but maybe the short stories The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword(and they're alot more light and optimistic than the main books so far) and the last one that'll be released when I'll be 40 I bet. :cry:

I'm an 80's kid BTW.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.