KJA joins the rest of us in this century...

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

KJA joins the rest of us in this century...

Post by SandChigger »

And starts using WordPress on his Wordfire site:

http://www.wordfire.com/kjablog/

If you think something about that layout looks familiar, it should ... if you're a reader of Omph's blog or mine. It's by Mina at The Cloisters.

It's tempting to read something into the "coincidence", but I'm not sure how much Mina advertises her layouts on the WordPress site or how popular/well-known she is.

I wonder if this means they're going to switch to WordPress on the Dumb Novels site as well.

Oh yeah: As expected, "You must be logged in to post a comment."

Can't have uncensored commentary, after all. :shock:

Once a coward always a coward.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

He really had to describe himself as an "author" in over 850 words?
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Shit. You know what, I didn't even bother looking at that. I guess it takes that many words because in his case "author" doesn't really mean (anything?) what it does in the case of other, real examples of the profession. ;)

From his latest blog:
I’ve completed 111 (out of 124) chapters in the second “Terra Incognita” novel, which will be published in summer 2010; I should finish the first draft by the end of the week.
124 chapters. That's just ridiculous.

And today is Wednesday. So he's going to "write" 13 more "chapters" in three or four days.

And there are people who think that's just hunky-dory. :roll:

(Btw, I don't believe there has yet been a public statement of how many chapters they had planned/have written for Winds. That's actually a bit unusual, because he's made a point of providing that information for the last three books. :?: :?: :?: )
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I like short chapters, since it gives me time to just lie back and reflect on everything that's happened and analyze it. Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey is a good example of doing this right.

But flipping through the KJA shit I find that the chapters are so trivial. They're so short because he doesn't know to hold your attention, driving you to turn the pages in anticipation for that next line of dialogue, that final sentence to clarify what just happened. FH's chapters did this perfectly.
Kevin J Anderson's Blog wrote:He also, occasionally, stays home and writes.
:lol:
Sev

Post by Sev »

I'm bemused by this part of his blogthing:
KJA wrote:Anderson released all seven large volumes on time, year after year, and he completed the series with Book #7.
Talk about stating the bleedin' obvious. :?
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Kevin J Anderson's Blog wrote:He also, occasionally, stays home and writes.
Comedy gold :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Oh boy, I'm going to get my next girlfriend a genuine Terra Incognita fishhook necklace so she'll know I'm "hooked" on her and have crappy taste in writers!

http://www.anderzoneshop.com/servlet/th ... ish/Detail

Dude if you have a lot of friends who make cool jewelry, just link their pages and reccomend them. Don't have them make crappy stuff that hooks into your by-line. Hooks? get it! hahahahahahaha.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Kevin J. Anderson is the author of more than one hundred books, 47 of which have appeared on national or international bestseller lists. He has over 20 million books in print in thirty languages. He has won or been nominated for numerous prestigious awards, including the Nebula Award, Bram Stoker Award, the SFX Reader's Choice Award, the American Physics Society's Forum Award, and New York Times Notable Book.
And still the world doesnt give a fuck about you.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

He has won or been nominated for numerous prestigious awards, including the Nebula Award, Bram Stoker Award, the SFX Reader's Choice Award, the American Physics Society's Forum Award, and New York Times Notable Book.
I love the structural ambiguity there. That's gotta be intentional. ;)
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Redstar wrote:He really had to describe himself as an "author" in over 850 words?
Isn't it great? Most people use those "about me" blurbs for two or three sentences of work, family, hobbies, etc. But not our boy KJA! There's just no way he's going to waste another chance to tell us about his awards ... and the fact that his useless space opera was delivered on time ... and his international bestsellers ... and blah fucking blah.

The overcompensation issues would be visible to a blind man. The need for acceptance and validation would be honestly worthy of pity if the man in question wasn't such an insufferable dickhead.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Yeah, his appetite for affirmation seems virtually endless. Same thing with his new friend Mike Resnick :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, my ...

I'll bet, like me, y'all thought the "About KJA" link would just refer back to that box of text we're all laughing at. Seems logical, right?

Nope. It leads to an entirely separate KJA bio.

This douche-nozzle has TWO distinct "about me" pages. :shock: :roll: :lol:

How does his head fit through doorways?

Hey, Mike Resnick! Good luck working with this raving egomaniac!
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh. My. God. It's turning out to be a treasure trove of horrors.

I LOVE IT! :laughing:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Was KJA actually nominated for a Nebula? I thought he was only short-listed for a nom. And of the awards he lists, did he actually win any, or were they all just nominations?

By the way, his "about the author" sidebar still lists Jessica of Dune. And since when was "delivering work on time"something an author needs to mention? Okay, he's professional, which I'm sure his publisher loves. But what about quality?

Have you read the latest blog entry? KJA writes the lyrics to some song or other for a CD to accompany a half-baked novel idea, while his wife sits beside him in constant pain. What a great guy.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, that "Monsters" one is a com-/re-post from MySpace. He hasn't shown the bad taste of having it reposted on Dune Novels, so I didn't blog about it.

Not much to write about it other than "Fucking self-centered bastard!" about a hundred times. ;)
cmsahe

Re: KJA joins the rest of us in this century...

Post by cmsahe »

[quote="SandChigger"]And starts using WordPress on his Wordfire site:

http://www.wordfire.com/kjablog/
[/b][/quote

"I write. I make up stuff. I adventure hard, so you don’t have to."

Yes he made up the "notes".
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

And I'm not really sure what that third sentence means.

The whole "About the Author" spiel is really quite extraordinary. It goes on and on, and he mentions things that authors who are successful because of their writing never seem to bring up in their bios. You could almost dissect it sentence by sentence and not find anything that actually indicates a writer of talent.

I won't do that, but I will make one comment.

Interesting that the three Star Wars anthologies that he edited are referred to as *his* bestselling books, without any mention of his editorial role. Hmm.

HBJ
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:And I'm not really sure what that third sentence means.
It spins off of some current advertising campaign, but I can't remember which company it is.

And it doesn't make a lot of sense. Wouldn't Keith's readers want to go on adventures?

Once again, he just has no idea how words work. Kind of embarrassing for a writer, one would think ...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Hunchback Jack wrote:Was KJA actually nominated for a Nebula? I thought he was only short-listed for a nom. And of the awards he lists, did he actually win any, or were they all just nominations?
God help me, but I'm actually researching some of Keith's claims.

I started with the Stoker award, mentioned in another thread. He was apparently nominated once, and it was 21 years ago. No wins.

This morning, I attacked the Nebula claim. The SFWA site is practically useless (fun note: Google actually gave me a "this site may harm your computer" warning, so they've got some malicious code installed there), so I had to rely on some other sites to compile my info. Anyway, KJA has been nominated for one Nebula:

1993: Assemblers of Infinity by Kevin J. Anderson and Doug Beason.

It did not win (Red Mars blew it out of the water). Note also that it's not a solo work; it's one of Kevvie's many, many collaborations, so one can't help but wonder what exactly KJA's contribution was. It's a nanotech story, if anyone cares ...

The SFX Reader's Choice thing I'm not even going to bother with. Every SF/F magazine and website has these sorts of awards; they're a harmless way to fill up a little space. The fact that KJA continually lists something like this as an "award" speaks volumes about the man.

The N.Y. Times thing he always talks about is not even an award. It's more of a designation. For whatever reason, one of his books was, at one point or another, mentioned as a "notable" book. Which makes it one of about 25,000 such books over the years.

+++++

Summary of Kevin J. Anderson's awards worth mentioning:

One (shared) Nebula nomination: no wins

One Stoker nomination from the 1980s: no wins.

End of line.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

He's changed the theme on his blog, but it's still one by Mina at The Cloisters (she does do them nicely).
.: WELCOME TO KJA'S BLOG CENTRAL :.

I'm going to post really fascinating stuff here. . . .
Out yer ass, hack. Out yer ass. :roll:
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Wonderful. So his wife is sitting there, rolling around in pain, being ignored by doctors after another doctor told him that she needed immediate care, and what does he do? No, he doesn't throw her into a tub and molest her:
I had a small notepad and I jotted down the rough lyrics for “Here Be Monsters,” the first song written on the “Terra Incognita” CD.
What an absolute fucking tool he is.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

OH GOD QUICK! You've got to see this!

He changed the layout since yesterday and I thought he had gotten rid of that hideous "About" box, but NO HE HASN'T!!!

Look at any individual post on the blog, not the front page:

http://www.wordfire.com/kjablog/2009/03 ... -hospital/

Isn't that fucking CLASSIC?! :laughing:

(I've saved a copy and will repost it somewhere if he smartens up and changes it. ;) )
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Holy fuck. Learn layout.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Mina's layouts are all Creative Commons licensed, but it's a damned shame what they're doing to that one. :(
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm going to start putting something like this at the end of every one of my blog posts, too. It's teh aw3s0mezz !!l!llone!111ll