Apocalypse Meow!

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

GamePlayer
70mm God

Apocalypse Meow!

Post by GamePlayer »

Saw this trailer for something called Cat Shit One on another site. Yes, that's really the name. It's so mind-numbingly awesome, disturbing, retarded and ludicrously funny, I just had to share it with everyone here. :)

Cat Shit One

I'm literally shell-shocked by this. It's so moronic and yet I can't turn away. I'm in awe of the reality that someone is actually creating a series like this. You'll never look at anthropomorphic characters the same way again :P :lol:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

I really don't know what to say to that. But given the chance I'd watch it.

edit to add.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb50GMmY5nk&NR=1
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

How'd you find this? It's called "Cat Shit One" yet there are no cats? I'm not sure what to think, but those bunnies were badass.
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

inhuien
That was pretty much my reaction as well. I'm dumbfounded. :)

Tleszer
Someone posted it on another board I visit. I was actually in denial when I first watched it. I thought it was just some amateur-to-professional animation project, like A Gentlemen's Duel. But I searched for it on the net and apparently it's a manga (Japanese comic) also known as Apocalypse Meow. It looks legit, such as it is :)

Yeah, I don't actually recall seeing any anthropomorphic cats in this video. Though the internets tell me the book was set in Vietnam where the Vietnamese were anthropomorphic cats rather than camels. Gotta love the indirect stereotyped racism. :shock:
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

It was just so odd that for a while I wasn't sure what I was seeing. But it seems pretty cool.

HBJ
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:P

Another prime link, my Playah!

This minimalist site

http://www.catshitone.jp/

says they were at Booth E-17 at Tokyo International Animé Fair 2009, which evidently was held just last weekend. There's a lot more info at

http://www.genbun.net/

There's a WP article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_Meow

The clip is obviously not set in Vietnam, however. :?

Trying to make out the fuzzy text at the beginning.... ;)
Schu

Post by Schu »

Words can't express how fucking awesome that is.
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

lol...best idea for a show i've seen in a while...dont let KJA see it or we're gonna have Assassin Bunnies of Dune coming soon
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I rather liked that. What the fuck were they saying?

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
cmsahe

Post by cmsahe »

Tyrant wrote:lol...best idea for a show i've seen in a while...dont let KJA see it or we're gonna have Assassin Bunnies of Dune coming soon
lol, I was just thinking that it looks Dune-esque.
Only the books written by Frank Herbert are canon.

Who We Are and What We Stand For
viewtopic.php?p=79778#p79778
----
Carlos Santillan, aka cmsahe
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Yeah, but you think everything is Dune-esque. :P

;)
Omphalos wrote:What the fuck were they saying?
One is glad to be of service.... ;)

[Opening Titles]

Private Military Corporations

* A new form of mercenary organization

With the end of the Cold War after the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, military budgets in the United States and other countries were drastically reduced, bringing about an increase in the number of decommissioned military personnel.

The end of the Cold War also reduced the influence of the major powers, and terrorism, civil wars, and ethnic conflicts broke out around the world, resulting in a growing demand for the capability of dealing with such matters.

In order to meet that demand, ex-military personnel began selling their combat skills.

That was the beginning of private military corporations...

[Bunnies on hill...]

Botasky: Hold on, Packy. Are you suggesting we do this on our own?

Packy: If we don’t do it now, those two are dead. You target from here and I’ll signal you on the radio. I’ll go round and approach from the side. It’s OK. We can do this.

Botasky: Hey, I’m not such a bad shot after all!

BOTASKY (Voice: Satoshi Hino)

Packy: It’ll just be riskier if you go. Don’t come back.

PACKY (Voice: Hiroshi Tsuchida)

Written by Motofumi Kobayashi

Directed by Kazuya Sasahara

Animation by Anima

They’re cute ... but merciless.

[End Titles]

This work is fictitious and has no relation to any actual animals, people, places or groups.
The images in this work were 100% generated by computer, and no actual animals were used in the filming.

(I love to show off. :P Thought about including the Japanese or a transcription, but that'd be overkill, right? ;) )

(Oh yeah: Eat it, Bel Moulay. :lol: )
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Impressive my chigga! Though I've no way of confirming whether it's accurate, but at least the context sounds right :)
Just kidding, thanks a lot. I could really use your skills translating some Macross. Want a job? Volunteer, of course ;) :P
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

Minor liberties to make it make sense. ;)

Like Botasky actually says something like, "My gun, it really is something you can use!" And Packy later tells him "It's OK for you not to come back." Maybe that makes more sense with more context. :?

And some things you just can't translate into English, like how they each use different words for "we" that clearly establish Packy is the older superior and Botasky the younger subordinate. And other things.... ;)

I'm psyched to see this now.

Macross, huh. How much is "some"? :P
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Not a problem. As long as you get the context/spirit of the translation, that's far more important than being literal. At any rate, it reads well to me. Thanks again.

Everyone complains about the honorifics in Japanese, but I found it far more difficult understanding the personal pronouns and more specifically, why the Japanese act the way they do toward specific people when using personal pronouns. I've watched plenty of Japanese film and some anime and found certain elements of Japanese society translate properly into understanding, such as the positive synergy and embracing of technology, the importance of the group over the individual, etc. However, the personal pronouns and the Japanese way of respect/politeness is one thing that never seems to translate. I always end up scratching my head asking why some character is so offended at something trivial or why another character is being overly apologetic or deferential to a character that clearly deserves no apology or deference. But perhaps that's for another topic.

I'll send you a PM :)
orald

Post by orald »

SandChigger wrote:And some things you just can't translate into English, like how they each use different words for "we" that clearly establish Packy is the older superior and Botasky the younger subordinate. And other things.... ;)
I bet they're all about the Shudō.

But they're not half as awsome as the Very Manly Bunny. 8)

*It's a pain to go theough the comic's archives in search of a better pic*
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

orald wrote:I bet they're all about the Shudō.
Good god. What (whose?) hole did you pull that one out of? That might have been current slang at one time ... like ... the Tokugawa Period, 300 years ago? Try using it today and people will assume you want to discuss classical literature or traditional sexual quirks of the Buddhist priesthood. :roll:

But they're not half as awsome as the Very Manly Bunny. 8)
Oh my god ... it's Wilford Brimley! :shock:

orald

Post by orald »

Oh, sorry, was I supposed to be using some trendy name for it? I wasn't aware I was part of the unwashed masses of internet kiddies.

There's this Japanese movie I once watched which basically revolved around something similar, and boy was that young samurai a hottie! And I generally dislike east-asian(or asian, period) male looks(sorry CL), mind you.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

The key word there being samurai.

Ain't too many of them running around these days. :roll:
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

SandChigger wrote:The key word there being samurai.

Lies! Japan is filled with samurai, ninjas, super soldiers, kaiju that attack the cities, world champion school girl street fighters and giant robots piloted by mentally unstable teenagers. I know, I've seen Japanese television! :P :lol:
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

GamePlayer wrote:
SandChigger wrote:The key word there being samurai.

Lies! Japan is filled with samurai, ninjas, super soldiers, kaiju that attack the cities, world champion school girl street fighters and giant robots piloted by mentally unstable teenagers. I know, I've seen Japanese television! :P :lol:
RAmen, brother!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Ooohhh, sexah portmanteau :)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Gaijin. :roll:

:P
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

orald wrote:Oh, sorry, was I supposed to be using some trendy name for it? I wasn't aware I was part of the unwashed masses of internet kiddies.

There's this Japanese movie I once watched which basically revolved around something similar, and boy was that young samurai a hottie! And I generally dislike east-asian(or asian, period) male looks(sorry CL), mind you.
:lol: That's OK, Orald. Looks like I'm the only one on here who's safe from you. :lol:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

I've just read about Shudo on Wikipedia. Amazing, these fags just get everywhere. :lol: Shudo seems to sum up the relationship between Sandchigger and Orald quite well.
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

chanilover wrote:I've just read about Shudo on Wikipedia. Amazing, these fags just get everywhere. :lol: Shudo seems to sum up the relationship between Sandchigger and Orald quite well.
:shock:

I think I'm gonna have to stay away from that article...