Twitter Wars!

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

SandRider
Watermaster

Re: Twitter Wars!

Post by SandRider »

I just don't have the motivation or stomach to follow
Keith's twits everyday, anymore, much less Brian.

However, I'd be amused to see the more dense and/or
socially-inept posts, so if some one wanted to re-post
here, I'd be obliged.
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 6.17.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 6.17.54 PM.png (58.78 KiB) Viewed 11047 times
It's "Peter Davison". If you're going to name-drop, at least get the name right, Keith!

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Naib

Post by Naib »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 6.17.54 PM.png
It's "Peter Davison". If you're going to name-drop, at least get the name right, Keith!

HBJ
What a twat.
inhuien

Post by inhuien »

3 decades ago it would have been the Dr. Who actor boasting about meeting the author of DUNE.
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

inhuien wrote:3 decades ago it would have been the Dr. Who actor boasting about meeting the author of DUNE.
OMG, that made me feel old. :character-oldtimer:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Sev

Post by Sev »

Something is seriously wrong in the world of literary SF - because Keith has just been nominated in the Best Novel Category for a Hugo Award for his newest Seven Sucks book. What the Fuck?!
Freakzilla - "Apparently we can only aspire to be the 13th biggest Dune fan since we are not family or in the HLP."

Byron - "Are you trying to irk me?"
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Sev wrote:Something is seriously wrong in the world of literary SF - because Keith has just been nominated in the Best Novel Category for a Hugo Award for his newest Seven Sucks book. What the Fuck?!
That says it all about the current state of the genre. No wonder I only re-read older novels or try to find missed gems.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

The Hugos are a political in-fighting mess apparently. I had no idea about the Scalzi and TOR Books "social justice" campaigning for Hugo nominations the past few years and then the Sad Puppies backlash campaign that seemed to win out for that side this year. I never paid much attention to the Hugos before but Googled the nominations when I say tehkja got a nom. I don't think The Hack was involved in any of it but now I have 2 reason to lose respect for the Hugo.
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."
Frank Herbert by Tim O'Reilly
http://tim.oreilly.com/herbert/

Ghanima said. "We Atreides go back to Agamemnon..."
Distracted, Irulan asked: "Who's Agamemnon?"

Children of Dune by Frank Herbert

WTF? A BG forgets the Titans?! :)
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I wasn't aware it was ballot nominees. Considering the amount of suspected shill reviews either KJA or Tor is buying, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hugo had been totally infected.

Apparently another campaign rigged all the other nominations to make them more pop-sci-fi oriented, so its no surprise at all that KJA was on the list.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Sev wrote:Something is seriously wrong in the world of literary SF - because Keith has just been nominated in the Best Novel Category for a Hugo Award for his newest Seven Sucks book. What the Fuck?!
The Hugo awards have lost all their meaning, and I am not just saying this because this piece of shit got a nomination. This has been going on for years now. I would say at least 3/4 of the works that get nominated these days are unreadable trash.

That and the genre has gone to hell.

Honestly, the old stuff is where its at.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

I was reading about the drama, and found this wonderful quote from the "Sad puppy" campaigner
the many authors on the SP3 slate who have never before received even a single Hugo award nomination, including venerable greats like Kevin J. Anderson — the long slighting of one of the field’s titans has finally ended!
I'm not sure what to make of it. To be honest, I don't think anyone but sf authors ever cared about the Hugos.
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

To put the Hugos in perspective.

Frank Herbert: 2 Hugo Nominations with 1 win for Dune

John Scalzi: 4 Hugo Nominations with 1 win for Redshirts ... a blatant Star Trek rip-off.

Keith J Anderhack: 1 Hugo Nomination (this year).
The name Atreides was also consciously chosen. It is the family name of Agamemnon. Says Herbert, "I wanted a sense of monumental aristocracy, but with tragedy hanging over them--and in our culture, Agamemnon personifies that."

Naïve mind

Post by Naïve mind »

You know, if KJA wins this, he'll be Hugo-award winning author Kevin J. Anderson. He won't need Dune anymore.
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

My fear with a win by the Hack is that the McDune situation would get a lot worse, not better. Wouldn't surprise me that if he wins, he'll use that as leverage with the HLP twits to get full creative control and sole credit on future McDune books. I could see TOR backing him also since McDune sales, with the status quo of him and BoBo co-authoring, are flagging. We know the HLP is all about money and I could see a scenario with Kieth and TOR pushing for a change in the relationship with a Hugo win for Kieth.

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

While that could happen, I see it causing TOR to pick up the saggy suns as a new series, since its the one he was nominated for.

It won't stop his productivity or his ego.

But hey, Big Bang Theory is the most popular comedy on TV right now, its not surprising KJA was nominated for a Hugo.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Ampoliros wrote:But hey, Big Bang Theory is the most popular comedy on TV right now, its not surprising KJA was nominated for a Hugo.
I only watch it for Penny. :drool:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

If myself from ten years ago heard me saying this now, I am sure I would sock myself in the jaw. But man, oh man SF literature really, really sucks these days. Most of it is absolutely unreadable.

Poor myself.

Goodnight Golden Path!
trang

Post by trang »

I step away and all hell breaks loose.....wow. I knew for awhile about he sham the Hugo's have become ( why I don't pay attention) but had no idea dipstick was a nominee.

I will have to catch up some..
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Lawliet

Post by Lawliet »

George R.R Martin, one of my favorite writers, has been talking about this issue on his website, and he actually replies to MANY of the comments, it's a great read, really. I think it's an interesting matter to discuss, so I post it here:

http://grrm.livejournal.com/417125.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://grrm.livejournal.com/417521.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://grrm.livejournal.com/417600.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://grrm.livejournal.com/417812.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(In the comments of this one he wrote this):
Look, we all have favorites, books and stories and writers we like. Some get recognized, some do not. And tastes differ.

I want the Hugo Awards to go to GREAT work. Work worthy to stand besides LORD OF LIGHT and THE DEMOLISHED MAN and THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS. There are lots of writers who have spent decades in the field and published dozens, even hundreds, of books, without ever rising above the level of mediocrity. You don't get a Hugo for longevity or number of books published.

Now, obviously, you admire the work of Kevin J. Anderson and Lee Modesitt and think they are writing Hugo-calibre stuff. Others may not... not because of "prejudice" or "campaigning," but because they are not taken by the work. Myself, I am far more outraged that Gene Wolfe has never won a Hugo, that Howard Waldrop has never won one, that Chad Oliver and Algis Budrys lived and died without winning one. Jack Vance won a couple, but if it were up to me, he'd have won twenty.

Point simply being, we all have favorites who get overlooked.

As for tie-ins, we will have to disagree. I don't think tie-ins SHOULD win Hugos. They are work-for-hire gigs, and they are lesser work. Part of the writer's art, especially in SF and fantasy, is worldbuilding. And character is the soul of all fiction. A tie-in writer has his world and characters handed to him. He tells a story, but he is not creating, not in the same way as a writer who starts from a blank sheet of paper.

Amd boy, you guys really hate REDSHIRTS. I don't understand that. It's just the kind of fun adventure story that I thought the Puppies wanted more of. Are you judging the work, or the author? Is it Scalzi's writing you hate, or his politics?

http://grrm.livejournal.com/418285.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://grrm.livejournal.com/418310.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://grrm.livejournal.com/418643.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Also...i can kill you with my brain. - River Tam

Sandwurm88
Not Soleman

Post by Sandwurm88 »

FWIW, I actually don't think Scalzi is that bad as a writer. He's produced some junk, sure, but also some legitimately solid stuff like Old Man's War. He's definitely no KJA.

And the Hugo nomination is disappointing for sure. I still think he'll win a Nebula first, though. The KJA circlejerk over there was started back around 2008, and it's gained too much momentum to slow down at this point...
Sardaukar Capt

Post by Sardaukar Capt »

I read Redshirts and liked it but I did not think it was original enough to warrant something like a Hugo but apparently Scalzi is good at campaigning for them.

Truth be told, I like Scalzi as an author and I really like his Old Man's War books except for The Last Colony and Zoe's Tale which I thought were crap compared to the first two and yet ironically both were nominated for a Hugo.

Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Loved Old Man's War.
~Pink Snowman
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Omphalos wrote:If myself from ten years ago heard me saying this now, I am sure I would sock myself in the jaw. But man, oh man SF literature really, really sucks these days. Most of it is absolutely unreadable.
To be honest, I'm not reading that much SF these days - at least not new SF - but there is some readable stuff out there that's not too old. Gibson's The Peripheral was quite good. The Martian by Andy Weir and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline were both fun reads, and well-written. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi had some great ideas, although the storytelling itself was lacking, I thought. I'll probably read his new one out later this year.

Right now I'm reading Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds, but I guess that's 10 years old, now. But it's meaty SF goodness.

But yeah, good SF is definitely thinner on the ground these days. It's sad that KJAs by-the-numbers space opera could get a look-in for the Hufos, but I'm not that surprised.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Hunchback Jack wrote:
Omphalos wrote:If myself from ten years ago heard me saying this now, I am sure I would sock myself in the jaw. But man, oh man SF literature really, really sucks these days. Most of it is absolutely unreadable.
To be honest, I'm not reading that much SF these days - at least not new SF - but there is some readable stuff out there that's not too old. Gibson's The Peripheral was quite good. The Martian by Andy Weir and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline were both fun reads, and well-written. The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi had some great ideas, although the storytelling itself was lacking, I thought. I'll probably read his new one out later this year.

Right now I'm reading Absolution Gap by Alastair Reynolds, but I guess that's 10 years old, now. But it's meaty SF goodness.

But yeah, good SF is definitely thinner on the ground these days. It's sad that KJAs by-the-numbers space opera could get a look-in for the Hufos, but I'm not that surprised.

HBJ

Goodnight Golden Path!
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

Hunchback Jack wrote:The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi had some great ideas, although the storytelling itself was lacking, I thought.

HBJ
I agree on all three points. More and more I am drifting to other genres.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."