• Register
  • Login
  •          

What are you reading?

Non-dune discussion

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Re: What are you reading?

Postby SadisticCynic » 15 Aug 2017 07:05

Yes, you have but I had forgotten about it!

Very cool to see videos of Octavia speaking. She seems like one of those people it would be awesome to have known.

I finished the Parable novels. Brutal reading, but I think probably the best of what I've read so far. Kindred is still on the list though, and it's apparently the famous one.

Now I have a copy of Erewhon by Samuel Butler. I remember Chig talking about this one, way back in ye olden dayes.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    SadisticCynic

Postby Omphalos » 22 Aug 2017 10:51

There's a Dune connection with that one too. Someone theorized that is where the name in the Butlerian Jihad came from.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby SadisticCynic » 17 Sep 2017 18:23

Omphalos wrote:There's a Dune connection with that one too. Someone theorized that is where the name in the Butlerian Jihad came from.

I think that makes a lot of sense. The whole sections titled The Book of the Machines are pretty great, covering transhumanism, A.I., consciousness, "the extended phenotype" and a whole list of other very modern topics all the way back in 1872. That said apart from the really philosophical parts I found it a little dull plot wise. I might have missed some connections though; there's an awful lot of nice social commentary some of which is definitely ironic, but I expect some of it fits the time when the novel was written better.

After that I've started reading The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

I finished A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn and On Anarchism by Noam Chomsky, and now I've started No Is Not Enough by Klein. On a real anti-establishment streak, I guess.
    Ah English, the language where pretty much any word can have any meaning! - A Thing of Eternity
    SadisticCynic

Postby Omphalos » 18 Sep 2017 15:18

SadisticCynic wrote:
    Omphalos wrote:There's a Dune connection with that one too. Someone theorized that is where the name in the Butlerian Jihad came from.

I think that makes a lot of sense. The whole sections titled The Book of the Machines are pretty great, covering transhumanism, A.I., consciousness, "the extended phenotype" and a whole list of other very modern topics all the way back in 1872. That said apart from the really philosophical parts I found it a little dull plot wise. I might have missed some connections though; there's an awful lot of nice social commentary some of which is definitely ironic, but I expect some of it fits the time when the novel was written better.

After that I've started reading The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood.

I finished A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn and On Anarchism by Noam Chomsky, and now I've started No Is Not Enough by Klein. On a real anti-establishment streak, I guess.

Most utopian novels are boring as hell, IMHO.
    Omphalos
    Inglorious Bastard

Postby Serkanner » 19 Sep 2017 16:53

I have started my second reading of "A song of ice and fire". Which is a bit painful because it is a series I shared, both reading and watching, very closely with Laura, my ex, but it is worth it.
    "... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
    and wrote a Dune Novel."
    Serkanner

Previous

Return to ˲