On why I think DUNE could be made into a great movie

Moderators: Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos

halcyo

Post by halcyo »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:And though Duncan doesn't play a massive role in the first novel, it's likely he would play a bigger role in the film because of the possibility of having a few sequels...

...thus we need a really quality actor.
AGREED.... I'd love to seem him played by a guy who can really pull off the balanced, quiet reserve of Duncan, with a quality that makes him the longest character in the entire series!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:And though Duncan doesn't play a massive role in the first novel, it's likely he would play a bigger role in the film because of the possibility of having a few sequels...

...thus we need a really quality actor.
I wouldn't start holding out hope for sequels.
horse before the cart going over the cliff together, as it were.

I figure the movie will be a repeat of the 84 one - sorta impressive,
fail at capturing the story, not understood by a general audience, of
interest to Dune fans only.

unless Keith convinces someone in charge that Dune is the new Star Wars ...
................ I exist only to amuse myself ................
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
how to fully interact with people.
~ "Spice Grandson" (Bryon Merrit) 08 June 2008
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

What do you mean, "unless?"

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

I meant movie-wise;
he's obviously got TOR/Macmillan on the gravy train ....
ImageImage

I personally feel that this message board, Jacurutu, is full of hateful folks who don't know
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

SandRider wrote:I wouldn't start holding out hope for sequels.
horse before the cart going over the cliff together, as it were....
They're already billing it as their Lord of the Rings. I'm pretty sure no matter what I'm hoping for, the studio's hoping for sequels.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:
SandRider wrote:I wouldn't start holding out hope for sequels.
horse before the cart going over the cliff together, as it were....
They're already billing it as their Lord of the Rings. I'm pretty sure no matter what I'm hoping for, the studio's hoping for sequels.
where are you seeing this at ? linky ?
ImageImage

halcyo

Post by halcyo »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:They're already billing it as their Lord of the Rings. I'm pretty sure no matter what I'm hoping for, the studio's hoping for sequels.
Well, they always hope for sequels. More $$$. Everybody wants a piece of that Lord O' Da Rings cake, but it seems like the greed is what ends up ruining the production usually.

The difference with Lord Of The Rings was a production team who was PASSIONATE about bringing Tolkien to the screen, versus someone treating it like just a brand to be sold.

Besides, we all know that Dune has NOTHING in common with Lord Of The Rings from a conceptual standpoint. It is far deeper, and far more subtle a story...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:They're already billing it as their Lord of the Rings.
I haven't heard this, either. What's your source?
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

halcyo wrote:The difference with Lord Of The Rings was a production team who was PASSIONATE about bringing Tolkien to the screen, versus someone treating it like just a brand to be sold.
The difference was the Tolkien Estate's demand that the entire story be told, however
the production team saw fit, to avoid the disaster of the late 70s animated movie which
showed half the story, with the promise of another movie that never happened.

The difference was a Family that cared about the Legacy it had been entrusted with.
ImageImage

EsperandoAGodot

Sorry.

While Berg has made comparisons to Lord of the Rings, it's really just all the bloggers and magazine writers billing it as a possible franchise film.

Of course, as halcyo points out, it's highly unlikely they're not hoping for sequels.
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

They definitely want sequels - and that;s when the role of our favourite co-producers get;s worrying. A Harry Potter style book-for-book series would be great... but here we have some pliable amateur authors who love writing money-friendly sequels. GEOD aint' going to happen, the approach they seem to be taking doesn't mesh with that sort of creativity.

If not Paul of Dune, a "Heroes of Dune" interquel film would be likely. Fremen, Muad'dib, battles 'un shit an' all that - that's what Dune is about, and that's what sells. And KJA writes 'em faster than paramount can make 'em :D :?
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

EaG, go back and look at the first news releases about the movie; they talked about it being a "tentpole" or some such silliness. They're definitely thinking sequels, if I understood what that meant.

Or maybe it just meant they were real excited and pitching tents? ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

A "tentpole" movie is more of a big release than can help support a studio's smaller releases (see, because it holds up the huge metaphorical tent and the smaller movies are all sheltered). If the tentpole does well, then the profits are usually gigantic and more than enough to offset any losses from the smaller films.

Like most slang expressions, though, the meaning for "tentpole" has evolved. Now it's used by many people to mean simply "a big movie."
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

A "tentpole" film means that you only have to hit it in one place to knock the whole damn thing down, so yea, this will be a tentplole film, Im sure.

Goodnight Golden Path!
Drunken Idaho

Post by Drunken Idaho »

Somehow, I don't think that Berg and co. share the same views as Brian and the hack. Peter Berg seems to be a fan of Frank Herbert, so I think he recognizes which stories should be told.
"The Idahos were never ordinary people."
-Reverend Mother Superior Alma Mavis Taraza
EsperandoAGodot

Drunken Idaho wrote:Somehow, I don't think that Berg and co. share the same views as Brian and the hack. Peter Berg seems to be a fan of Frank Herbert, so I think he recognizes which stories should be told.
What's more, the studio is prophet driven, and I don't think the reviews/fan response of KJH and BH's work is something Paramount's overlooked.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Drunken Idaho wrote:Somehow, I don't think that Berg and co. share the same views as Brian and the hack. Peter Berg seems to be a fan of Frank Herbert, so I think he recognizes which stories should be told.
And you get that from him talking about Dune being a great adventure film that he could have a "muscular" time with? Whatever.

Goodnight Golden Path!
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:the studio is prophet driven
What a coïnky-dinky, so was "the Muad'Dib's Jihad"! :P

;)

Serious question for any long-term Berg watchers here, though: has his name ever been associated with Dune in any way before this movie deal came up? Some interview from years back where they asked him about his interests or tastes in literature and he mentioned scifi and Dune? Anyone sightings of him reading in a Starbucks somewhere and the book just happened to be God Emperor? Anything of that sort?

Sorry, but after seeing the catchy refrain "We're the world's two biggest fans of Dune" droned into meaninglessness and proven a blatant self-serving lie, I now require something a little more substantial than someone just claiming to be a fan before I believe.
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Well that's just it; when David Cronenberg tells you he's a fan of horror, it isn't a stretch to believe it. When Peter Jackson says he loves fantasy, the truth is self-evident. When Steven Spielberg says he likes sci-fi, the reaction is a resounding "Duh!" :)

But to answer your question, no, Berg has never even hinted he was at all interested in science fiction, Dune or anything of the sort before this project came along. His projects don't indicate he has the slightest interest in anything remotely resembling complexity or existentialism. About as close Berg gets to "deep" is being a protege of Michael Mann and from the looks of Berg's work, he's going to be living in Mann's shadow for the rest of his life.

Attaching Berg as director of Dune is like hiring John Woo to film Pride and Prejudice :)

The real reason Berg was picked is likely because he was next up in the studio rotation.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
EsperandoAGodot

SandChigger wrote:
What a coïnky-dinky, so was "the Muad'Dib's Jihad"! :P

;)
Yes, and the free market has spoken on that... :lol:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Ahp. :D

GP, I forget, have you seen Hancock yet? Or are you forgoing that ... "pleasure"?
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

I recall that the initial articles about his choice make it pretty clear that he lobbied for the job because he thought it was time for him to do an action adventure piece with an "epic" feel about it.

Goodnight Golden Path!
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

SandChigger wrote:Serious question for any long-term Berg watchers here, though: has his name ever been associated with Dune in any way before this movie deal came up?
Not once.
SandRider
Watermaster

Post by SandRider »

SandChigger wrote:
What a coïnky-dinky, so was "the Muad'Dib's Jihad"!
I swear to g-d, I read that right after EsperantoAGoGo posted, and
almost quoted it and posted "nah, I'll let Chigger have that one" ...
ImageImage

SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Thou art kind, and hast a great heart.

For a tardy-gaited knave.