Dune fans: your director could be THIS bad

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

TheDukester

Dune fans: your director could be THIS bad

Post by TheDukester »

Oh, dearie me ...

Not a good day for big Robert E. Howard/Conan fans (of which I'm happy to count myself one of ... or something ... that's not a real sentence, but whatever): Conan 2010 is to be directed by Bret Ratner:

http://www.cinematical.com/

I will take Peter Berg over this clown any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

Ugh. Two of my favorite fictional worlds are getting the movie treatment in 2010 ... and both movies are going to suck like a Tijuana hooker.
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Jesus fucking christ on a goddamn pogostick and i thought Rodriguez's take on Red Sonja sounded bad.....

Rob
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

It's way down at the bottom of the page. Here it is before it disappears:
Ratner to Delay Ruining 'BHC 4' So He Can Ruin 'Conan' First

by Eric D. Snider Nov 9th 2008 // 5:33PM

Brett Ratner seems like a perfect fit for Beverly Hills Cop 4: a director nobody likes making a sequel nobody wants. It was announced back in May that he was taking on the project, with Eddie Murphy and an R-rated approach intact despite rumors to the contrary on both counts. But now, with a BHC 4 script still unfinished, Ratner is looking at something to work on in the meantime -- a reboot of Conan the Barbarian.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Ratner is thisclose to signing a deal to direct a hard-R-rated Conan, with a 2010 release in mind. The screenplay is by Joshua Oppenheimer and Thomas Dean Donnelly, who also wrote Sahara and A Sound of Thunder and based their Conan script on the original stories from the 1930s. (Yes, that's when Conan was created. No, he wasn't an ancient mythological character.) THR notes that Oppenheimer and Donnelly are "doing a quick polish" of their work "to incorporate some of Ratner's ideas." That doesn't bode well -- but then again, neither does hiring the guys who wrote Sahara and A Sound of Thunder.

On the other hand, the original Conan stories weren't exactly high literature. They were pulpy, cheesy, and goofy. The first Conan movie, Conan the Barbarian, which helped launch the career of a certain U.S. governor, wasn't very faithful to those stories, but it was successful in its own right. The sequel, Conan the Destroyer, was jokier and went for a softer rating, thus dooming the franchise after only two entries. A loud, explosive, over-the-top, ridiculous reboot might be just what the character needs -- in which case Ratner is definitely the man for the job.

Oh, and Ratner still intends to direct BHC 4, too, only now it will be after Conan. That means for the next couple years, Ratner will be too busy to interfere with anymore superhero franchises, which will help a lot of comic-book geeks sleep easier.
I was going to think of something witty to reply with, but this fella writing the article already beat me to them all. I'm jealous :)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

GamePlayer wrote:It's way down at the bottom of the page.
Yeah, I'd never heard of the site, but I thought it was funny. The news is also beginning to appear on more traditional news sites now, too.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

A movie "Conan" couldn't suck, right? I mean, it'll be filled with gore and nudity and racism and evil wizards. An excellent summer movie!

*Note 1: I haven't seen the other two movies but it enjoy the cartoon when I was a kid.

*Note 2: I like sarcasm, just about as much as I hate cats. Slayer of Kittens ftw! :)
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

:shock:

You haven't seen the movies?! Oh. My. Gawd.

You really MUST see the first. Be sure to get the cut with the early scene where Conan "shtoops the firebrand". ;)
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I've been meaning to see them. In April/May I went to Blockbuster to rent them but couldn't find the movies. I'll try again soon. I have no desire to get on Conan's bad side.

Conan's the guy with the red hair, right? :wink:
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nerdy late-nite Mick? Yeah, that's him. :wink:
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

Speaking of raping source material, did anyone see A Sound of Thunder?
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

I've thought about it but heard that it was terrible. Maybe if it plays on TV...
Sole Man

on A sound of thunder

Post by Sole Man »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:Speaking of raping source material, did anyone see A Sound of Thunder?
That's the Ray Bradbury where they step on a butterfly in Dinosuar times and it changes all the humans in the "Present" to dinosuars, or something of that general nture?

I saw the movie and thought it was good, but never read the story. (Or book or whatever it was)
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Oh...that thing?

Sorry, EAG, it was so completely shitty that I obviously blocked all memories even associating the title with it.

Litany of St. Mallory time: BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD.

Even the SFX don't save it. Just BAD.

Avoid at all costs if you haven't seen it. (Or watch it with drunk friends, make popcorn and throw it at the TV.)

Read the Bradbury story instead.

(BAD)
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

I was warned about how unbelievably bad that show was by coworkers, thankfully.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
EsperandoAGodot

Post by EsperandoAGodot »

SandChigger wrote:Oh...that thing?

Sorry, EAG, it was so completely shitty that I obviously blocked all memories even associating the title with it.
Yeah, I know, I saw it. I paid money to see it.
SandChigger wrote:Even the SFX don't save it. Just BAD.
The SFX were godawful.
SandChigger wrote:(Or watch it with drunk friends, make popcorn and throw it at the TV.)
Drunk friends...popcorn throwing...yes, that was my experience.
SandChigger wrote:Read the Bradbury story instead.

(BAD)
My favorite Bradbury story :-(.

Anyway, yeah, if these guys are responsible for A Sound of Thunder, then, well...Conan doesn't stand a chance.
DUNE - Chronicles of the Imperium
A free-form, forum based RPG
http://boards.theforce.net/non_star_war ... 346/p1/?11
Launched and ready to fire.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

EsperandoAGodot wrote:Yeah, I know, I saw it. I paid money to see it.
OUCH. :(

I mean, I paid to see it, too, but it was on one of my satellite movie channels, so the monetary pain at least was more diffuse. ;)
Simon

Post by Simon »

Robspierre wrote:Jesus fucking christ on a goddamn pogostick and i thought Rodriguez's take on Red Sonja sounded bad.....

Rob
::shivers::: uugghhh Red Sonja, I'd forgotten about that pile.
Simon

Re: Dune fans: your director could be THIS bad

Post by Simon »

TheDukester wrote:Oh, dearie me ...

Not a good day for big Robert E. Howard/Conan fans (of which I'm happy to count myself one of ... or something ... that's not a real sentence, but whatever): Conan 2010 is to be directed by Bret Ratner:

http://www.cinematical.com/

I will take Peter Berg over this clown any day of the week (and twice on Sundays).

Ugh. Two of my favorite fictional worlds are getting the movie treatment in 2010 ... and both movies are going to suck like a Tijuana hooker.
Hope they pick a good Conan...