Dune Font [Finished]

Image
    The films, miniseries, music, video games, etc...

Moderators: ᴶᵛᵀᴬ, Omphalos, Freakzilla

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Dune Font [Finished]

Postby DuneFishUK » 19 Oct 2008 17:06

http://dunefont.co.nr/

----

Now I've woken up my attempt to recreate the classic US Dune font I thought I'd start a dedicated thread rather than clogging up the Suggestions board.

I think now I've run out of official letters to copy - Q, X, Y are the only ones left. Apart from that there's a few bits of tinkering to do - to make the letters look right.

Progress so far:
Image

It seems that the famous font is actually two fonts - one's a bit straighter/more normal than the other. The main diff is in the A:
Image
I think I like the curvier A (right) better than the other one.

Crit/comments are welcome: It's still early days, so some fresh eyes looking at this would appreciated!
Last edited by DuneFishUK on 25 Feb 2009 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 19 Oct 2008 17:28

Had a tinker with that logo using the J from one of the Jesus Incident covers:
Image

:)

User avatar
Seraphan
Posts: 749
Joined: 03 Jul 2008 08:36
Location: Right Behind You!
Contact:

Postby Seraphan » 19 Oct 2008 18:05

Very nice and impressive :o
Image
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood

User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 19 Oct 2008 18:33

Yeah, looks REALLY good! :D

I've only halfway been paying attention so far, so sorry if this has been answered, but what kind of font will this be when you're done? TrueType? PostScript?

(Have to confess I don't know all that much about fonts. :oops: )
I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6637
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Postby Omphalos » 19 Oct 2008 19:00

I think it looks great, and I agree, the curvy "A" looks better.

User avatar
trang
Posts: 1223
Joined: 06 May 2008 18:59
Location: Hot Tub Time Machine
Contact:

Postby trang » 19 Oct 2008 21:51

That really is cool, nice work.

Trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Image

User avatar
GamePlayer
70mm God
Posts: 2993
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby GamePlayer » 19 Oct 2008 22:10

Very nice. It looks great. I can't wait to see the final work
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."

User avatar
Lisan Al-Gaib
Posts: 418
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 15:34
Location: In the Heart of My Religion.

Postby Lisan Al-Gaib » 19 Oct 2008 22:22

Jacurutu will never be the same with this logo.

I would like to know: How I download fonts and put it in my winword?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals


User avatar
Ampoliros
Posts: 2518
Joined: 14 Mar 2008 11:22
Location: I think we took a wrong turn...

Postby Ampoliros » 20 Oct 2008 01:02

sweetness!
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus

User avatar
Simon
Posts: 566
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:15
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Dune Font [Work-in-Progress]

Postby Simon » 20 Oct 2008 01:03

DuneFishUK wrote:Now I've woken up my attempt to recreate the classic US Dune font I thought I'd start a dedicated thread rather than clogging up the Suggestions board.

I think now I've run out of official letters to copy - Q, X, Y are the only ones left. Apart from that there's a few bits of tinkering to do - to make the letters look right.

Progress so far:
Image

It seems that the famous font is actually two fonts - one's a bit straighter/more normal than the other. The main diff is in the A:
Image
I think I like the curvier A (right) better than the other one.

Crit/comments are welcome: It's still early days, so some fresh eyes looking at this would appreciated!


I agree, this looks very sharp! 8)

User avatar
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard
Posts: 6637
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 11:07
Location: The Mighty Central Valley of California
Contact:

Postby Omphalos » 20 Oct 2008 01:26

DuneFishUK wrote:Had a tinker with that logo using the J from one of the Jesus Incident covers:
Image

:)


I like that "The Cast Out" looks kind of pirate-y too. Freak should love that.

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18164
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 20 Oct 2008 08:49

I do!

I love what you've done with this font, DuneFish and I plan to use it to create a new theme, if you don't mind. I've been keeping my eye's out for a font similar to the one on the books, hopefully this will motivate me to get new artwork done.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18164
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 20 Oct 2008 08:49

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:Jacurutu will never be the same with this logo.

I would like to know: How I download fonts and put it in my winword?


Just put the file in your windows/font/ folder.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
A Thing of Eternity
Posts: 6090
Joined: 08 Apr 2008 15:35
Location: Calgary Alberta

Postby A Thing of Eternity » 20 Oct 2008 11:49

Very cool.
Image

User avatar
Drunken Idaho
Posts: 1197
Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Drunken Idaho » 20 Oct 2008 13:25

Awesome!

Everyone should see my draft version of a possible banner. Keep in mind that I made it using the "VictorianD" font, so that's why the A is totally wrong. You get the idea though.

Image

I am also a fan, however, of the clean black & white look you have above.

User avatar
Drunken Idaho
Posts: 1197
Joined: 15 Sep 2008 23:56
Location: Ontario, Canada

Postby Drunken Idaho » 20 Oct 2008 13:53

Baraka Bryan wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:Awesome!

Everyone should see my draft version of a possible banner. Keep in mind that I made it using the "VictorianD" font, so that's why the A is totally wrong. You get the idea though.

Image

I am also a fan, however, of the clean black & white look you have above.


are you able to create the same background effect on the banner made by DuneFish?


Absolutely... But only with his permission. Wouldn't want to step on his toes...

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 20 Oct 2008 14:55

Drunken Idaho wrote:
Baraka Bryan wrote:
Drunken Idaho wrote:Awesome!

Everyone should see my draft version of a possible banner. Keep in mind that I made it using the "VictorianD" font, so that's why the A is totally wrong. You get the idea though.

Image

I am also a fan, however, of the clean black & white look you have above.


are you able to create the same background effect on the banner made by DuneFish?


Absolutely... But only with his permission. Wouldn't want to step on his toes...


Blatantly! - the black and white is just work-in-progress on the actual font. If you can make it cool then go for it! - looking forward to seeing what you can do (and I've got a couple of random thoughts myself :)). atm I'm just doing this for shits, giggles and that I've always wanted to have a go at font making. Freak and co have the final word if they want to use any of it or want to go with something different.

(If you want bigger or vector give us a shout)

I'm hoping to get this all wrapped up as a ttf fairly soon - after that I'll upload it if anyone's interested. :wink:

User avatar
GamePlayer
70mm God
Posts: 2993
Joined: 09 Feb 2008 11:26
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Postby GamePlayer » 20 Oct 2008 14:57

DuneFishUK wrote:I'm hoping to get this all wrapped up as a ttf fairly soon - after that I'll upload it if anyone's interested. :wink:


I'm very interested...in the FONT (just making that clear) :) :wink:
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."

User avatar
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego
Posts: 18164
Joined: 05 Feb 2008 01:27
Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Contact:

Postby Freakzilla » 20 Oct 2008 15:02

DuneFishUK wrote:Freak and co have the final word if they want to use any of it or want to go with something different.


Oh, I'm going to use the hell out of it here.
Image
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Postby DuneFishUK » 20 Oct 2008 15:05

Omphalos wrote:
DuneFishUK wrote:Had a tinker with that logo using the J from one of the Jesus Incident covers:
Image

:)


I like that "The Cast Out" looks kind of pirate-y too. Freak should love that.


That's a font called Caslon Antique.. and I think it's my favourite font. I don't know why.. but it's amazing for quotes :P :
Image

Sole Man

on Dunefish's fonts

Postby Sole Man » 20 Oct 2008 16:31

Its good, but there's just something about the U...


Its look too... Ech Prequelish.

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: on Dunefish's fonts

Postby DuneFishUK » 20 Oct 2008 16:41

Sole Man wrote:Its good, but there's just something about the U...


Its look too... Ech Prequelish.


:shock: A preekish U? Can't be having that.. I'll see if I can't have a tinker :)

Bit of an update - all the letters are basically done!... just some tinkering and node-nudging to do now.

Image

Q and X are brand new - FH never used them in a title :P Thoughts welcome...

User avatar
DuneFishUK
Posts: 1988
Joined: 25 May 2008 14:14
Location: Cool Britannia
Contact:

Re: on Dunefish's fonts

Postby DuneFishUK » 20 Oct 2008 17:50

DuneFishUK wrote:...and X are brand new - FH never used them in a title :P


The Dosadi Experiment.... :oops:

Ah well... one idea:
Image

:)

User avatar
Lisan Al-Gaib
Posts: 418
Joined: 11 Feb 2008 15:34
Location: In the Heart of My Religion.

Re: on Dunefish's fonts

Postby Lisan Al-Gaib » 20 Oct 2008 18:15

DuneFishUK wrote:
Sole Man wrote:Its good, but there's just something about the U...


Its look too... Ech Prequelish.


:shock: A preekish U? Can't be having that.. I'll see if I can't have a tinker :)

Bit of an update - all the letters are basically done!... just some tinkering and node-nudging to do now.

Image

Q and X are brand new - FH never used them in a title :P Thoughts welcome...


Where I can download this fonts? Are you making it available? :P

I really like it! I would like to use it on my college homeworks! :wink:
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals


User avatar
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero
Posts: 14490
Joined: 08 Feb 2008 22:29
Location: "Whatcha having, shoog? Hurry up and order now, I ain't got all day!"
Contact:

Postby SandChigger » 20 Oct 2008 19:49

Very nice.

Put me down as interested in the font as well. :)
I have heard of only one mistake that doesn’t have an explanation for a careful reader...with an open mind. (And, no, I’m not going to tell you what it is!) —KJA

I don't like every writer's style; for instance, I have never been able to get through Ursula LeGuin, China Mieville, or Iain Banks, all of whom are critical darlings. —KJA

I...had written a bunch of Star Wars and X-Files books...that proved not just that I'm a hack, but that I could write in somebody else's universe... —KJA


Return to “˱”