Children of Dune Movie Sci-fi Channel

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: Children of Dune Movie Sci-fi Channel

Post by Freakzilla »

Mexican Lion:

Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Arrrmanda

Post by Arrrmanda »

You guys are missing out not seeing CoD. Not only is the soundtrack brilliant, but James McAvoy is pretty great at Leto II. It was one of the first American things he did, and the series was lucky to get him before he was in demand.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Arrrmanda wrote:You guys are missing out not seeing CoD. Not only is the soundtrack brilliant, but James McAvoy is pretty great at Leto II. It was one of the first American things he did, and the series was lucky to get him before he was in demand.
I completly agree about the soundtrack and it's true James McAvoy does play a great role.
But Leto II roaring like the sandworms do in the show? No thanks.
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I don't like adults doing the roles of children... I will be extremely pissed if the actors in the upcoming Ender's Game adaptation look any older than 12 or are said to be any older than 12. (In the book they're around 9)
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Sadly, I expect they'll be in their teens, to try to grab the teen hearthrob susceptible crowd.

HBJ
"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
- Carl Sagan

I'm still very proud of The Quarry but … let's face it; in the end the real best way to sign off would have been with a great big rollicking Culture novel.
- Iain Banks
Arrrmanda

Post by Arrrmanda »

It is super frustrating seeing 20 something's playing Leto and Ghanima, but they obviously felt they had to age them some for Television, which I understand. It makes sense. If you don't understand it you're just being silly.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Well, for Ender's Game, them being kids is the entire point. It's Battle School, for fuck's sake! If adults could do the job, then there wouldn't be such a place.

Leto and Ghanima should have actors that look no older than 12, and are stated to be no older than 12. It's an acceptable age-jump, and I'm sure they can get someone that looks that age. I won't go any higher because if they were any older than Alia's rule as regent would be nil, and I'm pretty sure they'd have dealt with a lot more assassination attempts by now. Plus, Alia would have gone insane long ago. It just doesn't feel right as far as the timeline and how all their ages/characters relate to it.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

These were not merely nine-year-old children; they were a natural force,
objects of veneration and fear. They were the children of Paul Atreides, who had
become Muad'Dib, the Mahdi of all the Fremen. Muad'Dib had ignited an explosion
of humanity; Fremen had spread from this planet in a jihad, carrying their
fervor across the human universe in a wave of religious government whose scope
and ubiquitous authority had left its mark on every planet.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Arrrmanda

Post by Arrrmanda »

Freakzilla wrote:These were not merely nine-year-old children; they were a natural force,
objects of veneration and fear. They were the children of Paul Atreides, who had
Yeah, we've all read the book, are you defending aging them or not?

I think the CoD mini series' misstep was that they thought the twins wouldn't be a believable threat to Alia unless they were older. Which is dumb, but it seems they just failed to establish that Fremen children matured quicker, especially Muad'Dibs, or didn't care to. It's not like it's something Hollywood has never done before though.
It just doesn't feel right as far as the timeline and how all their ages/characters relate to it.
The actor's ages never fit in the whole mini series. Alia is supposed to be around 16 (?) during DM, and she looks 25 and then when she is supposed to be 25 she looks 36, yet Jessica is shocked that she appears to not have aged at all (a sign of the abomination). That's what we get with TV unfortunately.
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Arrrmanda wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:These were not merely nine-year-old children; they were a natural force,
Yeah, we've all read the book, are you defending aging them or not?
No, I think they should be as close to nine as possible.
I think the CoD mini series' misstep was that they thought the twins wouldn't be a believable threat to Alia unless they were older. Which is dumb, but it seems they just failed to establish that Fremen children matured quicker, especially Muad'Dibs, or didn't care to. It's not like it's something Hollywood has never done before though.
It wasn't because they were Fremen, it was because they were pre-born.
~Pink Snowman
chanilover

Post by chanilover »

Arrrmanda wrote:You guys are missing out not seeing CoD. Not only is the soundtrack brilliant, but James McAvoy is pretty great at Leto II. It was one of the first American things he did, and the series was lucky to get him before he was in demand.
yep. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
"You and your buddies and that b*tch Mandy are nothing but a gang of lying, socially maladjusted losers." - St Hypatia of Arrakeen.
Arrrmanda

Post by Arrrmanda »

Freakzilla wrote:It wasn't because they were Fremen, it was because they were pre-born.
No shit, really?
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

Cat fight!
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

The characters in Ender's game are actual children. In COD - the twins are never actually children as such - there is no way you could get a nine-year-old to act a credible Leto II - hell they'd be pushed to find a 15-year-old Paul. (Which is why both Pauls so far have been in the 20s)

It is a bit annoying, but probably the only way to get round that barrier would be to make an animated film.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Post by A Thing of Eternity »

Animated Dune would be the absolute best option in my opinion. Either oldschool western hand drawn style, or Japanese style would be fine by me.
Harq al Ada

Post by Harq al Ada »

that could be pretty darn cool.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Freakzilla

Post by Freakzilla »

Arrrmanda wrote:
Freakzilla wrote:It wasn't because they were Fremen, it was because they were pre-born.
No shit, really?
No shit.
~Pink Snowman
DuneFishUK

Post by DuneFishUK »

I always thought it would be cool to make a version of Dune in the style of Toytanic... but then I realised that might be something better suited to the new books.
- http://www.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - http://dunefont.kullwahad.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -
A Thing of Eternity

Carefull with ye words, we all knows what happens to they who attempt to make Dune footage on their own.... :shock:
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

DuneFishUK wrote:The characters in Ender's game are actual children. In COD - the twins are never actually children as such - there is no way you could get a nine-year-old to act a credible Leto II - hell they'd be pushed to find a 15-year-old Paul. (Which is why both Pauls so far have been in the 20s)

It is a bit annoying, but probably the only way to get round that barrier would be to make an animated film.
Kirsten Dunst portrayed Claudia in Interview With the Vampire at age ten, and Dakota Fanning pulled off some good roles in her time. Even at 15, she looks pretty young.

Yeah, it'll be hard casting, but they can get great actors for the roles (which would both be great for the fans and critics... A gimmick of sorts) at that age, or, like Dakota Fanning, people who look that age.
A Thing of Eternity

Paul realistically needs to be played by someone in the 17-19 year old range who can pull off looking younger when cleanshaven and older with some stubble or a beard. Otherwise you end up with someone too young for the later parts of the story.
Redstar

Post by Redstar »

I really don't mind if the actor is older, but he has to look the age and be stated to be that age. I don't want a 25-year-old actor playing 15-year-old Paul, or, worse, a 25-year-old actor playing "25"-year-old Paul.
A Thing of Eternity

of course.
insidiom

Post by insidiom »

i liked the 1984 movie. it's what got me to read dune in the first place....mainly because i didnt understand a fucking thing in the movie.

the alan smithee version is definitely my favorite take. i mean...when a movie spends ten years in production, it should have some substance to it.
the bits with the heart plugs, the baron, cats/mice, CHAAAAAAA-SA!, and all that mess were definitely creative liberties but i thought they were cool and still do.

i do remember reading comments about the movie using the weirding modules instead of martial arts. they said that had they incorporated the weirding way
in all the battle scenes, it would have looked like a kung-fu movie. i think that probably would have meant for even more ridicule when the movie came out.

honestly, i am just a big fan of whispering. ...plus you have jean-luc AND ming the merciless in the same movie. that alone should have won an oscar just for casting.

you know i simply could not finish the first dune mini-movie. i just felt that they tried too hard with all the effects and costumes.
i might just need to watch it all the way through....but when it got to the scene where feyd-rautha tried to kill the baron with the slave/needle,
they started talking about stuff that wasn't in the book and i didn't understand why the purists liked it so much. i thought the casting was terrible, too.
ill try watching it again in a couple of years....

it might be that i have a beef with the scifi (syfy) channel. when they started airing nothing but shit B horror flicks every day and ECW matches, i lost
my mind. i mean, what does giant killer alligators have to do with scifi?

yeah, definitely biased.

any thoughts on the 2010 dune directed by berg?
"...no one. but the water tastes really bad; like ass and dirt.
i dont suggest that anybody drink the water from their suits. it tastes really bad."
"that it does."

"A man is a fool not to put everything he has, at any given moment, into what he is creating."--FH

darkness loves bbq
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

One of my satellite channels must have bought the rights to broadcast the first mini-series until the crack of doom, because every few months or so they pull it out and put it on again. And every time I see it I like it less. :(

The Lynch movie cracks me up, so I can't hate it.

As for the new movie, is there any way they can still get it into the theaters before the end of 2010? Shouldn't we just start calling it 2011? (Or the more realistic "20??"? :) )

Script by a still largely unknown writer, unclear who the director will be, no cast signed on yet ... how can this succeed?

I'm happy. :P