Some new Peter Berg quotes about new Dune (be warned!)

Moderators: Omphalos, Freakzilla, ᴶᵛᵀᴬ

halcyo

Some new Peter Berg quotes about new Dune (be warned!)

Post by halcyo »

Here's some new quotes from Peter Berg about Dune.... Wow, it looks like this guy is gonna drive us fucking nuts... :(

Peter Berg on Dune

"The hype around [Dune] is understandable but it's a little excessive. The fanatics are worried I'm going to destroy it - I'm like calm down, I read the book when I was a kid too! If you re-read it - it's just a great adventure story. There is a spirituality to it, and a mysticism, and there is a parallel metaphorically about oil, the corporatisation of resources - but at the end of the day, it's about a kid becoming a leader. There's incredible action in it and really great intrigue and betrayals, it's Shakespearean in its scope and I think it'll be a blast."

Peter Berg at guardian.co.uk

------------------------

And finally, Dune. Are you out of your mind?

"Why, are you a Dune 'fanatic'?

Not at all. I haven't even seen David Lynch's notorious version.

"Here's the deal. One, with the advances in CGI, we'll be doing things Lynch couldn't do. Two, I had a completely different experience with the book than he did.

I look forward to taking it on as an adventure story, in the vein of "Star Wars," "Indiana Jones" and "Lord of the Rings." It's a big, bold adventure story. That's how I see it.

And, yes, I am out of my mind."

Peter Berg at austin360.com

--------------------------------

There is a sense in the book that the commodity is driving the train. But I don't want to hang the story on that. I read the book and really liked it. What I never saw in Lynch's film was a really strong adventure story. There's a much more muscular time to be had there.

Peter Berg at The Hollywood Reporter

:shock: Was there a little jab at the Dune 'fantatics' in there?! WTF!? Let's go ahead and rip on the people who are supposed to be your target fucking audience... What an ass. Is Hollywood really this insane that they've decided that we're 'fanatics', and that because we're 'crazy', we must just be stupid if we don't understand why they're approaching the story this way?

halcyo[/b]
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Well, I think that we need to realize that we are not the target audience here. Dip-shit kids with nothing better to do between Wednesday and Sunday in the evenings are. If they made a movie for us, it would be a "cult" movie. Our desires couldn't possibly put them on the road to financial success. :roll:

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

I PASSIONATELY believe that Dune (as in the entire original series), could be made into beautiful, insightful, intelligent, grand, complicated, and interestingly metaphoric movies with some great themes, cast, visuals, and SUBTLETY!

I personally believe that there are some of us here who could probably make an Oscar winning film from this material. I don't believe that Dune has to be a 'cult' movie to be done well. It is full of wide ranging themes that apply to many people and many of our modern problems. It's really not that 'weird' of a book. So far, every production of it, for some unknown reason, insists on making this story MORE complicated and strange than it needs to be (which is why they haven't nailed it!)

Maybe I should just start working on the screenplay?

halcyo
Tleszer

Post by Tleszer »

Omphalos wrote:Well, I think that we need to realize that we are not the target audience here. Dip-shit kids with nothing better to do between Wednesday and Sunday in the evenings are. If they made a movie for us, it would be a "cult" movie. Our desires couldn't possibly put them on the road to financial success. :roll:
While true, this could possibly change if a GEoD is ever made... anyone else looking forward to the obligatory Leto-Hwi sex scene? :D
DUNE, as interpreted by a blue man with a green tushie
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

Nor that they're not worthy of discussion, but those quotes aren't exactly new. The Guardian, interview, for example, is two months old:

viewtopic.php?t=631&start=0

Still, they are interesting thoughts on Berg's part. Not to mention a bit worrisome ...
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

Oh, well, we will have another Star Wars movies. I like Star wars, but that is not DUNE!

I think Berg didn't get Dune either. Why is so dificult to look at SF stories without see "Adventure stories"? Yes, Dune have a lot of thing that could make a incredible adventure movie, but that isnt the essence of the book or the series.

Well, if Berg really didnt get Dune, I expect at least martial art weirding way fights, amazing pics of guild navigator seeing the path through prescience, cool sandworm riding and bird-like or insect-like ornithopters.

at least, in the end, I will be able to buy some nice toys and pc games.
Last edited by Lisan Al-Gaib on 01 Sep 2008 10:51, edited 1 time in total.
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

Rakis

Post by Rakis »

halcyo wrote: Maybe I should just start working on the screenplay?
...and right after you finish it, the HLP will be suing you...

Some people already made an epic movie, but were forbidden to show it... :(
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Berg is a moron and his swipe at critics as "fanatics" is eerily familiar to another hack we all know too well.

I'm with halcyo on this one. A great film adaptation of Dune with mass appeal could be done and done well. A good director knows how to make film; a great director knows how to do it while perfectly balancing the need for art, the need for commercial appeal and the source material. What Dune needs is someone who understands Dune, who understands the art/commercial/source balance of great film and who accepts that Dune can make great film as it is; Berg is obviously not such a person. Every indication is he's ignorant of what Dune is really all about, he's arrogantly dismissive of anyone who knows Dune better than him and he has no interest in creating a Dune film that's anything other than his "adventure" version the he recalls from his childhood.

What I feared most from day one is slowly but surely coming to pass. I weep for this film.
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Yea. Its a tentpole, and it wont be worth the effort unless they can move 500K Burger King cups with Muad'dib on them.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Secher_Nbiw

Re: Some new Peter Berg quotes about new Dune (be warned!)

Post by Secher_Nbiw »

halcyo wrote:Here's some new quotes from Peter Berg about Dune....

I look forward to taking it on as an adventure story, in the vein of "Star Wars," "Indiana Jones" and "Lord of the Rings." It's a big, bold adventure story. That's how I see it.

And, yes, I am out of my mind."

[/b]
This. The film is doomed to be like the pres/seqs. We must take his water.
I am a mortal god.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Great, here i was hoping that he wouldnt make another star wars movie and yet that's exactly what he is going to do. I've had enough of these directors that instead of correctly adapting a literature work like 300 or , what seems to be going as well, the Watchmen; they go around making their version of it. Meaning that they steal the idea to make their own. :evil:
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
orald

Post by orald »

amazing pics of guild navigator folding space,
Oh, God, not again...

OK, Guild Navigators DON'T fold space- the ship's Holtzman engines do that.
They only GUIDE it by predicting the safe course.
In essence, they NAVIGATE.
In memory of Perach, who suffered and died needlessly.

I wish I could have been with you that one last time.
Lisan Al-Gaib

Post by Lisan Al-Gaib »

orald wrote:
Oh, God, not again...

be easy, orald!

I know that! I will correct it :wink:

I was thinking about the horrible Lynch's navigator scene when I wrote that.
So the concept came instantaneously wrong to my mind as I was writting the post. :?
The singular multiplicity of this universe draws my deepest attention. It is a thing of ultimate beauty.

-- The Stolen Journals

halcyo

Post by halcyo »

orald wrote:
Oh, God, not again...

Great point! This is exactly the kind of thing that movie production teams feel like they 'have to do' to make a film adaption of Dune exciting - introduce completely baseless details like Navigators flying around 'making space fold'. If you watch the film/tv adaptions, they are rife with this stuff. They just make whatever assumptions they choose about certain details - even when it is clearly explained in the book to be less complicated - and in the end, it's usually just unnecessary.

halcyo
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Post by Freakzilla »

Lisan Al-Gaib wrote:
orald wrote:
Oh, God, not again...

be easy, orald!

I know that! I will correct it :wink:

I was thinking about the horrible Lynch's navigator scene when I wrote that.
So the concept came instantaneously wrong to my mind as I was writting the post. :?
"Mommy, why is that giant tadpole barfing planets?" :puke:
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
orald

Post by orald »

Freakzilla wrote:"Mommy, why is that giant tadpole barfing planets?" :puke:
"That's because he's possessed by the devil, Tommy dear."
:shock:

trang

Post by trang »

So whats berg gonna title this fiasco?

Raiders of the Golden Path?
'Rakis Paul and the Temple of the Sandworm?
Muad'Dib and the last jihad??
Usal and the Kingdom of the Water Takers?

Worm Wars: The Harkonen Menace?
Spice Wars: Attack of the Gholas?
SandWars: Revenge of Omnius?
Dune Wars Episode IV: A New Messiah?
The Padishah Emperor Strikes Back?
Return of the Fremen?

Lord of the Spice: The fellowship of the Sandworms?
Lord of the Spice: The two Great House's?
Lord of the Spice: Return of the Normacle?

Very Bad Movie? (check bergs filmography)
Friday Night Foldspace?
The Arrakisdom?
Fremencock?

I cant wait to see Paul with a dirty fedora and a whip, can you??

What a miserable waste this project is going to be, If I wanted see another crapy adventure story I would rent the hardy boys series from the early 1980's.

ArrrggHHHH!!
Trang
Last edited by trang on 01 Sep 2008 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

BOOM: Action Water Thinky Movie.

"You Are about to enter a World without Imagination"
<Toto>
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
halcyo

Post by halcyo »

Is there really not some way for us, as a group, to petition to have our thoughts heard by the writers/producers/directors of this movie? Or is our best bet to hope to whatever god there may or most likely may not be that this project gets canceled due to hollywood budget cuts or something?

halcyo
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

halcyo wrote:Is there really not some way for us, as a group, to petition to have our thoughts heard by the writers/producers/directors of this movie? Or is our best bet to hope to whatever god there may or most likely may not be that this project gets canceled due to hollywood budget cuts or something?

halcyo
There has been dissent since before the first suckquel. Just accept that the new film will be an abomination.
orald

Post by orald »

...Or we can assassinate them. By "we" I mean Chig. He's expendable and all.

Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

Yes yes, he's our elite ninja he can get the job done hi hi hi :D
"The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand." - Frank Herbert
“This tutoring is dialectical. Literature makes us better noticers of life; we get to practice on life itself; which in turn makes us better readers of detail in literature; which in turn makes us better readers of life. And so on and on.” - James Wood
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

I don't want to have to face the Imperial Truthsayer. Wait no, I DO want to face the Imperial Truthsayer. That way when I say, the new books are Abomination and should be sentenced to death on the Hanging Tripod she will know I speak truly.
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

You know, the shit will hit the fan when a ''Sandworm podrace sequence'' be added to the movie, or even better, Muad'dib running like a mad in the desert, being chased by a gigantic rock...of course the rock was there thanks to the Muadru, it was guarding the holly relics of Selim Windrider....ho oh ho ho ho.
Seraphan

Post by Seraphan »

I dont know if any of you knew this but it was Ridley Scott that was doing Dino De Laurentiis's Dune production, but ridley's brother died and he was unable to continue the project so they brought in David Lynch. Think about it, the person behind Blade Runner and Alien was making a Dune movie adaptation.
Why in heavens name did they have to hand over this new adaptation to Peter Berg? :cry: