Icelandic Wiener

Fun/Lame Items from DN

Post by Nekhrun »

inhuien

Post by inhuien »

Well bully for Kevin and Brian.
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

You know, I always thought Soul Catcher could use a sequel. I really thought Frank had you know, 6 more books worth of shit to say about that.
Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Ampoliros wrote:You know, I always thought Soul Catcher could use a sequel. I really thought Frank had you know, 6 more books worth of shit to say about that.
That's a good point. Many of FH's books are missing shitty additions. I wonder why they just wipe their asses with Dune when there's so much more left unmolested.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Just wait til they start making shit up out of whole cloth and saying that they found some notes in the UCF Archives justifying the new "Frank Herbert" book.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

Oh sure. What about Pandora? There's that whole gap between Destination: Void and The Jesus Incident that needs to be filled. Not to mention between Jesus and Lazarus.

Dunno what FH was thinking, leaving all that story unexplored.

(To be fair, though, it sounds like BH and KJA just want to republish the existing FH works, not add to them. Let's face it, Dune is probably the only franchise that is enough of a moneyspinner to justify their effort)

HBJ
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

Pretty sure by now that Kevin has an actual stake in the HLP. After all the cash he's made them and the...work...he's done for them, I assume he's weaseled his way in there.

Kevin represents a Clear and Present Danger to the Security of American Literacy. I promise you, if elected, I'll make sure he'll have plenty of time to sign books from a nice little 1 bedroom cell in Cuba.
trang

Post by trang »

Fh's other works are published, a few times over. I guess they mean rererepublished with some space opera battle art on them?

I wonder if every fan chipped in enough we could bribe them to stop writing altogether? Buy Kevin a season pass to yosemite and he can hike till his brains fall out, but has to sign contract not to take that talkie into bookie device.

Im not sure what to offer Brian other than the cash, guess thats enough.Maybe mail him a peice of technology, that might scare him or something.

trang
"Long Live the Fighters", "Dragon.....the other white meat."

Nekhrun
Icelandic Wiener

Post by Nekhrun »

Time for another one...
Which one of you pukes gave them positive feedback about those "blog" entries?

Edit: Rather than double post I thought I'd add this one about Hunters of Dune.
Then I guess that feeling I have isn't like being jaded, otherwise I'd be pleased by that piece of shit.
Omphalos
Inglorious Bastard

Post by Omphalos »

Heh. Bring it on.

The New & Improved Book Review Blog

Goodnight Golden Path!
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

KJA and BH have inadvertently created a whole new strata of Jade that the
world is just starting to catch on to. I hope.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
SandChigger
KJASF Ground Zero

Post by SandChigger »

Nekhrun wrote:Time for another one...
Which one of you pukes gave them positive feedback about those "blog" entries?
Grrrrr. Don't get me started on this one.

I assume you all remember how this went? In response to a comment by me on his MyS blog about the "Dune Blog" not being a real blog because you couldn't comment on the posts there, Kevin stated that the BBS was for comments and interaction with the authors (neither of whom is a publicly declared member there of course). So I started the blog comment threads. Which were the first thing to go during last August's "clearances".

They may get a lot of hits on the "blog" (I'd like to see some real stats, of course) but the only feedback they get on it must be through email. You can't include the comments on KJA's MyS blog, because you have to be his "Friend" to comment there and he deletes or ignores any comments he doesn't like.

Feh.
"Let the dead give water to the dead. As for me, it's NO MORE FUCKING TEARS!"
Spicelon

Post by Spicelon »

It's since become obvious to me that these two asshats are completely,
utterly and hopelessly clueless. They have to be. Being wrong about that
would shake my faith in the universe to the core. I mean, if either one of
them actually stepped back and looked at how much time and energy they
spend on censoring critics, they'd still not realize just how fundamentally
wrong their approach to the process is. And yet, the rape of a truly brilliant
text continues and they laugh all the way to the bank. Calling them tools
would be an insult to hammers.
Poop is funny.
MetaCugel8262 is not.
Hunchback Jack

Post by Hunchback Jack »

I actually do think they're clueless.

I think they believe that there is a small coterie of manic FH-only fans who have a lot of time on their hands, and who wouldn't accept Dune books written by anyone, regardless how good they were.

So the effort the pro-new-crap admins go to to stifle negative feedback is worth it, to prevent a (in their eyes) small, very vocal minority from dominating the discussion. Of course, they don't want the Talifan to brainwash their true fans into thinking the books are crap either.

Just my opinion.

HBJ
Tyrant

Post by Tyrant »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I actually do think they're clueless.

I think they believe that there is a small coterie of manic FH-only fans who have a lot of time on their hands, and who wouldn't accept Dune books written by anyone, regardless how good they were.

So the effort the pro-new-crap admins go to to stifle negative feedback is worth it, to prevent a (in their eyes) small, very vocal minority from dominating the discussion. Of course, they don't want the Talifan to brainwash their true fans into thinking the books are crap either.

Just my opinion.

HBJ

but what they dont realize is that most of the dune population dont like the new books..not just a small % ..... i worked with a guy in his 60's at the airport who knew nothing about kja and BH's hack jobs...he caught me reading Dune Messiah one day on break and he informed me he's read the Dune books for years...before i was born even .... then he told me he got Hun-tards of Dune...he looked at me with an odd look and said " it wasnt very good" ... and he knew nothing of the jihad thats taking place over this bullshit .... so there you have it kja and bh ... people with intelligience see your books for what they are .... which is a MAJORITY of the dune population if you ask me...cause unintelligient people probably wouldnt get dune or like it that much..much less understand it ... my point is ... we're not a minority...we're the majority ...there's lots of voices out there that arent here speaking...people like the guy i worked with
Your friendly neighborhood Tyrant!!!
GamePlayer
70mm God

Post by GamePlayer »

Hunchback Jack wrote:I think they believe that there is a small coterie of manic FH-only fans who have a lot of time on their hands, and who wouldn't accept Dune books written by anyone, regardless how good they were.
"Yeah, yeah, but the dumbnovels members were so preoccupied with whether or not KJA/BH could, they didn't stop to think if they should"

:)
"They can chew you up, but they gotta spit you out."
Serkanner
Administrator

Post by Serkanner »

trang wrote:F
Im not sure what to offer Brian ...

trang
A bottle of Scotch should do.
"... the mystery of life isn't a problem to solve but a reality to experience."

“There is no escape—we pay for the violence of our ancestors.”

Sandrider: "Keith went to Bobo's for a weekend of drinking, watched some DVDs,
and wrote a Dune Novel."
Robspierre

Post by Robspierre »

Serkanner wrote:
trang wrote:F
Im not sure what to offer Brian ...

trang
A bottle of Scotch should do.
No, that's a waste of good booze.

Boones Farm Strawberry Hill should do. :D

Rob
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Nekhrun wrote:
Then I guess that feeling I have isn't like being jaded, otherwise I'd be pleased by that piece of shit.
Uhm... Wouldn't people become jaded from overexposure to too many surprises, plot twists, et al?
But we know, of course, their brilliant solution to this: more battles, more mind-numbing surprises (not in the good sense) and more ultra-, mega-, hyper-, super-duper, -adjectives on everything!
Lundse

My favourite moment at DN

Post by Lundse »

Secher Nbiw has just this beautiful summation of why Paul being born on Caladan is actually a big thing - he brings up the hero/saviour journey from safety/nobility to danger, being born around water vs. Chani's experience and wonder, the oppositions of both water, safety and love.

Afterwards, he contasts FH vs. KJA&BH's 'styles' with theme vs. plot - explaining:
Secher Nbiw wrote:And Dune was very much about themes, so in order to sacrifice theme in favor of plot, you take some of the importance and historical significance of the originals away.
And this is were Byron pops up, and instead of addressing the point (he rarely does), we get this:
boardadmin wrote:And one of Frank's prime themes is to question what you know ...or think you know.

There is no situation where that response cannot be used to argue for the exact opposite of what was just said! A true master of debate! :roll:
Freakzilla
Lead Singer and Driver of the Winnebego

Re: My favourite moment at DN

Post by Freakzilla »

Lundse wrote:And this is were Byron pops up, and instead of addressing the point (he rarely does), we get this:
boardadmin wrote:And one of Frank's prime themes is to question what you know ...or think you know.

There is no situation where that response cannot be used to argue for the exact opposite of what was just said! A true master of debate! :roll:
I've seen him use that many times. I guess it doesn't apply to BH & KJA.

:roll:

They obvioulsy think they know a lot.
Paul of Dune was so bad it gave me a seizure that dislocated both of my shoulders and prolapsed my anus.
~Pink Snowman
Ampoliros

Post by Ampoliros »

or think they know :wink:
Lundse

Post by Lundse »

Ampoliros wrote:or think they know :wink:
Or think they think they know...

Incipit Wittgenstein, but I am too tired for that now.
Sole Man

on Tolkien

Post by Sole Man »

Baraka Bryan wrote:true. they'll probably come to tolkein next and try to convince him of their ability to makr money for the company. probably have it down to a formula where they can projcet the earnings of a book using variables of word-count, reading level, and font size of the series and original author's name on the cover.
I'm sure they would if Chirstopher Tolkien wasn't already doing that...

Isn't that strange? DUNE is compared to the LORD OF THE RINGS, and now we have the sons of both Authors basicaly raping the franchise for all its worth. hmm...
TheDukester

Post by TheDukester »

I'm not seeing that as a good comparison at all.

Christopher Tolkien has taken a scholarly approach to his father's work and has labored for years to get much of his father's unpublished work into print. He has not pretended to be a writer himself, nor has he sold out his father's legacy to one or more hack authors for "extended universe" purposes. He clearly has enormous respect for his father and the literary legacy he left behind.

I'm seeing far more differences than similarities when compared to the vultures and yes-men at the HLP.
"Anything I write will be remembered and listed in bibliographies on Dune for several hundred years ..." — some delusional halfwit troll.